300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.C.E. or C.B.P.?

Heres my situation, i have been offered a job with CBP to work at an airport as a Customs Officer. I accepted the job and will start next month. I just finished the hiring process with ICE as a Immigration Enforcement Agent and now i'm kind of leaning towards working with them. Pay would be pretty much the same as well as location city. I am pretty bored with the airports as my previous job is with the TSA and i find the ICE position a little more fascinating. Which job would you take and why? Any info that or experience with either agency would be greatly appreciated as i only know what i read.

Thank you

I do plan to stay federal if that helps and i like the plainclothes and agent perks.

Comment

Both are good positions. With IEA, you get some of the perks a Special Agent has, like not being in uniform, but you don't get a home car or the GS-13 pay. However on the upside, i'm not sure how old you are, but with an IEA slot you will get the 6c retirement. Right now CBP Officers do not have 6c, but top out non-competitve at a GS-11 (general scale) in pay grade, while IEA's go to GS-9 (LE scale). Yes, I have heard 6c is 'right around the corner" for CBP Officers, but people have told it is right around the corner for 20 years.

Again, both are excellent jobs with their ups and downs, but each does have advancement opportunities beyond the position themselves...CBP has positions worldwide with CSI (Container Security Initiative) and management openings frequently. And as an IEA within ICE, you could apply for other spots such as Deportation Officer and Special Agent.

Comment

Our IEA DO NOT wear plain clothes!! They are in uniform unless they are in court then they wear suits. Which they have not been to court in months. They are in secondary working cases here at the airport. Little more interesting than stamping? Probably. But they are still here.

If you take CBP, like the others said, get ready to stamp. Most all newbies start off stamping. In one case of the IEA, she is even stamping...as a covered 6c!!! A little against the rules, but what are you going to do?

Comment

ICE...They are 6C covered...

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I think i will choose ice with the hopes of a job that might be out of the airport and will involve less stamping and different challenges. 6c def is nice too. How hard is it to go from IEA to special agent?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4233 users online. 185 members and 4048 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X