300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California 5150 a disqualifier?

I have a friend currently attending college with a major in Criminology. Upon graduation, he'd like to become a police officer. He's expressed to me that he has some concerns over the background check.

When he was 15 years old, he was under 72 hour maximum psychiatric hold (5150) in California. He was not taken into custody by the police. He willingly sought out medical attention from the local ER because he was having suicidal thoughts. Apparently, he suffered from teenage depression and was on an antidepressant medication. There were some issues with his health coverage and was forced to stop taking the medication abruptly, causing him to have these thoughts. There have been no further incidences such as this in his medical history. He has never undergone a background investigation but told me he is positive this is the only thing that would show up.

My question is this; If during the background investigation this comes up (which I'm sure it will), is it likely he will be DQ'd? Is there any future for this kid in law enforcement?

Sorry I wrote an essay here. I just wanted to be very clear. Thanks in advance, everyone!

-Chelle
    "The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do." - John Holt

"One thousand days to learn; Ten thousand days to refine." - Japanese Proverb

This will not be addressed in the background as BIs are not qualified to evaluate medical issues. However, it will be addressed in the psych. How it will affect him will depend on what he tells the shrink and how his mental health is now.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Always Remember, if unsure, you I mean your friend can always apply to find out.
      Good luck
      My LAPD Process
      PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
      PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
      Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
      Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
      Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
      Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
      Backgrounds - In Progress
      Oral Psych - TBD
      Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

Thanks L-1. Very helpful. I'll relay the information.

Oh and MSoCal, you caught me

-Chelle
        "The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do." - John Holt

"One thousand days to learn; Ten thousand days to refine." - Japanese Proverb

Comment

i'm pretty sure the psych will drill your friend on that issue when it comes up during the interview. the suicide question is asked like 10 times on the mmpi psych written test. so your friend will have to explain everything and the psych will make the determination. the job is high stress and you are given a gun and badge...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9668 users online. 495 members and 9173 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X