Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hockeysticks
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2021

Any updates from anyone? I am currently waiting to see if I get offered an interview.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing since taking the exam. Historically, it takes about at least one month before results.

• Hockeysticks
      Hockeysticks commented
      Editing a comment
      Winter_Patriot I’m thinking interviews will happen mid November-early December.
  • Big4to1811
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2021

Received notice to schedule exam on 10/25.

Took the KASE today, 10/29. Feeling okay about it. If I fail, I know exactly how to prepare for it next time around (assuming the format remains the same)… Hopefully I performed well enough in other areas of the exam for an interview.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats on finishing the exam. It was different than I expected. The portions I thought would be tough (as a non-accounting person) were actually some of the simpler ones. I could have used another 30-60 minutes, I felt pretty rushed.

• Frank020387
      Frank020387 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do many people fail the exam? Do they grade certain portions of the exam differently?

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      There’s a rumor that only 200/3000 passed it a few hiring cycles ago. I don’t know if that’s accurate, would make it harder than the foreign service exam which seems unlikely. Wouldn’t surprise me if the actual pass rate was less than 50%.

• Big4to1811
      Big4to1811 commented
      Editing a comment
      Winter_Patriot - Like you, I wish I could have been granted an additional 30-60 minutes. I have an accounting background, but a study guide with some insight on how the exam is formatted would have been helpful.
  • Winter_Patriot
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2019

Anyone receive the test results yet?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2019

Received my results, I passed. Category C though. I am happy to get a passing score even though I don’t think Cat C usually results in an interview.
      Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 11-08-2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Big4to1811
        Big4to1811 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations! I'm expecting to receive the results by end of month (November).

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. With your background, I think you’ll get good news. I only waited about three weeks for my results.

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Referred for the GL-7 and GL-9 positions. Does anyone know if that means I'll be considered for interviews along with the Category As and Bs? Or do all Cat A/B applicants need to be interviewed before Cat C is eligible?

I'm happy to have made it this far either way. IRS is near the top of my list for agencies. I do have another offer that's pending background medical now, which is my #1 choice. But IRS is a close second.
    • 2021gradmath
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2021

I was rated CAT C & referred to hiring managers in all five field offices I applied for. Any chance I’ll get an interview?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Some Cat Cs have been offered interviews.
        Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 11-20-2021, 05:33 PM.
    • 2021gradmath
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2021

Does anyone know what the medical consists of? (Does it include like blood and ekg like some?) and whether or not it’s scheduled through a private company or some kind of government provider? Thanks

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd like to know too.

Do the medical and background run simultaneously, or do you need to clear background before scheduling medical?
    • Fraud Investigator
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by 2021gradmath
      Does anyone know what the medical consists of? (Does it include like blood and ekg like some?) and whether or not it’s scheduled through a private company or some kind of government provider? Thanks
      Their medical is through CHS, and IRS medicals are known to be more stringent compared to some other agencies.

Comment

• 18usc3583
        18usc3583 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Piko,

Would you be able provide us the the color vision standard required by the HHS/OIG/OI policy manual? The OIPPM should have a short blurb on it, similar to other agencies/OIGs' manuals. For example, GSA-OIG color vision standard is:

(page 352 of the pdf)

Abnormal color vision with severe color deficiency in any color is generally disqualifying. Must be able
        to pass standard Farnsworth D‐15 color vision test. The use of X‐Chrom contact lenses or tinted
        spectacle lenses are not permitted in the testing of color vision; and Visual fields must be full with good
        peripheral vision. Any history of eye disease or any medical condition likely to cause eye disease, such as
        retinopathy, glaucoma, retinitis pigmentosa, or retinal detachment will require visual field evaluation by
        an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

• Piko
        Piko commented
        Editing a comment
        18usc3583,

If you know the term "OIPPM" then you already have it...

• 18usc3583
        18usc3583 commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha, believe me Piko I wish that were the case. There are a few of us with less than perfect color vision going through the process with your agency and knowing upfront what the policy is and what alternate tests (if any) are accepted would really help gauge our ability to successfully pass the medical, or at least know what test to go out and take to have ready for the agency.

• Yak
        Yak commented
        Editing a comment
        Piko, that's what I was curious about, I'm not saying there should be different standards, I'm just genuinely curious on the outside looking in if the standards do need to be same. With my lack of background in the arena, to me it seems like it would be something I could see an ATF explosives expert needing but should the same standard be set for someone working white collar crimes for example. I don't know the in-and-outs of either job so I have no idea, that's why I was curious as to why it is a requirement for all, is it actually that detrimental to all aspects of the 1811 world?
        Last edited by Yak; 11-21-2021, 12:06 PM.
    • Hockeysticks
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2021

Like others, I’m kind of curious on the medical and how often people fail it. I have a couple concerns, such as my vision. My uncorrected vision isn’t the best, but it is 20/20 with contacts.

Comment

• Big4to1811
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2021

Just received results of the SA KaSE. I did not meet the required passing score on at least one part of the assessment. I know exactly where I failed! I’ll have to wait a year before retaking the exam.

That’s fine. I’m expecting a FJO soon for a Revenue Officer position within the IRS. In the meantime, I’ll put it in for other entry-level 1811 roles/agencies, start a new learning opportunity, and invest time pursuing the CPA license.

