300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I in the wrong career field?

OK...so I graduated from college with a bachelor's degree in criminology last December. Decided to join the local police academy which started in July. Was happy and content with my decision. Being a police officer seems to be the only thing that I really wanted to pursue. This was not by process of elimination, but something I really wanted to do.

So fast forward to start of police academy. Was told it would be military style, figured I'd be ok...wasn't Dropped out after the first day.

Since then, I have been EXTREMELY frustrated with that decision. I've looked around for jobs in my field but nothing interests me like being a police officer. That decision is probably pretty high up on the list of decisions I most regret.

So now I am at a crossroads. I am located in pittsburgh and you have to pay your own way through the academy. I've heard stories of people graduating from the academy and working part time for a year or two which obviously doesn't appeal to me. Those types of waits, however, usually happen to those without a bachelor's degree.

So I am SERIOUSLY looking into going back to the academy for January's class. And if I do, I am NOT going to drop out and give up. I will go the whole way through.

So am I nuts? Has this happened to any of you before? I basically just set everything back 5 months...at 25, I am ready to settle down with my girlfriend and start living our lives together.

Is there any chance the academy may not let me back in? I know I have to contact them for a definite answer. The academy is the allegheny police academy in case anyone local sees this.

Dont' ask me why I gave up so quickly...way back when I was younger I went to a psychologist when my parents were going through a divorce and he told my mom I just don't like being yelled at...waaaah, I know. I would like to think i am over that by now, haha.

Anyways, like I said, if I go back, there is zero chance of me withdrawing again. Just wanted some opinions. All are welcome. Thanks everyone.

Call and see.. The worst thing they can do is tell you no..

Comment

I am definitely going to do that.

I wish I was in one of those states that pay you to go through the academy and you earn a paycheck....it's really tough to go to the academy and work too....

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE View Post
        Call and see.. The worst thing they can do is tell you no..
        I agree !

Comment

Originally posted by Klemgold View Post

I wish I was in one of those states that pay you to go through the academy and you earn a paycheck....it's really tough to go to the academy and work too....
          I did it, and many others in this forum have done it. It is about what your particular situation is and how bad you want it.

Comment

Let us know what happens..

Good luck

Comment

Can't hurt to try. Good luck to you next time around!
              I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

There are plenty of departments that do that, so if you really desire to have a career in law enforcement, but are concerned about paying your way through (which I can understand), check out other departments and think about moving, even if for a while to get settled into the job and truly see what you think.
                www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Too much heat at the academy??? What do you think will happen on the street?
                  illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by tedgmcc View Post
                    Too much heat at the academy??? What do you think will happen on the street?

Agreed. And I think I didn't view it from that perspective at the time. I was rash with my decision to withdraw and I totally regret doing so. Now I have another 5 months to kick myself until the start of the next class.
                    Last edited by Klemgold; 08-20-2007, 08:43 AM. Reason: Added information.

Comment

i just finished my 6 month academy, in which i paid, and worked full time, and had two college courses on top of that. Its tough but somethhing you got to do. Here in ohio not many places pay for you to go through academy, just those huge cities that recruit like crazy.
                      sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                      Rocky Balboa
                      Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Agreed. And I think I didn't view it from that perspective at the time. I was rash with my decision to withdraw and I totally regret doing so. Now I have another 5 months to kick myself until the start of the next class.
                        There's a secret to surviving a military style Academy. "Don't take all the yelling, B.S. and harrassment personally." The "stress" is there for a purpose, and is based on the premise that: If you can't take stress in the Academy, you can't take it on the street". There may be those who disagree with that theory, and that's OK. You have to deal with the situation you find yourself in though. If you find yourself in an Academy where the instructors are shouting, screaming,and giving you non sensical orders, you deal with it. Get mad, take it personally, you're toast. Discipline yourself. Do the physical stuff, do the academics, put up with the B.S. When you march into the auditorium to recieve your certificate, you'll be in your Class A's, and you'll take away memories which will last you a lifetime. Go for it. Good Luck!!

Comment

Thanks philip. That was a reply that really helped....I think I went in there with the completely wrong mindset.

I am very disciplined in other areas...I have received a black belt in taekwondo and I discipline myself in the gym. I even began running before the academy so I would be in good cardio shape...was up to about 3 miles.

Comment

Thanks philip. That was a reply that really helped....I think I went in there with the completely wrong mindset.

I am very disciplined in other areas...I have received a black belt in taekwondo and I discipline myself in the gym. I even began running before the academy so I would be in good cardio shape...was up to about 3 miles.
                            Sounds good. Keep it up. Again, best of luck!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9200 users online. 519 members and 8681 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X