Need advice...decisions, decisions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice...decisions, decisions

Hi all, I would like to pose my current situation and get some advice from other LEO in this forum. A little background on me; I am 25 years old, possess a B.S. and have a few hours towards a M.A., have completed an internship with one of the three letter Fed. Agencies, but do not have any LE experience outside of that. Ultimately, I aspire to obtain an 1811 position as my experiences during the internship are what really turned me on to this line of work.

Currently, I have received an offer from USCP and have accepted. I am also quite far along in the process with the Virginia State Police and Richmond City Police. I have had nothing but professional and positive experiences with all of these Agencies to date, and I could not speak more highly of either of them. Frankly, the mission of each department is appealing, though each differs greatly from the other.

My question for all of you is this: With that being said, which position would you ultimately take and why?

What I have been told so far is this:
    1. USCP - excellent training, will be FLETC certified, already in the Fed. system, great department, mostly force protection though some S/A and Intel positions and of course DPD

2. VSP - great department, will get to experience various situations while on the road, ability to conduct somewhat of your own investigations on certain cases, great training, very respected

3. Richmond City PD - great department, one will see EVERYTHING on the job, lots of dirty work and "run'n & gun'n" that will be the closest to what I would be doing at the Fed. Agency that I interned with,

Thank you all very much for your time.
    Last edited by JH00; 08-01-2007, 09:17 AM.

Decisions

Originally posted by JH00 View Post
    Hi all, I would like to pose my current situation and get some advice from other LEO in this forum. A little background on me; I am 25 years old, possess a B.S. and have a few hours towards a M.A., have completed an internship with one of the three letter Fed. Agencies, but do not have any LE experience outside of that. Ultimately, I aspire to obtain an 1811 position as my experiences during the internship are what really turned me on to this line of work.

Currently, I have received an offer from USCP and have accepted. I am also quite far along in the process with the Virginia State Police and Richmond City Police. I have had nothing but professional and positive experiences with all of these Agencies to date, and I could not speak more highly of either of them. Frankly, the mission of each department is appealing, though each differs greatly from the other.

My question for all of you is this: With that being said, which position would you ultimately take and why?

What I have been told so far is this:
    1. USCP - excellent training, will be FLETC certified, already in the Fed. system, great department, mostly force protection though some S/A and Intel positions and of course DPD

2. VSP - great department, will get to experience various situations while on the road, ability to conduct somewhat of your own investigations on certain cases, great training, very respected

3. Richmond City PD - great department, one will see EVERYTHING on the job, lots of dirty work and "run'n & gun'n" that will be the closest to what I would be doing at the Fed. Agency that I interned with,

Thank you all very much for your time.
    Ain't it nice to have choices? Crazy as it sounds, you may have a very pleasent choice to make. Personally, I'm not going to tell you which way to go. The "usual" wisdom is to go with the agency which first offers you employment. "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush". I'm certain you'll recieve much good advice from my colleagues, but at the end of the day, it's your call. Congratulations, and good luck.

Comment

I plan to do just as you said; one never knows what could happen and I would surely not want to pass up ANY opportunity. The truth is that I am extremely thankful to be in this position and I plan to make the most out of wherever I end up. I just want to hear what others have to say as far as which option technically could be the best to choose knowing that an 1811 is what infuenced me to pursue this career initally and is ultimately where I would hope to end up. Thanks again and take care.

Comment

Originally posted by JH00 View Post
        I plan to do just as you said; one never knows what could happen and I would surely not want to pass up ANY opportunity. The truth is that I am extremely thankful to be in this position and I plan to make the most out of wherever I end up. I just want to hear what others have to say as far as which option technically could be the best to choose knowing that an 1811 is what infuenced me to pursue this career initally and is ultimately where I would hope to end up. Thanks again and take care.
        Very best of luck to you!!

Comment

Thank you sir.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4548 users online. 189 members and 4359 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
          X