I’m still young and have time on my side. As long as I’m focused and work smart, I’ll get it eventually… By the time I’m eligible to reapply for IRS CI, I’ll be eligible to put in for FBI. Also, hopeful that I will be 4/4 completed with the CPA exam. Trying to be as optimistic as possible, ha!
      Last edited by Big4to1811; 11-23-2021, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• 2021gradmath
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2021

My interview was the last week, and I felt like I did really poorly. I feel like I over thought everything. I was hoping we might found out results today.I was Cat-C, so I doubt I stand a chance. Anyone else feel the same way?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          Do Cat C people need to score more points on the interview to get hired, compared to someone with a higher Cat A/B score? Or is everyone on equal footing at the time of the interview?

• cdubya
          cdubya commented
          Editing a comment
          My understanding is each of these steps are independent of each other. If you passed the KASE to get the interview, then your chance for an offer is based almost entirely on the interview at that point. I'll see if I can find out more information.
      • Big4to1811
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2021

New Job Announcement: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/625233300

Good luck!

Comment

• gkov
          gkov commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't know a damn thing about accounting and I'm not great at math. Should i even apply?

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          If you have experience with fraud cases (even ID theft or theft), it's worth applying and trying to qualify on experience. Probably no better time in recent memory. I had no formal training or education in accounting.

Last year I wasn't allowed to take the KASE exam, so I reworked my resume and used more of the language from the announcement. How you describe your experience is the key apparently. This year I was invited to take the KASE. I was surprised I passed it and even more surprised to be offered an interview.

• cdubya
          cdubya commented
          Editing a comment
          gkov If you don't have the credit hours in accounting, or the specific experience regarding audits/examinations/financial investigations the announcement has, then don't. If there's one thing that weeds out more applicants than anything else, it's that.

• gkov
          gkov commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!
      • Dorsia
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2021

Applied to the newest announcement, got invited and took phase 2 same day. Only have around 8 accounting credits (in process of finishing up 15), BA and current Fed Analyst with around 2 years of specific experience. Hoping I can knock down some more phases this time around.

Comment

• kvasir
          kvasir commented
          Editing a comment
          The announcement from today? (22-11313378C-CIX-1811-7T9)

• Dorsia
          Dorsia commented
          Editing a comment
          kvasir, yeah the most recent one
      • Big4to1811
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2021

Per the new job announcement, it states: “Your assessment results will be kept on record for three years and used toward future positions for which you might apply that require the same assessments. If you fail any part of the assessment you will need to wait 12 months from your test date to retake it. Due to a change in testing requirements, scores rendered prior to 12/1/2021 will no longer be valid.”

If the exam requirements were adjusted and scores are not valid prior to 12/1/2021, does that waive the 1 year waiting period to retake the SA KASE?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2019

Tentative offer received.

Comment

• Shadowtrain
            Shadowtrain commented
            Editing a comment
            HELLA CONGRATS!

I really enjoy working with IRS-CI. Always been a positive experience and they definitely need the bodies.

Let's hope the rest of the process goes smooth without any hiccups and that TO turns into a FO!

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I'm shocked to make it this far in the process. I'll keep you all updated.

For anyone who has applied or is thinking about the new announcement, hang in there. I would recommend being persistent and not being discouraged.

If you can, get the accounting credits instead of trying to qualify on fraud experience, because it's hit or miss whether HR will accept your experience. You can pass the KaSE and interview without being an accountant or having the credits, but it's hard. If I could do it again, I would have obtained the credits. That's an easier route than working state fraud cases and cramming by reading accounting textbooks for a month like I did. 

If you are going to try to qualify based on experience, try to match your resume to the job qualifications and be very detailed in your resume. That jammed me up the first time I applied. HR isn't allowed to assume anything. If you say that you worked fraud cases for example, you should also spell out that you reviewed technical discovery, became familiar with accounting practices, know how to review Quickbooks, etc. Really spell it all out.

• cmor5150
            cmor5150 commented
            Editing a comment
            Winter_Patriot what accounting book(s) would you recommend for preparing for the KASE?

• Big4to1811
            Big4to1811 commented
            Editing a comment
            cmor5150 While I can’t comment on which sections for the KASE. Try getting accounting books that are in the syllabus of principles of financial accounting and tax accounting at your local college/university. Study the concepts, and less so the details (nitty gritty) of current US GAAP and Internal Revenue Code.

CPA review books could work, but that’s way too much material. Although if you already have FAR and REG; it could work, I presume.
            Last edited by Big4to1811; 12-10-2021, 10:31 AM.
        • Winter_Patriot
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2019

Here is my timeline for 21CIN-CIX0568-1811-7/9.

Applied: 07/07/21
          Updated Resume (Amended Announcement): 07/21/21
          Notice of Job Simulation Assessment Results 08/09/2021 (I had actually taken this late 2020 and the score carried over)
          Qualifications Determination: 09/21/21 (this is where my process ended in 2020)
          KaSE Invitation: 09/28/21 (approximately two week window to schedule the exam)
          KaSE: 10/16/21
          KaSE Results: 11/08/21
          KaSE Notice of Rating – Category C: 11/08/2021
          Referred for Interview Consideration: 11/10/21
          Interview Invitation: 11/17/21 (Zoom link with instructions)
          Interviewed: 11/19/21
          Tentative Offer Email: 12/07/21

My tentative offer location was #1 on my preference list. I have not done fingerprinting, UA test, SF86, medical, etc. The process is moving much more quickly than I expected. Good luck to everyone, let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12096 users online. 75 members and 12021 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...