Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Houston TX PD ... thoughts? impressions? other officers?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston TX PD ... thoughts? impressions? other officers?

Just wanted to start a thread and see what people think about Houston, TX PD. Love it? Hate it? No opinion?

I am very impressed with their educational incentive pay ... seems like a great thing to value education.

I am also impressed with the personal treatment I am receiving from some of the recruiters - prompt to answer questions, etc.

Of course, the cost of living in the Houston area is terrific and the amount of opportunities for activities and travel from and in H is great!

Just curious to know what others think and really want to find other officers working or who have worked there to begin a dialogue with them....

Thanks in advance,

A lateral applicant!

I also had a thought about Houston. So the recruiters have been good? I have'nt looked at the cost of living yet. I guess I will now

Comment

Look at their new website ... www.hpdcareer.com

THere is a link there with a phone number ... ask for Tonya! She was terrific ... not sure if she is an officer, but she was very helpful to me.

Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

Comment

they-houston PD- definitely don't pay as well as the Dallas -Ft Worth area depts,but better than San Antonio ,Galveston ,or east Texas (El Paso);is Harris Co area cheaper to live in than north Texas?and are the schools decent? those are part of the equation when you are looking to make a caeer at an agency .Sorry ,but their uniforms look "ugly"( go figire if you think thats important),and I have friends in Tex who say that HPD has really bad tactics and officer safety issues.ultimately,it comes down to whether you believe you can fit in at that dept and take advantage of the training and opportunities.If it pays better than what you are currently doing and fulfills your vision of a career-go for it.
        Last edited by DOAcop38; 07-15-2007, 05:27 AM.
        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I can't even begin to imagine wearing a vest in that sweltering weather....

I cook out here in San Diego, land of "perfect weather" (or so I'm told). That is why I never work day shift.
          "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Hpd

I Love HPD, I did a ride alone with a family member who is an officer with HPD. PM I will will give you all the details.
            Last edited by lilnupe2009; 08-07-2007, 05:45 PM.
            Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF DEATH COME KNOCKING, I WILL ANSWER

Comment

They seem like a great dept. and the incentive pays are awesome. As long as you don't have ANY issues in your background, I would definitely recommend going for it.

Comment

ANY problems?

Originally posted by Future_Cadet View Post
                They seem like a great dept. and the incentive pays are awesome. As long as you don't have ANY issues in your background, I would definitely recommend going for it.
                What exactly do you mean by "ANY" problems. ... I find it interesting the way you wrote that. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TXleoapplicant View Post
                  What exactly do you mean by "ANY" problems. ... I find it interesting the way you wrote that. Thanks!
                  Its like every other Dept--its going to have the same issues as your current agency, just to varying degrees.

Tactics used to be bad, but are getting better with training and changing of the guard.

As far as the post concerning uniforms, HPD is in the "process" of changing over to navy.....

With the incentive pay package, HPD is competitive w/ DPD pay scale, and we do not have to carry the burden of health insurance costs. However, DPD pension is heads and shoulders above HPD current plan (40% at 25 yrs--employee 10.25% contribution, NO DROP )

Heat sux, u get "used" to it.

BTW, I heard next lateral will be 1st qtr 08.
                  Last edited by HMFIC; 08-07-2007, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HMFIC View Post
                    Its like every other Dept--its going to have the same issues as your current agency, just to varying degrees.

Tactics used to be bad, but are getting better with training and changing of the guard.

As far as the post concerning uniforms, HPD is in the "process" of changing over to navy.....

With the incentive pay package, HPD is competitive w/ DPD pay scale, and we do not have to carry the burden of health insurance costs. However, DPD pension is heads and shoulders above HPD current plan (40% at 25 yrs--employee 10.25% contribution, NO DROP )

Heat sux, u get "used" to it.

BTW, I heard next lateral will be 1st qtr 08.
                    40% at 25 years?!?!?!?!?!!!!!! Holy cow...that is ridiculous!!! I know California's cost of living is silly and we have an entire country's worth of tree-hugging idiots but at least we get paid relatively decent in retirement. The industry "standard" out here is 3% of your salary for each year of service so 25 years = 75%.... and it doesn't max out until 90%.
                    "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11320 users online. 400 members and 10920 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X