Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer dude
    replied
    Can I work as a Reserve while enrolled? Can a Reserve become Full Time? This night class, is this the extended 11 month class?
    SD

Leave a comment:

• spikeone66
    replied
    If you can't afford the cut in pay, go to a part time night academy on your own and become a reserve officer... you'll get the experience your desiring with half the reports...

Leave a comment:

• sewer dude
    replied
    Originally posted by sewer dude View Post
    Been working hard since the age of 13, am not afraid to get hands dirty, am eligible at 55 (2%) pers. I have another pension from a union and a permanent
    settlement agreement. Need to support kids for another 10 years per divorce.
    I THINK YOU HAVE TALKED ME OUT OF IT, GOT IT VERY CUSHY NOW AND MAKING MORE MONEY THAN A DETECTIVE.
    ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR! AND THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ETC. ETC...............

Leave a comment:

• sewer dude
    replied
    Been working hard since the age of 13, am not afraid to get hands dirty, am eligible at 55 (2%) pers. I have another pension from a union and a permanent
    settlement agreement. Need to support kids for another 10 years per divorce.

Leave a comment:

• SlowDownThere
    replied
    We've seen quite a few people on these boards that are asking about starting a LE career at your age. And most of the replies are encouraging and supportive. If it's your dream, I say go for it.

But let's also be realistic. It's a hard job, one that I wouldn't want to be starting at your age. I'm just 2 years older than you, and I'm looking at retirement. How old will you be when you are eligible for retirement? And are you ready to take that big pay cut?

I'm not trying to talk you out of it.

Leave a comment:

• sewer dude
    replied
    Thanks guys, I have done one of everything as a young teen and a couple of deuces eight years ago, no hardcore drugs. Currently work for a municipality in a non-safety position and if I accept recruit position I will be taking a big cut in pay, but I am currently topped out. They really need officers, am I crazy? Should I just stay where I am at?
    Middle of the fence,
    SD

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    now what are mistakes to you?

I have made a lot of mistakes in my high school days. granted that was only 4 years ago for me but mine have been just dumb teen stuff. I got hired no problem. But if you are talking about a lot of drugs or theft then it probably isnt going to be very easy to get on anywhere. especially if you did then as an adult.

Leave a comment:

• rugermk2
    replied
    Alot depends on what drugs you've tried and how many times you've "experimented" and whether or not you were ever caught and convicted for criminal offenses. Drugs tried will be indicative of your psychological fitness given the long-term affects of some narcotics. Convictions will be relevant to possible impeaching your credibility in certain cases were you to ever testify as a LEO. Alot also depends on what you've done the last 28 years to distance yourself from your "checkered" past.....

You can get innumerable generic answers from BIs on this board, but your best bet would be to call up whatever department/agency you're interested in, and ask to speak with that specific BI regarding your scenario. Some people will tell you it doesn't hurt to apply. Sure, it doesn't, but then again it is a lot of hassle and paperwork to go through just to find out you would have been an auto-DQ anyway no matter how fast you ran on the PT test.

For what it's worth..... good luck

Leave a comment:

• ISPCAPT
    replied
    You are not applying for a job. You are applying to compete against "X" number of others for a job. A lot will depend on what the others bring to the table.

Leave a comment:

• sewer dude
    started a topic Checkered Background!

Checkered Background!

Made alot of mistakes in my past, that will never happen again, never killed a man or forced rape. Just how much will a BI allow before DQ? I will not and am not going to hide anything all my "trouble" happened 28 years ago. I am fit 45 years young and thinking about 6 months of Academy, please reply with wisdom and insights and your thoughts.
    SD

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9542 users online. 492 members and 9050 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X