300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLYGRAPH help needed AWWW!

My polygraph is next week, and I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers? I want to wear a suit, but I am so nervous that it might be annoying and uncomfortable during the polygraph, should I wear sweats? I am so nervous, I know that I dont have anything to hide but its just nerve racking! I dont know why, a machine thats not scientifically proven, and a person who can say what ever they want about you is the determining factor. I am considering getting a massage, and spending sometime at the park. Does anyone have any pointers, I'm so close and dont want to wreck this?? Thanks You to anyone that responds!!!

Originally posted by motoxstar View Post
    My polygraph is next week, and I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers? I want to wear a suit, but I am so nervous that it might be annoying and uncomfortable during the polygraph, should I wear sweats? I am so nervous, I know that I dont have anything to hide but its just nerve racking! I dont know why, a machine thats not scientifically proven, and a person who can say what ever they want about you is the determining factor. I am considering getting a massage, and spending sometime at the park. Does anyone have any pointers, I'm so close and dont want to wreck this?? Thanks You to anyone that responds!!!
    The way you sound right now you are definitely going to fail! Relax, unless you have something to hide?

Comment

**I am not a Peace Officer, but I took a Polygraph and passed**

First, wear a suit and look professional, this is for your career. He/she will tell you to take off jacket for the polygraph, just follow their directions on how everything will work. I know I read many polygraph examiners will try to trick or demean you to get you to tell something else, mine was nothing of the sort, very laid back guy. They will let you know in advance what questions you will be asked, so don't think it will be a suprise.

They generally ask a question, you respond yes/no and they wait 10 seconds to see your response before proceeding to the next question.

I will not lie to you, this test is very exhausting. I came in there rested, and left exhausted for the next day or two in less than 3 hours. It is because the polygraph is a big mental mind game that you must overcome, just tell the truth and you should be fine.

Good luck in your process.

Comment

Originally posted by tua View Post
        The way you sound right now you are definitely going to fail! Relax, unless you have something to hide?
        I went in there as nervous as he was, and I had nothing to hide. The polygraph has and always will be the hardest part of the hiring process that I ever went through to get hired hopefully. It is because so much depends on this test.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I know I should do fine, its just like a big part of the process. Thanks Everyone!

Comment

** I am a sponsored recruit not yet sworn, but have passed 3 Polys and a CVSA **

You'll do fine as long as you have nothing to hide. Unlike when they interview a suspect, the polygrapher is on your side when doing an employment poly. They don't normally try to trick you. Don't take his/her questions at any more than face value. Don't do any of that "I wonder if they mean such-and-such" kind of thinking. If they meant such-and-such, they would have been more detailed in their questioning. Be calm and collected and you'll pass.
            Fatty Matty
            sigpic

Comment

I took my polygraph Monday and passed. It is a little weird, but nothing too hard.

Don't sweat it, just try to stay calm and tell the truth.

If you do these things you will pass.
              www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Comment

...and don't overanalyze each question!

Comment

PM sent.

Be prepared for some very very weird questions.

Comment

i actualy failed it the first time. the examiner looked at the paper, frowned, and thought about it. he had made some small talk before hand and i guess he thought id make a prety good cop, so he let me take it again right then and i passed. i didnt lie either time, i was just so damn nervous. he asked me afterwards if i had gone on the internet to look for ways to fool the machine. i had not, but he said usualy when somebody thinks they can beat it they use some sort of trick, and it gives him a confusing result. failing, but confusing.

anyway first, he will probably ask all the questions he is going to ask before hand, then ask again on the poly, and the poly is just to make shure you didnt lie the first time. and ya its scary, even if your not hideing, but TRY to relax. i bet the massage would be a good idea.

Comment

any updates motoxstar? did you take it?

Comment

My question is, lets say they say have u smoked marijuana and u say yeah once, then you think in your head "well there was that one time i put it up to my mouth but never exhaled" and uve already answered the question, will that throw you off?
                        sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                        Rocky Balboa
                        Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Just worry about EXACTLY what they ask. If you were with a friend and it was your idea to steal something, and your friend takes it, does that make you a thief? He will discuss EVERYTHING in your background with you before he gets to the poly. They don't want you to fail, but they don't want to hire a dishonest person. Everything will come down to a YES or NO on the poly.

Mine was a great guy, helped dispell myths, covered a few 'practice' ones, had me blatently lie to get a baseline, and wasn't judgemental or anything.

It helps if you just focus on something in the room, and keep your breathing the same. Its hard not to concentrate on breathing because theres nothing else to do, so just keep it steady. Yes or No in reply, focus on something on the wall, and breath.

Its kinda scary, but if you're honest, you will have no problem.

Good luck!

Comment

My polygraph was pretty intense, not because I had anything to hide but because I was so nervous and afraid of getting DQ'd that I almost got failed on a few questions that I had absolutely no reason to lie about. I ended up passing in the end though once I started to relax and realize that freaking out was not going to help me at all.

It helped that my examiner was a very cool guy, told me a lot about the department beforehand and related some great war stories. However once the test was underway, it was all business.

Also, they will ask you if you've researched anything about taking polygraph exams, such as how to beat them or techniques to "get by". So, don't do that, or you'll be in trouble. Good luck!
                            Sacramento PD
                            Written Test - Passed
                            Oral Board Interview - Passed
                            Poly - Passed
                            Physical Agility - Passed
                            Backgrounds - Passed
                            Chief's Interview - Passed
                            Psychological Exam - Passed
                            Medical Exam - Passed
                            Academy Start Date - January 2007

Comment

I just took my polygraph on the 3rd. Just like everyone else, It was pretty nerve racking. Out of the 24 questions the guys asked, there were three of them that he asked me "what were you thinking about". The first one I told him what I was thinking about and he said that question made me a little uncomfortable. The other two questions, he said I had a long thought pattern on. I dont know if I passed or failed it yet. Has anyone had the examiner tell them that question made them uncomfortable? If so, what was the result of the test? I had nothing to hide and I answered no, but it was one of those questions that you couldnt help but think about.
                              It's not the fall that kills you....It's the ground!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10027 users online. 370 members and 9657 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X