300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education

I currently possess a B.S. degree and have completed 6 hours of Graduate coursework. I will also begin employment with a FLE Agency within the coming months and would very much like to continue with my education the following semester after my graduation from FLETC.

I am seeking opinions as to whether or not an online degree would be worthwhile to pursue. Traditional classes do not appear to be a viable option as my work schedule will most likely remain flexible; not forgetting to factor in OT as well. Being in the D.C. area will provide a plethora of options as far as great universities are concerned, however my second dilemma is whether or not to pursue a Master's or obtain a second Bachelor's in a language such as Arabic, Mandarin or Korean. Any ideas on how these would stack up against each other.

And finally, if completing a Master's would be the best choice, any opinions as to which degrees (not Criminal Justice) are the most favorable? I am limited to some extent when it comes to such degrees as Computer Science and Accounting as I have had no prerequisites for either; I was a science major and have little to no background in liberal arts or business.

Thanks so much!

I don't see any problem with an online degree, as long as the school and program is accredited.

Comment

Originally posted by sinthetiq View Post
      I don't see any problem with an online degree, as long as the school and program is accredited.
      I concur, I'm in the process of finishing up my BA and starting my LE career next year in 2008 and after I complete my probation period with w/e pd I get hired by, I'm going to start to see if I can go back to school while working as a Full Time LEO and get my law degree hopefully I will find a law school in NY that offers a lot of classes online and same with in the classroom.
      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Besides making sure they are accredited, know that many completely online colleges are private businesses. Because they are run as a business, they tend to cost more and provide fewer service than public schools.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice so far. I did not know that many of the online colleges are private businesses. I plan to look into distance learning offered by some of the universities around the area as well.

I wanted to clarify something as well. Whether considering a second Bachelors in a foreign language such as Korean, Mandarin, etc. or pursuing a Masters degree, I want to gear my studies towards preparation for an 1811.

Comment

Think about your future and where you may apply first. If it is for Federal Jobs where the first thing they do is put your resume to filter out people and have standards to look at they will be fine with an accredited online school, and must be objective to it.
            However, if you are ever looking in the private sector the opinion may be much more subjective. Recruiters, and supervisors doing the hiring may look more favorable upon someone who has attended a regualar program at a university over an online college. The whole concept of an online school is very new, and not all executives like the idea. Especially since they probably never had the chance for that coming up.

Comment

As someone entering a FLE agency and already in possession of a Bachelor's degree, you would be an excellent candidate for the Master's program through the Naval Post-Graduate School. It is geared toward military and federal law enforcement or intelligence agency personnel. You can complete most of the work online and then only spend 2 weeks per quarter at the school. That makes only 12 weeks in total you have to spend away but again, it's in 2 week spurts. A lot of FLEAs will endorse or sponsor you which makes it even easier to get the little bit of time off for it. Very impressive degree, "accredited" by the Dept of Defense, and your classmates are the nation's leaders. The information is online at their website. There are more than a dozen programs offered but here's the link to the Master's in Homeland Security program: http://www.chds.us/?masters/overview

If you're looking for something 100% online, UVA and East Carolina University (in NC) both carry an enormous array on pure distance learning programs. Good luck to you!

-Kelly
              Last edited by Kelly828; 08-13-2007, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Again great info! That would be a great option if I can qualify for it. I will look into it today. I have not checked into whether or not the Agency I will be working for would sponsor or assist individuals in pursuit of a Masters; great idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by JH00 View Post
                  Again great info! That would be a great option if I can qualify for it. I will look into it today. I have not checked into whether or not the Agency I will be working for would sponsor or assist individuals in pursuit of a Masters; great idea though.
                  If your agency is under DHS, tuition is free. Pretty sweet little program.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9907 users online. 504 members and 9403 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X