300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIA SPS Police

I'd like to get some insight from you guys, especially those on the federal side. I am a local LEO with a few years on looking to make the jump to the federal side (for too many reasons to list here). I'm interested in CIA police as I've heard its a great way to get a foot in the door at the agency and it would get me a TS SCI+ clearance. They also pay well, have good equipment, but are more or less force protection from what I've been told. They haves fers pecial retirement, not 6c, which is a pretty big negative.

Is this considered a good gig? And is it true that it’s a good stepping stone to get to other interesting positions within the agency? Would you take it over something like CBP which has an actual 6c retirement?

I work at a different national security agency and my org has a similar gig to CIA SPS Police (all the 3 letter orgs have some sort of police/guard force, some have multiple if they're co-located on a Mil base or a different USG campus).

First, like all the other agencies, it is a force pro guard force. Some of them even give out parking tickets (no joke). And as a police officer at one agency told me "it sucks cuz it's considered a good job when nothing happens, but that's boring". CIA does have their own retirement and they get special benefits, beyond those at some other fed agencies including better than some other intel agencies.

As far as it being a good stepping stone, I'm not sure. I've certainly heard of CIA folks entering in one job and transferring to a different one across directorates. I'm sure it depends on your background. Ex: Having an area studies degree (Russia or China Studies) or a Master's Degree in International Affairs with Mandarin/Russian/Korean/etc language capability will make your ability to transfer within or apply externally much easier. One easy route would be to be a CIA Police Officer but go to NIU part-time and get a grad degree for free in an area of study that interests you that you could turn into a future career.

As far as BP vs CIA SPS Police I think it depends on what you want to do. If your goal is to work in the IC and/or within CIA (say as an Analyst, in the DO, etc), take the CIA Police gig. If your goal is to do actual law enforcement, CIA Police (nor NSA Police, etc, etc) is not the place to be. The guy I know left being a DC Metro PD cop to be an IC cop, said it was boring but good quality of life, but left due to getting a non-LE offer to be a GS-13 elsewhere in DoD. I would say BP is a far easier path to go elsewhere in Fed LE.

The TS//SCI only matters if you intend to stay within the IC. FBI, DEA, etc are all going to do their own background anyway. Where it can help is say being a CIA Police officer sucks you can then apply to be a contractor somewhere, albeit contractors with a TS//SCI are a dime a dozen in the DC metro area so you'll need the right background beyond the clearance to get good paying contractor offers.

Comment

If you want to remain in the DC area, USSS UD is probably easier to get into, doesn't have the service contract like SPS (unless you take the paid move but even then it is very short), is a covered LE retirement job, and has more opportunities to do real police work than SPS. Their Trek team (bike patrol) is about real police as you can be without being a street cop, they are always getting into something. Then there's the embassy patrol gigs where they are making legit traffic stops under DC LE authority, and some other gigs. They also get high clearances, with opportunities to get into actual Intel or secret squirrel stuff.

The reality is USSS UD is a high turnover, mostly static job, with forced shifts, not many days off, but the good part about an agency with such bad retention is you can make some of the gigs I mentioned with 2-3 years in potentially. It is, however, a tough pill to swallow agency.

If location does not matter, my answer is always BP. It is the gateway to 1811s and a good job while you're there.
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

What about Capital police? seems like they are the highest paying, and i believe they get a TS/SCI as well(could be wrong).

Im not in Federal LE yet, but I'm in the IC and i would say it could be hard to get into a IC position without the college and experience. Not impossible though, i know a guy who was NSA Police, and is now doing Facility stuff.

Comment

• Badger99
          Badger99 commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe some USCP get a TS//SCI, some do not. I'm sure it depends on your specific job. (Ex: all members of the JTTF get a TS//SCI, of which USCP is a part of. There's a SCIF in the Capitol as well so folks that deal with that will be cleared, etc, etc)

Concur on your second point. Not sure on the CIA SPS Police job, but I do know for most if not close to all CIA jobs they require a college degree. And for analyst or technical jobs they will look for related areas of study if not that plus related experience. The usual route for an analyst job for example is to go to grad school and apply during it as an intern or after. A lot of CIA analysts I've met have grad degrees, and the ones that didn't all kinda interned at CIA or interned at another agency, got experience, and then got hired by CIA.

I guess the IC is just very different from most of fed LE (I'm putting aside fed CI investigations, transnational CT, etc). People need to make the decision whether they which route they want.

Also if your goal is to get into the IC look into the NSA hiring Counter Intelligence investigators currently. You have the required law enforcement experience, and they will get you the clearance + Ci Poly.

Comment

• ninjaba9
          ninjaba9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you know anyone with this specific job? I've applied for the last 2 years everytime there's an opening but I have never heard anything back past being referred. I have 3 years law enforcement with 4-year degree.

• dom_v
          dom_v commented
          Editing a comment
          No i don't., sorry. I have just seen recently that they are hiring

Does anyone know anything about the “protective agent” position with the agency? I mean, anything more than the job description.

Comment

• Badger99
          Badger99 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's stuff similar to being on the Worldwide Protectice Service (WPS) contract at Dept of State. Or I suppose it's the folks made famous in the movie 13 Hours.

What I will say is everyone that works there has a solid amount of Military Special Operations experience. Just being combat arms infantry or being a part-time SWAT officer is not going to cut it. Applicants are going to all be experienced SEALs, Rangers, etc; basically a bunch of bad***es who are probably bored now that the GWOT has wound down.

The Executive Protection job is what it says, it's CIA leadership's Secret Service detail of sorts. I don't know how far down the chain leaders get a detail but the CIA Dir does get their own protective detail (as an ex, SecDef is protected by Army CID, FBI Dir is protected by a FBI detail, SecState is protected by DSS, and the National Security Advisor is protected by USSS).

• dom_v
          dom_v commented
          Editing a comment
          They arent hiring currently for this are they? i know i checked a month or so ago.

• CCCSD
          CCCSD commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have the work history to qualify?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3798 users online. 235 members and 3563 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X