300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA OIG Hiring Process

Anyone have any updated insight on the VA OIG hiring process? I recently did an interview and submitted a writing sample, but unclear on the next steps or how long I should wait to follow-up. Any insight is appreciated.

Anyone get referred to the recent announcements as well?

Comment

• FightinKnight51
      FightinKnight51 commented
      Editing a comment
      "Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've been referred for almost every one I've applied to, from EPA to VA, but haven't made it past that part." Were you referred for the EPA's recent criminal investigator posting that closed on 7/26?

Crickets on my end… This goes for Orlando & Bay Pines vacancy for the public and recent graduates.

Bachelor’s in Accounting and 1 year Big4 risk consulting experience.

Comment

• Yak
      Yak commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've been referred for almost every one I've applied to, from EPA to VA, but haven't made it past that part.

• Lfreezy
      Lfreezy commented
      Editing a comment
      Just got the not referred email due to others that need to be considered first. Vets, transition, etc.

• Big4to1811
      Big4to1811 commented
      Editing a comment
      Still haven’t heard back, haha.

I can see my application not being referred. No Veteran Preference and only one vacancy per job announcement.

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      Same. Anyone referred who isn’t an 1811 or doesn’t have vet preference?

I was referred to the VA OIG position from the recent announcement for Orlando, FL.

Comment

Interesting. I was referred to Orlando, but not to Bay Pines.

Comment

I definitely recommend VA-OIG if you are able to get on board. Orlando and Bay Pines are both good locations. VA-OIG is unique among OIGs in that they don't just investigate fraud, they investigate any major felony committed against/involving VA operations or programs (i.e. homicide, assault, drugs, theft, etc.). Granted, the majority of cases worked will be fraud related but on the bright side the fraud varies from healthcare fraud, procurement fraud, education fraud, and disability compensation fraud. Either way, hard to find another OIG that has such a broad mission and array of investigations.

Comment

• Yak
          Yak commented
          Editing a comment
          What is the general age population of agents like, are they mostly comprised of older 1811's from other agencies who now want a slower paced lifestyle, or is it a mix of younger and older agents? Are the younger ones usually satisfied with the job or do they tend to start looking at HSI, DEA, USSS, ATF after a while due to the slower pace of OIG gigs? I think we all know OIG gigs are a but slower paced than agencies like FBI and HSI, I'm just curious if those who haven't transferred from other agencies and are younger are still generally satisfied or if they tend to start looking to move elsewhere.

• monster90
          monster90 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good question Yak, I was actually going to post a comment about that. From what I saw, the young/new agents used it as a way to get in as an 1811. Not all of them left for a three letter agency but most were looking/considering it. Most agents who stick around are seasoned agents. A lot come from SS and are older. Hope that gives you an idea.

Also wanted to say I agree with Ruffin that it depends a lot on your supervisor. This topic was discussed in another post about OIGs vs large agencies. With an OIG, VA for example, you’ll most likely have the same supervisor for a majority of your career. If you have a crappy boss, it sucks. Whereas with a larger agency they switch about every three years.

Last point I wanted to address was the duty calls. I’m comparison to a large agency, Ruffin is correct, you rarely get called out. However, I’d have to disagree that 99% of your calls can be handled the next day or Monday following the weekend. A majority of your calls are threats, and much be handled at that moment, even if it’s Friday night.

Hope this helps anyone interested in the agency.

• Kermitt Ruffin
          Kermitt Ruffin commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably should have provided a little bit more context with regards to the threat calls. “Called out” to me means getting a call after hours and within 10 minutes later you are dressed, out the door, and in the g ride responding immediately to the facility or incident. The overwhelming majority of threat calls can be handled appropriately within say an hour or so and can all be done from home, unless of course the threat is deemed to be imminent and credible (majority aren’t). The follow up reports and such can almost certainly be handled the next day.

Didn’t want my last post to come off as if all threats are just swept under the rug and handled during next business hours. Obviously all appropriate notifications, records checks, and health/welfare checks (almost always done by local PD/SO) will be completed upon receiving a threat, if not done already by the reporting agency/party.

To sum it all up, the majority of our threat calls require maybe an hour of work from home and rarely ever require an immediate in person response from the duty agent.

• Kermitt Ruffin
          Kermitt Ruffin commented
          Editing a comment
          To echo monster, it’s really a mix when it comes to age of agents and turnover. Some Field Offices prefer hiring more seasoned 1811’s from other agencies and rarely hire brand new young agents. On the other hand, other FOs prefer the opposite and like to hire young agents with no prior 1811 experience (yes, this does happen and probably more frequently than people think). Personally, I have not seen much turnover and most agents stick around for several years, if not until retirement.

Not referred. Never have been to VA OIGs actually. Law degree, seven years of trial experience, two of those with fraud cases. Currently partway into my CFE exam. Not sure what else I can possibly do.

Comment

• AGInvestigator
          AGInvestigator commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm actually very surprised you didn't get referred. VA OIG's Deputy for Investigations is the only Deputy IG for investigations that I have seen with no 1811 experience. His experience was as a federal prosecutor.

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe the lack of veteran preference? My non referral notice suggested that I was second in line behind veterans.

• Anthropologist
          Anthropologist commented
          Editing a comment
          Winter_Patriot

Now that's just ridiculous. Your qualifications for an OIG position are arguably better than mine, or at least much more relevant to the responsibilities that would be specific to an OIG 1811.

I just got the referral to Bay Pines for 21-VAOIG-317, but not for 21-VAOIG-318-P.

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll send you a PM.

**edit see above**

Comment

Originally posted by Blueman143 View Post
          Anyone have any updated insight on the VA OIG hiring process? I recently did an interview and submitted a writing sample, but unclear on the next steps or how long I should wait to follow-up. Any insight is appreciated.
          Can you give any insight into the writing sample? Was it scenario based, like other 1811 positions or more of a write about current events, etc.

Comment

To protect the integrity of the process I won’t go into much detail, but it was pretty straight forward. Nothing you’ll need to analyze but rather give a well-written example of a situation and answer all the wickets they specify. Sorry if this is too vague, but hope it helps. Also, every office might be different, so there’s that too lol. Still haven’t heard a word and it’s been some time; the RAC notified me to sit tight as the process is with HR.. lmao don’t know how to read that but it is what it is. Did you get an interview? Best of luck!

Comment

Anyone in the 21-VAOIG-401-MP process?

Applied for the GS14 grade and finally received the notice of referral.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5118 users online. 266 members and 4852 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X