300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Scale

I just received a letter stating that I have qualified at the GL-7 level. Does anyone know what the difference is between the GS and GL levels are?

Comment

• no different

just a new title

Comment

• There is a difference between GS and GL. GS is for regular federal employees and GL is for covered federal law enforcement officers/agents. For example the basic pay for GS-5 step one is about $6000 lower than a GL-5 step one.

http://www.opm.gov/oca/08tables/

Comment

• does anyone know where i can get the grade determination worksheet electronically? PM me if you have a blank copy i could have. gracias.

Comment

• Is there a current ICE 1811 job solicitation posted at this time?

Comment

• Originally posted by mikeywUSCG View Post
              Is there a current ICE 1811 job solicitation posted at this time?
              No. Copied directly from ICE's website:

Criminal Investigators (Special Agent)
              At the present time, ICE is not actively recruiting for entry-level Criminal Investigators (Special Agents). We anticipate to start recruiting again on March 3, 2008. Once recruiting commences again, entry-level Criminal Investigators will be recruited through direct contact with Special Agent Recruiters located with each of ICE’s Special Agent in Charge (SAC) Offices. These vacancies will not be posted on the Office of Personnel Management’s (OPM) USA Jobs Web site. If you are interested in becoming an ICE Criminal Investigator, contact the nearest Special Agent in Charge Office when we are actively recruiting and ask for the "Special Agent Recruiter." Main phone numbers for each ICE SAC Office are listed under Contact Us. If you meet the basic qualifications and if ICE is actively recruiting Special Agents, the recruiter will advise you of the next steps in the application process.

Comment

• Troopers vs. SA

SuperCFD- thanks.

To all that are more familiar with the roles of Special Agents, I'm looking at applying for several jobs (including ICE 1811) and would like more information.
                I have limited professional experience working with CBP and ICE, as I've spent the last 5 years in the USCG. What is an "average" day like at one of the larger offices, (New York, Newark) what specific perks and benefits do SA's enjoy, how does the pay stack up compared to State LE agencies? What are the retirement packages like and how does LEAP work (is it 25% of base pay or base pay with locality adjustments?).

I was pretty dead set on NYSP providing I test well on this upcoming recruitment drive, but the rumor here is that ICE/CBP prefer former DHS applicants with current clearances... (coasties) This has me wondering which job would be better. Any SA's out there wish they would have gone into State LE instead, or are there a bunch of valid reasons why FED LE is better than State?

Sorry for the long post, had too much coffee I suspect.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikeywUSCG View Post
                  SuperCFD- thanks.

how does the pay stack up compared to State LE agencies? What are the retirement packages like and how does LEAP work (is it 25% of base pay or base pay with locality adjustments?).

Any SA's out there wish they would have gone into State LE instead, or are there a bunch of valid reasons why FED LE is better than State?

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want action, DO NOT become an SA. I was a street cop in a larger dept for 12 years prior to becoming an ICE 1811 (SA) and I sorely miss the days of chasing the bad guys. The last time I chased after anyone on foot or in a vehicle, or even had to fight or wrestle anyone, was when I was a street cop. There are guys in my office who have been SA's for 20 years and have NEVER done ANY of those things (and these are guys who worked in L.A, Chicago, D.C., etc).

I took a 25K a year paycut to go Federal, however, I will be making a bit more in the long run (over 100K/year within 4 years Fed, versus 85-90K/year local). The medical benefits were WAY better at the local level, but the retirement is better with the Feds.

I'm not at all trying to badmouth the Feds, but just pointing out that being a local cop and an SA are two COMPLETELY different jobs. It all just depends on what you want to do in your career.

Comment

• i guess depends on what state you're in. CA has better retirement than feds with 3% @ 50. like meat said, it depends on what you want to do. you probably won't see much action as fed. you can still do investigations and joint task forces with a local agency.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meat View Post
                      It all depends on what you want to do. If you want action, DO NOT become an SA. I was a street cop in a larger dept for 12 years prior to becoming an ICE 1811 (SA) and I sorely miss the days of chasing the bad guys. The last time I chased after anyone on foot or in a vehicle, or even had to fight or wrestle anyone, was when I was a street cop. There are guys in my office who have been SA's for 20 years and have NEVER done ANY of those things (and these are guys who worked in L.A, Chicago, D.C., etc).

I took a 25K a year paycut to go Federal, however, I will be making a bit more in the long run (over 100K/year within 4 years Fed, versus 85-90K/year local). The medical benefits were WAY better at the local level, but the retirement is better with the Feds.

