NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED)

I’m interested in going through the process with SLED. In trying to see what it compares to my current department. Does anyone know what the work environment is (morale, work life balance, benefits… etc). I currently work for a department with a lot of good people and support, but the family and I are thinking about moving to South Carolina.

Originally posted by ASG070114 View Post
    I’m interested in going through the process with SLED. In trying to see what it compares to my current department. Does anyone know what the work environment is (morale, work life balance, benefits… etc). I currently work for a department with a lot of good people and support, but the family and I are thinking about moving to South Carolina.
    My direct experience having worked with SLED is that they are a good agency, with overall good morale, good equipment, a wide array of case work, and support from their brass.

For the narrow scope of case types I have interacted with them on through cases, they have been great. Lots of resources and bodies to throw at cases when needed. They have a good tactical team and equipment, air wing, and stuff to play with, if you're into all that.

They hire LE from outside, but it is very competitive for anyone who applies, both current SC LEOs and non-SC applicants. Your best bet is applying to any particular locations they have open, instead of locking yourself into a "I only want to live in Charleston" mindset (or other area).

As you probably know, the Carolinas and south as a whole have relatively low pay if you're coming from PNW or New England or west coast. However, you can buy 2,500 sqft brick homes on over an acre in the high 2s in SC, your income tax will be lower, your yearly property tax will seem like a mistake when you get it compared to paying $15,000 a year for a 2/1 1,100 sqft home on long island. And when I say mistake, I mean depending on where you are, the yearly bill may not have a comma in it.

Also, I think SC has a pretty long retirement requirement, over 25 years I think.

There are pros and cons to SC and living there, as there are anywhere, but there's a reason NC and SC are now high volume destinations for NY/NJ folks moving out of those areas.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to answer any Qs in a direct message with more info, what I typed here is what I know. I am not a SLED or SC LEO, all of this was gleaned from smoking and joking with SLED folks while out on ops, at their offices, riding with them, at trainings, etc.

Good luck.
    Last edited by battlewagon; 12-23-2022, 12:28 AM.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Thank you for the response! I appreciate the insight.

Comment

Originally posted by ASG070114 View Post
        Thank you for the response! I appreciate the insight.
        Above I managed to make a typo in the worst possible way, and said 'without overall good morale', when it should have been 'with'. Edited and fixed, and I'm sure you inferred that. But just FYi in case not.
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4840 users online. 263 members and 4577 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X