Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone explain Professional Courtesy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain Professional Courtesy?

Professional Courtesy, in the sense that if you're pulled over and flash your badge and creds. I'm not a LEO, but am EODing as a CBPO in a week. I don't plan on using my "job" as a means to get out of a ticket, but I hear from others that I should, and that's part of the perks of being a part of a dept that is considered LE..

How does it work between local LEO's, state, federal, etc? I have a few friends who are LAPD and they've told me that they are pretty much immune from receiving a traffic citation, and what not.. What's the standard and is there an unwritten rule regarding "PC" ?

Thanks for clearing up some vagueness in what I've heard.

edit-- did some searching, and I apologize for bringing up a topic that has been addressed so many times before. If there's anything you would like to add, I'd appreciate it thanks again.
    Last edited by sinthetiq; 08-13-2007, 01:19 AM.

Originally posted by sinthetiq View Post
    I don't plan on using my "job" as a means to get out of a ticket, but I hear from others that I should, and that's part of the perks of being a part of a dept that is considered LE..
    Personally, I'd never put myself in a position to get a ticket. Much less try to get out of one that's legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Protect-N-Serve View Post
      Personally, I'd never put myself in a position to get a ticket. Much less try to get out of one that's legit.
      Neither would I. However, I do carry my weapon wherever I go. Should I be stopped, I would immediately hand over my ID card with my DL, if only to avoid any confusion as to why I am armed. What the officer chooses to do from there is up to him.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Protect-N-Serve View Post
        I doubt there are people out there looking to get a traffic infraction, but that's besides the point. My question was regarding professional courtesy. The TSA thread sparked my curiosity.

Comment

I don't really consider CBPO as a LEO.

Wow, way to put those guys down. And you want to try to use the agency name to get out of a ticket. Classy

Comment

Here in ohio the correction officers have a special drivers license as do law enforcement that have a big "star" for sheriffs or a public service license.
            sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
            Rocky Balboa
            Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

(I don't really consider CBPO as a LEO, but I haven't gone through FLETC or anything, so I can't really speak on it entirely).
              Last time I checked, CBP is classified as a Federal Law Enforcement Agency.........

Perhaps you need to research more as to what you are getting yourself into....especially since you are about to join their ranks....go through FLETC where you will learn to shoot a firearm to protect yourself and others, learn about seach and seizure (that you will be doing everyday you're on the job), and learning defensive and arrest tactics...... then get a gun/badge/creds.....and perform as a FLEO at your particular work station....

Comment

I didn't mean to say CBP is not a LEO, but compared to local pd (LAPD, etc) and other covered position within the fed. LEO's. Also, I never said I was going to use my position to get out of a ticket. I was just curious after reading through the TSA thread where people were saying that they would not grant PC to TSA, and that made me curious as to what the unwritten rules were. Sorry if I came across any other way.

Comment

I didn't mean to say CBP is not a LEO, but compared to local pd (LAPD, etc) and other covered position within the fed. LEO's. Also, I never said I was going to use my position to get out of a ticket. I was just curious after reading through the TSA thread where people were saying that they would not grant PC to TSA, and that made me curious as to what the unwritten rules were. Sorry if I came across any other way.
                  CBP officers go through extensive training and are uniformed and armed. In NYC, for the most part you would receive courtesy, depending on what you did and how you act towards the cop.

The fact that CBP is not covered under 6c, the federal law enforcement retirement provisions, does not make you any less of a LEO. Your job is just different than other federal LEO's..

BTW, the lack of coverage by CBP under 6c has been fought for years.
                  They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

If you are just getting into the career it's a bit disturbing to think you're already asking about professional courtesy. It's not about getting out of a ticket, it's about officer safety. If you do get pulled over and you have your firearm on you, have your creds ready and let the officer know you are in law enforcement and you have your firearm on you. I'd keep my creds on my lap and my hands on the steering wheel until he directs you otherwise. The officer will have every right to give you a ticket and you just need to suck it up. If they are cool enough to let you off with a warning consider yourself lucky. You are in no way entitled to be let off. Some areas are much more law enforcement friendly than others. If you're in Los Angeles it can easily go either way. By the way, that "O" at the end of CBPO stands for officer so you should consider yourself a LEO when you are officially hired!

Comment

I just wanted to clear things up. I do not intend to request anything to get out of a traffic ticket. I have a clean driving record and do not wish to change any of that. I live my life by the rules and regulations. As I stated before, my question was just that, a question sparked by the TSA thread and others who've told me that I should use the position to get out of the ticket. Mind you, these are people who are in LE, and their comment was toward me because of the fact that I told them directly that was not something that interested me.

Comment

I doubt there are people out there looking to get a traffic infraction, but that's besides the point. My question was regarding professional courtesy. The TSA thread sparked my curiosity.
                        Ever see 'Fast and the Furious'?

Comment

Some parts of your post have already been covered by other folks. I'll cover the stuff that wasn't answered as of yet for your area (LBC). The Long Beach Police Department works VERY well with various federal agencies. I attended a tactical shooting course at their academy a while back and was impressed with their trainers and the department as a whole.

As for the "PC" thing with Long Beach PD toward federal LEO's, yes they are very good at extending the courtesy to those officers who are professional. Remember if you are pulled over, you are representing all federal LEO's, not just the agency you work for. Be professional and don't expect anything different than someone without the badge would get. Should you get just a verbal warning, be humble and learn from your mistakes. Remember there are no guarantees in life except death and taxes. Getting a warning is not one of them...

One of the other LE agencies just north of LBC, in the Carson area is LASD. They also have an excellent working relationship with federal agencies. Not only the Carson station, but pretty much every other LASD station I have worked with (which is basically all of them) have been great to work with. No complaints on my end, especially since I have spent more time working with some of their deputies than agents in my own office. LASD even has their trustees wash our g-rides when we stop by the station

Comment

A former friend who is now a police officer doesn't give out DUIs because he believes it is bad karma since he drinks and drives all the time....yeah, he is a huge *** hole. I am talking about to the general public too, not other officers. He simply impounds the car.

Anyways....there is a local officer at my hometown who has ruffled some feathers because he gave some tickets to other officers. I see no problem with that but at the same time I would be a bit annoyed.

Comment

I'll clear things up for you

It's against CBP policy to use your badge to get out of a ticket. You will lose your job (or do some serious time on the beach)! Plain and simple. The way you have asked the question leads me to believe you don't have enough common sense to even try. So please don't.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9774 users online. 499 members and 9275 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X