I'm not at all trying to badmouth the Feds, but just pointing out that being a local cop and an SA are two COMPLETELY different jobs. It all just depends on what you want to do in your career.
                      Hey Meat,

How long have you been on as a S/A and were you able to go back to the FD that interviewed you? I too have a good deal of action where I'm at, but I know thats going to get old eventually and I need to do this now or I'll be too old. I spent some time as a TFO with DEA Philly and the action wasn't bad at all. I never got hands on with anyone, but the surveillance and the buys always left the feeling that the @%*& could go sideways at any moment.

I've met a few ICE guys through my old DEA buddies and they claim to be pretty active. However, I don't know if they mean their typing all day, or out on the street. One of my biggest concerns is leaving the tactical team. I've been quite active in SWAT ever since I got on the job, and I'm thinking that I can pretty much kiss that goodbye if I get an offer to come on with you guys.

Any how, I believe my BI was completed last week, but I found it quite interesting that no one from DEA was contacted by my BI. I figured since I spent some time with Top Secret clearance through DEA, they would have definitely checked with them. Now I'm playing games with my mind and stressing myself out.

Keep your head down.

Comment

• Originally posted by tacsgt View Post
                        Hey Meat,

How long have you been on as a S/A and were you able to go back to the FD that interviewed you? I too have a good deal of action where I'm at, but I know thats going to get old eventually and I need to do this now or I'll be too old. I spent some time as a TFO with DEA Philly and the action wasn't bad at all. I never got hands on with anyone, but the surveillance and the buys always left the feeling that the @%*& could go sideways at any moment.

I've met a few ICE guys through my old DEA buddies and they claim to be pretty active. However, I don't know if they mean their typing all day, or out on the street. One of my biggest concerns is leaving the tactical team. I've been quite active in SWAT ever since I got on the job, and I'm thinking that I can pretty much kiss that goodbye if I get an offer to come on with you guys.

Keep your head down.

I work with guys who talk about the "good old days" as an SA where they were busy. But their stories of "action" consist of them taking completely compliant suspects into custody without even having to draw their weapons. lol. They get super-excited about finding a load of dope in an empty car, and call that "action." So yeah, I think their idea of "action", and ours, is substantially different. lol. I went to FLETC with guys that were ex-cops and are now SA's in Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Houston, L.A., etc, and they are all in the same boat as me. They're bored senseless. lol. I was a local cop for 12 years and have been an SA for only about a year now. Maybe I'm just unfairly comparing my SA job to my previous PD where every single shift you would go to a homicide, robbery, rape, stabbing, shooting, felony assault, etc, at least once per shift, even on a slow night. Oh well, I had an idea it would be like this before I took the job so it isn't that big of a deal really.

I'm not sure why your BI didn't contact DEA, but my BI didn't contact my first PD, either, just my current (at the time) PD.

Comment

• My first post here and hoping that i'm not the only one that has been waiting since May 1st 2007 for a FLETC training date!! I go on CASS about 5 times a week and no update...even my recruiter thinks it's a bit odd that I haven't gotten a phone call (unless he's just giving me a runaround)..does anyone know if there's any budget issues?

also, if and when I finally get the phone call I will have to basically pack up my car with all my belongings and drive to FLETC..(staying at a temporary address till then). I read somewhere that we were only allowed ONE bag? though I read on other posts of people suggesting to take TVs, mountain bikes, etc...could someone confirm either way?

thanks!!

Comment

• ive never heard the one bag theory. you can bring as much crap as you want. if you can fit tit in your room, you can bring it.

Comment

• I've never heard the one bag theory either.

Angelgame, this is the latest in the rumor mill: apparently there are approximately 500 of us in T&S right now. While the budget was passed, the money really didn't get into the "hands" that needed it until just a week or so ago. Supposedly, within the next week or two, many of us that are in T&S will start getting cleared out. I just heard yesterday somebody getting a call for the Feb 11 FLETC date. That was the date they were making calls for BEFORE Christmas. So, chances are there will be a second Feb class, and if not, probably two March classes. I suspect they will start new classes every other week starting in March.

The bottom line in all this is that those of us in T&S were supposed to start getting cleared out before the March 1st recruiting cycle starts. This is all rumor, but I have some sources I can't quote in public, who I trust, that suggest calls are going to start going out pretty soon. But even they don't know for sure.

Comment

• I finally received my NOR from the interview in the mail, "eligible".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2144 users online. 151 members and 1993 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X