300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring On with a Military Spouse

So my spouse is thinking about enlisting (which she has my full support if she chooses); however, how does that work with duty assignments (looking to get hired by the USMS soon-ish)? I assume there is some accommodation/compromise made for locations? I served ten years myself and never ran into this issue, so I'm interested if anyone else has seen something similar. She is interested in Active Duty.

Originally posted by Indians56 View Post
    So my spouse is thinking about enlisting (which she has my full support if she chooses); however, how does that work with duty assignments (looking to get hired by the USMS soon-ish)? I assume there is some accommodation/compromise made for locations? I served ten years myself and never ran into this issue, so I'm interested if anyone else has seen something similar. She is interested in Active Duty.
    I would except absolutely zero accommodation from the majority of agencies on this. I can only see this being a thing in military agencies or smaller agencies. Some of the 3 letter agencies I've been with dont even help for spouses with other agencies being reassigned locations under the same Department , such as HSI and USSS, ERO and FPS, etc.

I don't think SCRA will apply either.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

I would except absolutely zero accommodation from the majority of agencies on this. I can only see this being a thing in military agencies or smaller agencies. Some of the 3 letter agencies I've been with dont even help for spouses with other agencies being reassigned locations under the same Department , such as HSI and USSS, ERO and FPS, etc.

I don't think SCRA will apply either.
      Understood, it may be easier for the mil to accommodate vice the LE side. Appreciate the feedback, I'll do some more research.

Comment

Needs of the service…

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          Needs of the service…
          Ain't that the truth. We will just work through it one problem at a time. I need to get to/through FLETC before she can do anything anyways.

Comment

I would expect ZERO accommodations,…..are you both OK living apart?

What service branch?

Comment

Originally posted by Indians56 View Post

Understood, it may be easier for the mil to accommodate vice the LE side. Appreciate the feedback, I'll do some more research.
              When you mention Enlist, I assume you do mean the enlisted service, vs going in as a commission officer, correct?

I would expect and fully prepare for a hard life, being separated from each other the vast majority of her enlistment.

Comment

Could always examine the reserves for your spouse, who can likely get Title 10 orders as they want, whether in response to the branch soliciting (reservist to fill for long term vacation or parental leave for active duty, etc), or T10 to go active duty at their drilling unit. When I was a reservist, there was pretty much an open invite to get orders to go active duty at my unit for as little (30 days) or long (months at a time) as a reservist wanted.

Also, you should explore national guard and AGR roles.

Good luck.
                UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                  Could always examine the reserves for your spouse, who can likely get Title 10 orders as they want, whether in response to the branch soliciting (reservist to fill for long term vacation or parental leave for active duty, etc), or T10 to go active duty at their drilling unit. When I was a reservist, there was pretty much an open invite to get orders to go active duty at my unit for as little (30 days) or long (months at a time) as a reservist wanted.

Also, you should explore national guard and AGR roles.

Good luck.
                  I think this (reserves) makes the most sense. We have kids and the juice isn't worth what it would do to them.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post

When you mention Enlist, I assume you do mean the enlisted service, vs going in as a commission officer, correct?

I would expect and fully prepare for a hard life, being separated from each other the vast majority of her enlistment.
                    I also graduated from our gun club, so the only stipulation is not the box of degenerate misfits that is the MC... I know our tribe too well . She doesn't know yet, just wants to do her part. Reserves make the most sense.

Comment

Good luck, I hope it works out.

Semper Fi

Comment

HSI reassigned an agent friend of mine to a different SAC office based on his wife's PCS in the Army. I wouldn't count on it as the norm, but it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
                          Good luck, I hope it works out.

Semper Fi
                          Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Quo Vadis View Post
                            HSI reassigned an agent friend of mine to a different SAC office based on his wife's PCS in the Army. I wouldn't count on it as the norm, but it happens.
                            True, but I don't think basing my family's future on a one-off is wise. They might entertain it once.... But I feel like multiple times is not fair to the organization from me as an employee.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2391 users online. 163 members and 2228 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X