300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

No sarcasm intended. Just showing how HSI is taking the lead on international wildlife trafficking, while the fleecing of the American taxpayer known as FWS OLE is relegated to obsolete irrelevancy.
    For every govt agency, is there not at least one other redundant, obsolete agency to take up funding? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay Salty VB View Post

For every govt agency, is there not at least one other redundant, obsolete agency to take up funding? Lol.
      There's truth to that, no doubt. The inefficiency is intentional too... the founders didn't want a single federal agency amassing too much power. Hence the 70 different LE agencies, including some rather obscure ones (I'm talking about you, Railroad Retirement Board and Peace Corps OIGs).

What's unique about FWS OLE is the level of institutional arrogance for an agency that's been reduced to near total irrelevance. If congress were paying attention, they'd line item the OLE budget to zero to reflect the state of return. But the annual budget of OLE is less than the cost of two F-35s, and congress has bigger problems to deal with right now (I'm talking about you, Vlad and Xi).

Nature abhors a vacuum, especially vacuums creating by incompetence. Which is why HSI is stepping forward as the lead on addressing global wildlife trafficking.

Wildlife Trafficking Fact Sheet — IPRCenter
      Last edited by Ratatatat; 02-20-2022, 09:30 AM.
      When the wolf tells the story, the shepard is the enemy.

Comment

• DSApplicant
        DSApplicant commented
        Editing a comment
        Anthropologist I applied too. It's my dream job. I hope that's not necessarily true as it's my first time applying and I'll bee too old in a year and a half.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        DSApplicant Hopefully that isn't always the case. Stay optimistic! It's my dream job as well, but I still have enough years left to try multiple times (even with 1-2 year wait times) before aging out of the process.

• emtguy89
        emtguy89 commented
        Editing a comment
        DSApplicant go apply to BOP. It stops the age clock and they hire pretty quickly.

• DSApplicant
        DSApplicant commented
        Editing a comment
        emtguy89 It stops the clock for getting an 1811 position??

Any word on when this announcement goes live? I saw a post in another forum that said 5pm ET February 23.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleHaul View Post
        Any word on when this announcement goes live? I saw a post in another forum that said 5pm ET February 23.
        I see people saying February 22, I will say just keep refreshing every midnight from the 22 and on.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleHaul View Post
          Sometime between the 22 and 23. I’d keep your alerts on and your resume ready starting Monday night.

Comment

So... what's the answer are we applying to this or we don't wanna hunt for elephant tusks.

Comment

• Page
              Page commented
              Editing a comment
              Count me in. I hope Ratatatat may have some insight on what are good locations to choose for that one?

• Stay Salty VB
              Stay Salty VB commented
              Editing a comment
              Lmao. Never said I wasn’t applying. That’s definitely happening. I will leave the transfer request to the wildlife trafficking groups to you outdoorsy types if we make the cut however. We don’t have many elephants in my jurisdiction so unfortunately my expertise is very limited in that field.

• Page
              Page commented
              Editing a comment
              It is a nice flyer for the program. I found a typo though:

"HSI Commercial Fraud Unit overseas the wildlife trafficking program for the agency."

No biggie, I can see how that could easily get missed. At least it wasn't a "HIS".

Originally posted by dark321 View Post
            So... what's the answer are we applying to this or we don't wanna hunt for elephant tusks.
            I’m down to hunt for some elephant tusks, sign me up!

Comment

Polygraph?

Comment

• dark321
                dark321 commented
                Editing a comment
                yea unfortunately

• IroqouisB
                IroqouisB commented
                Editing a comment
                I found out why USMS has nicer take home cars. It's because they don't spend millions on the magic 8-ball like everyone else does. We're in the age of google, where anyone can study up on the overpriced coin-flip.

This is from a guy who has taken 10 examinations and passed all of them. I need to start my polygraph contract service. I'm missing on out that bread.

Are there certain locations to apply for that are more specialized in the wildlife trafficking investigations?
              Attache offices in Africa and Asia and commercial fraud groups in big SAC offices.

I will leave the transfer request to the wildlife trafficking groups to you outdoorsy types if we make the cut however.
              For you pipehitters and knuckledraggers there will still be plenty of running and gunning in the dope group, gang group, bulk cash group, VCTF, SRT, etc.

Polygraph?
              Will reduce the applicant pool by 50%. Eating adderall in college was a big Gen Z thing but now it's a career ender for many....
              When the wolf tells the story, the shepard is the enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

For you pipehitters and knuckledraggers there will still be plenty of running and gunning in the dope group, gang group, bulk cash group, VCTF, SRT, etc.
                You’re speaking my language with these cool acronyms now. Meathead approved. Can’t wait for this to open.

Comment

I may have said it above and I have certainly said it before, but my sole piece of advice to all you happily applying who I sincerely hope get job offers is be sure you accept an offer for an office that you are willing to live and work at for a minimum of 5 years. And more importantly, your family.

Go ahead and forget the 3 year SFLR. You're not getting Nashville or Tampa in 3 or 5 or 7 or 9 years.

