300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dept of Ed. OIG 1811

Just seeing if anyone else applied to this opening? I know that these gigs are hard to get. I find it interesting that it is not for a specific location. Wondering if they have a few openings throughout all the AOR's? If any Agents could chime in on how they like the job that would be super valuable information.

The 7/9 announcement that is currently open is for internal candidates only.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      I applied in 2020. I believe that the vacancy announcement was either later canceled or put on hold. I'd have to check my application records.

• Cbpo443
      Cbpo443 commented
      Editing a comment
      They also had one for federal employees in the competative service and veterans. The announcment closed due to meeting the 100 applications they were accepting.

Originally posted by Cbpo443 View Post
    Just seeing if anyone else applied to this opening? I know that these gigs are hard to get. I find it interesting that it is not for a specific location. Wondering if they have a few openings throughout all the AOR's? If any Agents could chime in on how they like the job that would be super valuable information.
    The GS 7/9 internal announcements will start to be more common in the OIG world. A lot of OIGs (mine included) like to hire prior 1811s from places like HSI, DS, etc etc. OIGs are a very different animal than your traditional three-letter agencies. As a result, we have a lot of turnover because senior agents from those three-letter agencies don't like to put up with all the admin BS that most OIGs come with. Also, I have no problem with USSS agents, I have met a lot who are great. However, a lot of them have no business getting hired as a 13 lateral at an OIG that does complex procurement fraud. A lot of this is on the agency too. You get hired as a 13 you are expected to produce but if you have never worked procurement fraud then it can be tough.

Hiring an auditor from within at the GS 7/9 is starting to seem more cost-effective than hiring a lateral even though the new hire will have to go to FLETC. Why? Most auditors hired from within know the agency and all the admin BS. They aren't immediately looking to jump ship. When I look at my OIG, a lot of the agents who have been here 10+ years came from within the agency.

As for ED-OIG, they have had a lot of turnover. OIG's are not for everyone and can be especially awful if you have a bad 14 as your supe. I like it, but I can see why we lose agents within 6 months of their EOD.
    Last edited by AGInvestigator; 06-29-2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• GALAW
      GALAW commented
      Editing a comment
      This is kind of funny. I can assure you, USSS will still get picked up and go to pretty much any OIG shop. There maybe some outliers but few and far between. Nonetheless, it’s nothing new that USSS doesn’t work procurement fraud, but neither do any of the other major agencies but maybe FBI, but even they don’t work them to a level that a OIG would. If you think USSS doesn’t work complex investigations, simply just not true. Maybe not procurement fraud, but if you look at someone that works at an OIG shop, do they work money laundering cases involving cryptocurrency? No. Every fed has their niche but don’t try to downplay other agencies because they don’t work “procurement fraud”. They might bring other experiences just like you would if you went to another major fed agency.

i Look at the new articles on the agency that has investigated and recovered the most funds dealing with Cares Act fraud. To add, I know of recent of an ATF agent that went to work at an OIG to work procurement fraud with no financial crime experience whatsoever. Just wanted to comment as these forums sometime put out misinformation.
      Last edited by GALAW; 06-29-2021, 03:48 PM.

• AGInvestigator
      AGInvestigator commented
      Editing a comment
      GALAW Do you work for an OIG? I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I am talking about GS 13 laterals. I looked at my previous post and I think I was a bit unclear. Basically, a lot of OIG's I have talked to are starting to hire 13's primarily from other
      OIGs unless that agent has a specific investigative background or skillset.

As for my OIG, we were getting applications from a lot of USSS (and DSS agents for that matter) with less than 4 years on, who had only worked primarily protection details and were trying to lateral to an OIG as a 13 because they hated doing protection or the location where they were at. If they want to come on as a 9 or an 11 that is one thing. I came from a big 3 letter agency and busted down to a 9 when I came on because I had no business being a 13 in an agency that does complex procurement fraud. If the USSS/DSS agents on units doing complex investigations want to come over I'm sure they would be welcomed in a heartbeat. Those aren't the people we are getting though.

Again, this is why OIG's are hiring from within. How do I know this? Because I work for one and that's what management said. 13 laterals will need OIG experience (at least for my agency). The proverbial "From the horse's mouth."
      Last edited by AGInvestigator; 06-29-2021, 05:18 PM.

• AGInvestigator
      AGInvestigator commented
      Editing a comment
      Winter_Patriot There is talk at my OIG about having some entry-level 7/9 announcements that will be open to the public and status candidates.

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, thanks for the info. Would you mind letting us know if the general vacancy announcement does end up happening? I'm in the excepted service now but not sure if that's the right type of status. I'm always missing out on these competitive service only announcements.

I'm actually excited to apply for this position as my job is all admin work with law enforcement sprinkled in. Thank you for your insight, it is hard to get info about these smaller agency OIG's Do you think reaching out to an ASAC or SAC would be a good idea in order to show your interest?

Comment

I applied for the announcement that was open to federal employees. The Dept. of Ed. and the recent HUD 1811 both seem to be a good fit with my academic and professional background. It will be interesting to see if anything happens with either of these agencies.

Comment

Anyone on here currently with ED OIG?

Comment

I'm going to call this AGInvestigator's guide to getting/lateralling to an OIG gig. You can apply this to ED-OIG or any other OIG.

1) Get a real opinion from a line agent. Metrics, case acceptance, frequency of case reviews, interaction with management in DC, training opportunities, etc. Do not rely on the Q&A with the ASAC or the SAC.

2) The Semi-Annual reports are your friend. Read at least 5 years worth of these reports. This will give you a good idea on what type of cases the agency focuses on, how many complaints are opened up, arrests, convictions, seizures, etc. These are your main study guides for the interview.

3) If you are a current 1811 and you are trying to lateral over as a 13, you need to ask if 13 laterals have to adhere to the same metrics as 13s who have been there for years. Let me be more precise, Let's say I got hired at XYZ OIG as a 7. After 3 years I am a 12 and my office hires a lateral from (insert USSS, ATF, HSI, DSS). Some OIGs will expect the 13 lateral to work more complex cases, do more briefings, and have more collateral duties. Holding a new 13 lateral to the same standards as a 13 who has worked his career with XYZ OIG is a huge disservice to the lateral agent. This is part of the reason why we are losing a lot of new laterals.

4) This should be a given, but during the interview don't say the reason you want to work for the OIG is because you "hate protection" or "want to get closer to family." Sure, those could be reasons, but you really need to explain why you want to work contract fraud or scientific integrity cases.

That's all I got for now, but I might update later.
          Last edited by AGInvestigator; 06-30-2021, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• CoastalCop1811
            CoastalCop1811 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good info. I would definitely talk to a line agent before accepting and leaving.

• Shadowtrain
            Shadowtrain commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 to everything in here.

The consolidated Office of Inspector General (OIG) page is now live. It is truly difficult to find content about the OIGs, so any content links would be very much appreciated.

https://www.specialagents.org/oig

-Special Agents Blog

Comment

Well got an email yesterday saying we should find out in two weeks or so if we are to be rated qualified or not. Very surprised they reached out before even being considered qualified.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4433 users online. 304 members and 4129 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X