300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCIS GS 7 1811 position

I just applied to the GS 7 vacancy on usajobs.gov. what kind of applicants do they look for? Will having "actively learning foreign language, current novice speaker" be something that helps me get into this potential position?

The reason I ask is because my goal is to land an 1811 spot with overseas/international missions, and DCIS has a handful of overseas offices. Hoping that I can get into that niche.

Thanks in advance for any input

I asked a hiring manager this same question and was told “we are just looking for good people.” As in character, good teammate, people who love the military (this was my interpretation).
    Last edited by DilithiumDenard; 09-14-2021, 06:11 PM.
    "Between you and every goal that you wish to achieve, there is a series of obstacles, and the bigger the goal, the bigger the obstacles. Your decision to be, have and do something out of the ordinary entails facing difficulties and challenges that are out of the ordinary as well. Sometimes your greatest asset is simply your ability to stay with it longer than anyone else."
    ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

In this a position open to the public? I don’t see it posted on USAJobs.

Comment

Not sure what they are looking for in applicants, but worked with a few on a handful of fraud stuff - most were from MCIOs.
      Seemed like a squared-away bunch.

If overseas/international is more your cup of tea, you may want to look into foreign service agencies like USAID, Peace Corps, Commerce, and State Department. Best of luck on your journey.

Comment

Current MCIO 1811 working fraud. I work joint on almost all of my cases with DCIS. DCIS is the DOD version of the FBI. Everyone I've met came from either internal (analyst, auditor, intel) or lateral 1811 from another OIG/MCIO.

Comment

Originally posted by SDM8492 View Post
          Current MCIO 1811 working fraud. I work joint on almost all of my cases with DCIS. DCIS is the DOD version of the FBI. Everyone I've met came from either internal (analyst, auditor, intel) or lateral 1811 from another OIG/MCIO.
          Gonna assume my chances are slim to none then lol

Comment

• SDM8492
            SDM8492 commented
            Editing a comment
            Never hurts to apply. You never know what will come of it.

• Yak
            Yak commented
            Editing a comment
            SDM8492, that's how I look at it. I have zero LE experience, when it comes to these positions I apply anyway. You may not generally have what they usually look for, but you could have something they are in need of that not many people are able to offer such as highly sought after language skills or some other niche.

Just saw today that AFOSI has a GL-7 open to the public

Comment

re: DCIS

I work joint cases with them as HHS OIG. Great bunch of guys. Unfortunately, they are working less TRICARE fraud due to agency priorities, thus I assume its more contract fraud nowadays.

Used to work with an Agent back in early 2000's who had to park his GOV at a police or fire dept. because his home was outside the required 50 mile commute radius. Always found that odd as they were the only agency I knew that enforced that rule. We still throw that around in the 1811 world as a negative about DCIS but it may not even be true any longer. Who knows.

I was told by one of their Agents that you do not have to do OCONUS because they never have a lack of 1811s willing to go to those overseas assignments. So I wouldn't get my hopes up that you'd get hired and be able to go overseas right away, if that's your desire. May be a waiting list.

We've had Agents jump ship to DCIS and like it. Not many leave DCIS to us. However, just in my everyday interactions with DCIS 1811s, they seem to be more micro-managed than other OIGs. Maybe it's a DoD thing.

Oh, and they require an entry-level PT test prior to going to FLETC. One of the few OIGs, if not the only one, that has this pre-FLETC hiring requirement. I do not know those standards.
            Last edited by Piko; 09-16-2021, 03:49 PM. Reason: additional info man

Comment

Also put in for this. Current 1811. Just had a friend go over to them. Curious if they already have someone in mind since it is for one spot per location. anyone have any idea how quick they do their notification and hiring process ?

Comment

I imagine it will be tougher for entry level applicants to get hired since the announcements are open up to 12s. Probably plenty of current 1811s willing to bust to a 12 for a year for locations, versus if the announcement was a 7/9. And even then, NC is a pretty prime location that some would even be willing to bust to a 9 for. Prime example of commenter above with a current 1811 who applied.

I know some people who have applied as well. Good luck all.
                UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

The entry-level announcement was canceled.
                  Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 09-20-2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Heads up, this got reposted. First 150 applicants.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/615996600

Comment

Kind of messed up they canceled and then bring it back up for only 150 applicants. I already know I missed this boat..

Comment

• Combymcbeardz
                        Combymcbeardz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, what's up with that?!

• Winter_Patriot
                        Winter_Patriot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        When they canceled the last one, I emailed and asked if they were going to re-post the vacancy. There was no response.

Im pretty sure I made the 150 cap

Comment

So far I was found eligible. Waiting to see if I get referred.

Comment

• Yak
                          Yak commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Same. I'd love to work with them, but short of getting some experience first it seems like a long shot.

• Winter_Patriot
                          Winter_Patriot commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I received the same email. Only two spots, we’ll see what happens.
                          Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 10-13-2021, 05:47 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3245 users online. 218 members and 3027 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X