And when the SFLR transfer programs open it's always a strategic game by the agency at your disadvantage. A great example is one of the most recent (I think the most recent) completed SFLRs. They only put realtively crappy locations on it just to lure people who have been on the border or PR or NYC or LA to fill those offices because they knew people there would take the relatively crappy offices because they're better than Presido or Laredo or Douglas.

Bunch of people in the agency, including low level regional management wondered why their offices weren't listed on the SFLR knowing the SAC office had dozens of openings and even more in the SAC region. This was not a secret there were openings everywhere that were not listed. Well now the SFLR that is about to imminently drop (the next one after the aforementioned one) is suddenly going to have the 3 dozen openings in Dallas that mysteriously weren't on the last one. SAC DC will have offices there that were oddly absent on the prior. Copy and paste this for pretty much all the interior SACs. And this is not a timing thing where those openings become open after the deadline for them to create the previous SFLR, etc Gotta offer a swig of water to the most thirsty to fill the offices people don't want, only then offer the next round of people a full gallon jug. And the direct hire authority absolutely killed morale for many and lead to many agents finally tossing in the towel and applying elsewhere. The agency does not care about you being stuck in San Juan for 7 years but not being willing to settle for Brownsville or San Ysidro. The indifference is almost uniquely HSI; San Juan for example is considered a hardship office for nearly all DOJ SAs. Paid moves there, do 4/5/etc years and get a paid move back stateside to your short list. Hardship pay on top of LEAP, home leave program. HSI uniquely does pretty much none of this.

Nonetheless, great job. Highly recommend in almost every way other than how the agency deals with locations and transfers.
                  Last edited by battlewagon; 02-20-2022, 09:14 PM.
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Abaddon
                    Abaddon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry, what does SFLR stand for?

• dark321
                    dark321 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Self funded lateral request? i think

• Bidstar
                    Bidstar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    dark321 this is just an assumption, but probably the quality of life is not as good as if you were in the states, so moving to a territory like that would make feel way out of place than what you used to. And honestly, I would like to settle in the States too. Even though I’m a young fella I don’t think staying in Puerto Rico for 10+ years wouldn’t sit well with me either, I would rather work in NYC than PR lol

• battlewagon
                    battlewagon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not speaking the commonly spoken language is a start lol. Does your spouse speak Spanish? If not, there go a ton of their job possibilities. Same for your kids. The large majority of people in PR speak English, but that doesn't make it the primary language.

Your move out there is unpaid, though I think HSI may have done an announcement recently where they paid the initial move as a pilot. SFLR when you finally get a transfer are unpaid back to the states. And you pay tax to the IRS in the states and also tax to the PR Revenue Bureau.

Anyone know when next lateral job announcement will be announced? I'm currently a 12 and unfortunately can't afford to back to a 9

Comment

• cbp1363
                    cbp1363 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another forum stated HSI has not had their Direct Hire authority reinstated by congress. The last lateral announcement was direct hire. I would guess until that happens there won’t be another lateral announcement. Plus there are laterals who have been on over a year and still need to complete HSISAT.

• 2B18-11
                    2B18-11 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    cbp1363, do you have any idea why the direct hire authority has been pending/not approved?

• DoubleHaul
                    DoubleHaul commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If an agency wants direct hire authority from OPM, it has to show 1) a severe shortage of candidates or 2) a critical hiring need. For 1811 jobs, the former is rarely an issue, so that leaves ICE having to convince the administration it has a critical need to hire more special agents (and couldn't meet its staffing requirements through the regular competitive process). That could be a tough sell considering many people running the White House, not to mention about half of Congress, spent the last 5 years demonizing the agency. I wouldn't expect ICE to get direct hire authority under the current administration.

I keep refreshing usajobs and the announcements seem to not been popping up (for now)

Comment

• dark321
                    dark321 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Since it's not direct hire, it will probably be there for a while I think? With last direct hire, it was limited to first 500 or something.

Random question here and it may or may not apply to this upcoming HSI announcement but hoping someone with knowledge could comment. If this is a nationwide announcement listing nearly all SAC Field Offices but I only want to be considered for one or two specific locations would I lose consideration for being hired if I select that location on geographical preference and then select NO to the “Would you be willing to accept any of the field offices conus or oconus based on the needs of HSI?” Obviously my verbiage may be off there but I always see that question it seems. Because truth be told I’m not in a position to move all the way across the country for a location I’m not interested in. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Stay Salty VB
                    Stay Salty VB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, you probably won’t be considered tbh. Most Fed agencies you have to be willing to move at least once to wherever they need you to be competitive in the process.

• Grey De Leon
                    Grey De Leon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Before you even get a tentative offer you have to sign a mobility agreement, the positive if you get where you want very low chance of them moving you.

• 2B18-11
                    2B18-11 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grey De Leon, when you select your preferences/where you want to be considered, can you only select by SAC offices or can you select individual field offices within a specific SAC’s AOR?

only announcements im seeing on USAjobs is the OIG one and that closes today

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3023 users online. 212 members and 2811 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X