Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it that protection based police agencies have such a high turnover rate?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that protection based police agencies have such a high turnover rate?

For many years, I’ve always wonder why these protection based police agencies like US Capitol, US secret service UD, and etc. have such high turnover? I mean, these agencies have lots of funding and get paid extremely well. I would think coming from a local law enforcement agency, that would be a sweet gig. However, I haven’t been employed by these federal police agencies to see for myself. So, bottom line, why do these protection based police agencies have high turnover rates despite all the funding, student loan repayments plans, and etc. I’m very curious.

Majority of them are just glorified security guard jobs. They might pay well but when you don't get to do much real police work and just stand guard at a building.

Most people get those jobs expecting to be doing work like a patrolman does. Reality is most of them don't. So people leave for other jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by fathitman View Post
      Majority of them are just glorified security guard jobs. They might pay well but when you don't get to do much real police work and just stand guard at a building.

Most people get those jobs expecting to be doing work like a patrolman does. Reality is most of them don't. So people leave for other jobs.
      Hit the nail on the head. Had a couple buddies get higher paying “force protection” positions over the last few years, they’re all talking about taking massive pay cuts to come back and hoof a beat again. Being well paid, well trained and well equipped is great, but they never feel they’re able to do anything with these benefits as they’re stuck in a guard house all day.

Comment

As stated by the above members…its a glorified security guard position. Although they are called and have police powers, one really doesn’t do typical police work. Guarding ingress/egress positions, perimeter's, isn’t being on routine patrol handling a multitude of jobs during a tour of duty. Even in small towns, everyday is different, not so with the jobs mentioned in the OP’s post.
        Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

I imagine many if not most join, then as stated above, realize it's not really fun at all; glorified security guard.

Comment

Mind numbing boring work. Want a sense what it's like? Go put on a suit and tie or starchy uniform and stiff shoes and stand in your garage from 12a to 12p. Do it again tomorrow night, and the next night. Now imagine doing that 10,000 more times.

There are mental exercises one can do to pass time, like build an imaginary house, nail by nail, from start to finish. Just like the POWs at Hanoi Hilton would do to escape the dreary days.

Money and job security are important but so is a daily sense of purpose, as in what we do for a living is important and has value. I'm not saying halls and walls work isn't important, what I am saying is day after day it becomes harder to recognize the value when all you do is stare at little flecks of paint hour after hour, day after day.

Sometimes it gets mildly interesting. On one of my last protective details (president of an African country none of you ever heard of), in a posh Manhattan hotel, every night his military generals would emerge from their rooms in their pajamas and tighty-whities and congregate in the hall outside the president's suite, laughing and joking and making enough noise until the president emerged to engage in their fun for a few minutes before bed. It was a pretty amusing scene to behold, but then they returned to their rooms and the rest of the night was hours of standing in silence.

A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

― H.L. Mencken

Comment

Boring sounds good.... $0.02

Comment

Sounds like less paperwork...and less poop...and less urine...and less blood...and less doing CPR on blue-colored infants in drug houses...and less cutting down the cold stiff bodies of stunningly beautiful teenaged girls because somebody said something mean on social media...and, well, you get the general idea...

Comment

A lot of people use these jobs to stop the clock or as a stepping stone to more desirable federal jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                  On one of my last protective details (president of an African country none of you ever heard of)
                  Was it Djibouti, by any chance?

I once arrested a beligerent drunk who claimed he was the "honorary consul of Djibouti" and threatened he'd "have my badge".

Comment

As you can already see in this thread, greener grass etc.

Comment

Those agencies treat their employees like garbage, that's why. And the protectees are sometimes worse.

Comment

There's one in particular that treats their employees like trash (i won't name the specific one). From what I have been told the duties are dull, and little room for advancement unless you want to go management. If you want to start your covered retirement, take the job, but be in the process for others so you can leave within a year.

Comment

I am in the final stages with the USSS for the 1811 position. As someone who is coming from outside the law enforcement world, it seems like the easiest/quickest way to "stop the clock" and transition careers into federal law enforcement.

In my experience, the reality of the job has been reiterated throughout the entire hiring process. At every step (SUPER, security interview, polygraph, home visit, and the various phone calls) the demands and hardships are made known to the applicant. You should have no false pretenses in accepting the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                            Sounds like less paperwork...and less poop...and less urine...and less blood...and less doing CPR on blue-colored infants in drug houses...and less cutting down the cold stiff bodies of stunningly beautiful teenaged girls because somebody said something mean on social media...and, well, you get the general idea...
                            Speaking from experience, once you step back from the chaos, you start to miss it awful quick, no matter how burnt out you feel when you leave it behind.

Comment

• Aidokea
                              Aidokea
                              Forum Member
                              Aidokea commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I don't. Not at all.

I am VERY thankful to be honorably retired, especially in this current climate. I found law enforcement to be a very rewarding career. I find being retired from it even more rewarding...

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4305 users online. 269 members and 4036 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X