X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Highway Patrol

2007 Testing schedule:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/html/testing.html

Applications are being accepted on a continuing basis. With the recent salary increase, new officers will be receiving approximately $60,000 per year (less overtime, education bonus, etc).

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/html/officer.html
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
    SgtCHP

How many recruits per class and what percentage get sent to LA or SF?
    About 120. 50-60% for one year. Then they can transfer to another office.

Does CHP offer a "take home" as an incentive, with gas prices so high it's a big perk.
    Negative. The only take homes are investigators, Command personnel, some special assignment personnel and motorcycle officers.

Schedule?
    Most offices are on 5/40. Some are on 4/10. It is still in the air for a permanent set shift statewide. Basic shift deployment hours are: 0545-1415; 1345-2215; 2145-0615. Two officer units after 2200 hours.

The pay and retirement look very good but I doubt you can buy a house for a few years until you get a transfer.
    Well, it is CA. Housing is expensive but not out of reach. Most officers drive twenty-five miles plus between home and office - one-way. In the L.A. area, housing in San Bernardino and Riverside counties is cheaper and the commute is not overly unreasonable. On top of the salary, you can pretty much add in an additional $10,000 in annual overtime. If you have to attend court on a day off, or when you are off duty, you get a minimum of four hours paid overtime.

While you are in attendance at the Academy you receive full pay at the cadet level. Your housing is taken care of and meals provided.

If you have a degree you are paid, upon graduation, an additional 2.5% for AA/AS; 5% for BA/BS; and 7.5% for a Masters.

All safety equipment is provided by the agency - handgun (S&W .40 cal semi-auto), baton, cuffs, flashlight, rain gear, helmet, etc.
    Last edited by SgtCHP; 07-18-2007, 08:38 PM.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

Comment

I'll be in Riverside County and Orange County in August.

Maybe I'll sign up too. Nothing like starting over in a new state to keep you fresh.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post

Maybe I'll sign up too. Nothing like starting over in a new state to keep you fresh.
        NOOOOOOO don't leave us SDT :-), question, do you have to be a CA resident to take the test and before the academy? or can you become a CA resident right before the academy?
        "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

To be quite honest, it's been a lifelong dream of mine to be a CHP officer. For 20 years of my life I lived two doors down from a (very) big wig in the coastal division, and I talked to him on several occasions about a career with the CHP, and did a few ride-alongs and met some great officers down at the Ventura station.

I've already applied to some other departments, but the pull to send in a CHP application is still strong. I drive by the academy offramp on a weekly basis, and it's always beckoning me....."apply...apply". I just might next time the next valley division deadline is rolling up. It's just that the entire possibility of relocation and how that would affect my family and such that is holding me back.
          Sacramento PD
          Written Test - Passed
          Oral Board Interview - Passed
          Poly - Passed
          Physical Agility - Passed
          Backgrounds - Passed
          Chief's Interview - Passed
          Psychological Exam - Passed
          Medical Exam - Passed
          Academy Start Date - January 2007

Comment

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
            NOOOOOOO don't leave us SDT :-), question, do you have to be a CA resident to take the test and before the academy? or can you become a CA resident right before the academy?
            No residency requirement until you are selected for the academy. There used to be a one year requirement but that was dropped long ago when recruitment became so competitive.

In the sites I posted please click on the other pages to find out more about the department, applications process, testing process and study guide. Good luck.

Comment

How long do you have to be an Officer before you can apply for special assignments like SWAT and K-9?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post

SDT, don't leave before me and john2008 get on.
                sigpic

Comment

A couple CHP questions, maybe a CHP Officer can answer:

1. Does CHP have SWAT?

2. Years ago, I believe that the CHP badge said "State Traffic Officer" on it. Does it still say that or does it say something else now? If it changed, does anyone know the historical "why" of that change? Did it have anything to do with CHP absorbing the California State Police about 10 or 15 years ago?

Originally posted by SR-25 View Post
                  How long do you have to be an Officer before you can apply for special assignments like SWAT and K-9?

Comment

MSW, (As in Master's of Social Work???), the CHP used to be, like the CDC, not true police officers. In fact, there was a time when they were not permitted to carry weapons off-duty.

There was a time, in my career, that if a CHP found dope in the car during his CHPpie-Felony (aka DUI), they'd call over a local PD or SO to handle the dope aspect of the stop.

Those times, fortunately, are changing. The CHP are the most knowledgable about everything regarding the Bible of Probable Cause (aka The CA Vehicle Code). They are a great resource in that sense.

I hate the idea of losing 2 or 3 potential ghetto gunslingers to the Traffic Gurus, though. No offense CHPSGT

Consider carefully your career options regarding the CHP v. PD/SO. They focus largely on two entirely different areas of criminal justice. The CHP largely are charged with the enforcement of the CA Veh Code. There are 4-5 felonies in that three-inch volume. Felony DUI, Felony Evading, Felony HitNRun, Felony Fraud (I think for having fake registration stickers on your plates), and Felony Stolen Vehicle. I'm sure a CHPpie will correct me if I'm mistaken.

However, in the north portion of the state, they operate far differently than they do in the south half. In the north half, they are The Police to many towns and burbs, much more so than they are in So Cal.

There are pros and cons to going CHP, just like there are to any agency. Just research and be knowledgable and comfortable in your choice is all I'm trying to say.

EDJ
                    Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 08-12-2007, 10:05 PM.
                    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7246 users online. 351 members and 6895 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X