Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone explain Professional Courtesy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1895bombdog View Post
    It's against CBP policy to use your badge to get out of a ticket.
    But it's not against any federal agency policy to tell a cop that you're an armed federal officer. He will then likely ask you for your ID, which you would be obliged to produce.
    They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

true

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
      But it's not against any federal agency policy to tell a cop that you're an armed federal officer. He will then likely ask you for your ID, which you would be obliged to produce.
      True there are certain ways to introduce the subject into a conversation to achieve a desired effect. However there is also a way of doing it which will get you fired. Being a new hire and by the nature of his question I assume an inexpierienced officer I am more likely to believe he may get himself in more trouble than anything. Hell, I would give him 2 tickets. One for the violation and one for not being very bright.

Comment

The fact he's not even hired yet and out of all things he wants to know about it's professional courtesy, says a lot. He's going to have a LOT to learn if he wants to survive this career.

Also, the fact that a department gets along with any particular agency means very little. Any department or agency is made up of diverse people. Just because an officer or agent works for a particular department doesn't mean he/she thinks and behaves like all his/her co-workers. The reaction you will get is going to be based on the individual, not who they work for.

My best advice for you is to just focus and doing the best you can on the job. If you do get pulled over just respond in the manner CBP's policy states. Do think or worry about professional courtesy. If it comes your way consider yourself lucky.

Comment

Jeeez....

You guys are really coming down hard on this kid. I'm not sure but i think he was just asking a general question so he DOESN'T get caught up in any trouble or step on any toes if the situation occurs. (Granted, i am not an LEO nor a mind-reader who can divine his intentions) I just don't think a newbie asking a question qualifies for a harsh verbal reprimand and insulting his intelligence on an open forum.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnichcf View Post
            You guys are really coming down hard on this kid. I'm not sure but i think he was just asking a general question so he DOESN'T get caught up in any trouble or step on any toes if the situation occurs. (Granted, i am not an LEO nor a mind-reader who can divine his intentions) I just don't think a newbie asking a question qualifies for a harsh verbal reprimand and insulting his intelligence on an open forum.

<Steps on soap box>

I agree with you. While I am aware that many new people on the forum ask the same types of questions over and over, and some questions seem out of place to experienced LE folks, insulting someones intelligence and not encouraging an open forum for questions from newbies is completely unnecessary. What may seem common sense to those in LE is often formed based on training and extensive experience. Subtract those two items and you may actually think like a regular person.

Sometimes it does not surprise me that the general public and LE often seem at odds. While you cannot change everyones perception of the police, you can at least attempt to make a positive impact with the encounters that do not require hostility. There are some seriously over inflated egos in this career field, and that alone is sometimes the basis for the problem. I have experienced some bloated egos on this site as well, directed at me, and I work in LE. I haven't met an LEO yet that can walk on water and move planets, and until I do I will continue to recognize that we are regular people with an irregular job to do.

<Steps down from soap box>
            sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

<Steps up to the soap box>
              If someone got their feelings hurt from what has been said here, they are probably going to have a tough time making it in most LE positions. If this was considered "harsh verbal reprimand and insulting"...good luck on the job!

Try asking your hiring panel board how professional courtesy works and see how that turns out for you. In my opinion, if you're new to this career you should be focusing on how to be successful and competant on the job. When you're getting advice from others about how to use your position to get out of a ticket and then come to a public forum to get further explaination of how it's done, before you start, looks bad. Three things will get a newbie in trouble on the job...their badge, their gun and their vehicle (if they get one). Maybe if the newbie learns that professional courtesy should be out of his mind at this point, it will keep him out of trouble.

On that note, I'm going back to walking on water...if feels good on my feet!

Comment

Originally posted by ICE2DSS View Post
                <Steps up to the soap box>
                If someone got their feelings hurt from what has been said here, they are probably going to have a tough time making it in most LE positions. If this was considered "harsh verbal reprimand and insulting"...good luck on the job!

Try asking your hiring panel board how professional courtesy works and see how that turns out for you. In my opinion, if you're new to this career you should be focusing on how to be successful and competant on the job. When you're getting advice from others about how to use your position to get out of a ticket and then come to a public forum to get further explaination of how it's done, before you start, looks bad. Three things will get a newbie in trouble on the job...their badge, their gun and their vehicle (if they get one). Maybe if the newbie learns that professional courtesy should be out of his mind at this point, it will keep him out of trouble.

On that note, I'm going back to walking on water...if feels good on my feet!

Well said. It is not unreasonable to bristle upon discovering that one of the first things a wannabe/newbie would want to know is how cops (allegedly) get out of tckets.
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

What was gained by insulting his intelligence verses articulating that he should concentrate on the other more important things in his new career? I am sure he would have gotten the point without the unnecessary belittling from "professional" LE folks.
                  sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

Again, if his feelings were hurt off this thread and he feels insulted, he may not be in the right career. I haven't seen any thing too "insulting" here. What some of us are trying to stress is that he should be focusing on being a a great CBPO and not worrying about professional courtesy. There's a difference between someone being concerned about getting pulled over as a new officer with a gun versus a newbie asking about professional courtesy. His concern seems to be more about getting out of a ticket than officer safety. Hopefully by reading through this thread he'll see there's a difference and do the right thing.

As a side note, to get out of a ticket I just remind the officers that my tax dollar pays their salary and that gets me off.:O)

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop View Post
                      Well said. It is not unreasonable to bristle upon discovering that one of the first things a wannabe/newbie would want to know is how cops (allegedly) get out of t(i)ckets.
                      Easy to get out of getting a traffic ticket. Don't speed, don't run red lights or stop signs, don't do anything to bring attention to yourself while operating a motor vehicle. Obey the law and the law will obey you. Beyond that, identify yourself if stopped and let things fall where they may.

Most agencies afford their officers with the right to enforce the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law. Discretionary enforcement is a perk of any officer.
                      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7819 users online. 408 members and 7411 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X