300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to stop the hiring process?

I was given a conditional offer with a pd and have currently started the medical and psyc. portion. But am also just found out that i will be having a BI and polygraph for another dept. I dont want to be stepping on toes or have someone from the first dept. think i will just leave them right away after the final offer for another city but i don't realy want to stop any other hiring processes with any other dept. until i have that final offer and start date. Do you think this would cause a problem or would they understand or probably never find out. Thanks

When you get a solid offer

Assuming your desire to work for all departments involved in this inquiry is equal, accept the first offer you get. Until then, continue in each respective process and do not be afraid to advise each department of your intent to accept the first offer. Competition is part of what makes America so great The honestly will assuage your nagging mind, but it will also help them get it in gear if they want you with their department. Just be up front and matter of fact about the whole thing.

By the way, a "conditional offer" is not what I'm talking about. A real job offer should include assignment of duty, issuance of uniforms, academy date, etc. Wait til you get the real thing before you cut off the other processes.
    He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
    -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    -- Hemingway

Comment

The best time to stop the process from other agencies is when you have a start date from another as mentioned if asked and just be honest about other applications. Noone will have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by UFD537 View Post
        I was given a conditional offer with a pd and have currently started the medical and psyc. portion. But am also just found out that i will be having a BI and polygraph for another dept. I dont want to be stepping on toes or have someone from the first dept. think i will just leave them right away after the final offer for another city but i don't realy want to stop any other hiring processes with any other dept. until i have that final offer and start date. Do you think this would cause a problem or would they understand or probably never find out. Thanks
        I wouldn't stop with the other dept. until I get a start date. When you get a conditional offer of employment, it is as it says, conditional. You have to pass the required processes before you get the final offer.

I would keep going until I get the final offer from either dept.
        www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by UFD537 View Post
          I was in your same shoes 2 years ago. After I graduated the academy, I applied at almost every agency around here. I had my sights on one department close to home, and I got it.

I was going through the process of around 5 departments at one time. I told them I had an application in with other agencies (kept it honest) but stressed I wanted to work for their department, that is which ever agency I was talking to at the time.

Like another poster said, its competitve. Good on you if you have two agencies after you.

I would not say anything about other apps if no one asked. If they ask, be honest. I always said I wanted to be on their department more than anyone elses though if the question came up.

After I got on with the agency I wanted, I withdrew my application from other deparments. Some still asked me to stay in the process with them and to come talk to them about how their benefits were. Even after I got hired and was on the road I had 2 agencies that I forgot about call me while I was in training and ask when I could come in for an interview/BI etc. It felt good being "wanted" and I respectfully said I was already hired, thanks but no thanks.

From my experience, I had never been in LE before then and even though some of the agencies were close by, they apparently never talked with each other. The only other way an agency can find out who you apply with is by checking your credit. "Why was the city of ____ checking your credit history?"

Some applications require you to put down where you have applied. Like I said be honest about, but reaffirm your commitment to that particular agency and you should be fine.
          John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

-------------
            Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 05:03 AM.
            www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Comment

Same here. It's been an uphill battle. So go ahead NC Marine and keep going with all of 'em. You need to do what's best for yourself anyway, not what's best for the many departments your applying with.

Comment

Keep going with every dept that is sending your through the process. I am in a similiar situation. I have one dept I just finished all the examinations for (med. poly. psych. eye.) and they gave me a conditional offer. While in the process anothe dept called me, set up a chief interview and I just had the psych the other day. I told OP (sig) that another agency is looking into me for a potential canidate for the Sept. academy. They scheduled all their examination for me in 1 week. At the chief interview for Hodgkins, I told him that OP is looking into me and I am willing to work for Hodgkins since its closer to home but a smaller community. They liked what I said, scheduled my psych and right now just waiting on the medical appointment.

Continue to test. Dont stop until you get a call or a letter saying "HEY, WE WANT YOU TO GO TO THE ACADEMY NOW." or something like that. Like someone said, conditional is just that, conditional. Its not a final. Good luck to you and everyone else.

Think of it like this. You are an investor and all the banks want your business. Check them all out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7597 users online. 388 members and 7209 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X