Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobilized Reservist and USMS/Fed Hiring Process

Good Evening All,
    I'm in the BI portion of the USMS process and medical for 2 others. USMS is my dream job, but I'm also a reservist and it looks like I may be getting mobilized OCONUS for an extended period of time (more than 8 months). How to I keep all the gods happy? I should be done with my BI in the near-ish future but I'm worried that once they hear I'm mobilizing they'll drop me from the process or make me start over....its been 2.5 yrs to get to this point. Anyone have any experience with this kind of situation?

Thanks!

So ask yourself: Why should they hold a position open for a year?

Comment

USERRA does protect your rights...but you need to be up front with the USMS recruiter.

https://www.esgr.mil/USERRA/What-is-USERRA

It's much easier to gain protection once employed....but you are in the process and you might have some recourse.

"USERRA is a Federal law intended to ensure that persons who serve or have served in the Armed Forces, Reserve, National Guard, or other uniformed Services: (1) are not disadvantaged in their civilian careers because of their service; (2) are promptly reemployed in their civilian jobs upon their return from duty; and (3) are not discriminated against in employment based on past, present, or future military service. The law is intended to encourage non-career uniformed service so the United States can enjoy the protection of those Services, staffed by qualified people, while maintaining a balance with the needs of private and public employers who also depend on these same individuals."

Worth reaching out and asking the questions about the USERRA...

ESGR’s Customer Service Center is available to answer USERRA questions or refer cases to a trained Ombudsman. Contact the Customer Service Center Monday through Friday (except Federal holidays) from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (ET):
      Last edited by Kraut0783; 06-09-2021, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Indians56 this might be a question for HRD with the Marshals or any other agency you are applying with. I know people have put their applications on pause with different agencies and picked them back up when they came off orders.

Comment

All you can do is reach out to HR and explain your situation. I can tell you that even though it's law, some of the agencies do not care you are a reservist and don't care about your commitments. You're an applicant, and not an employee for the agency. If you were an employee already, then yes they are obligated to abide by USERRA. I've seen people on here who have cleared everything, and were able to postpone their academy date because of orders, but haven't seen people afforded the opportunity to postpone other parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Indians56 View Post
            Good Evening All,
            I'm in the BI portion of the USMS process and medical for 2 others. USMS is my dream job, but I'm also a reservist and it looks like I may be getting mobilized OCONUS for an extended period of time (more than 8 months). How to I keep all the gods happy? I should be done with my BI in the near-ish future but I'm worried that once they hear I'm mobilizing they'll drop me from the process or make me start over....its been 2.5 yrs to get to this point. Anyone have any experience with this kind of situation?

Thanks!
            It's been a few years, but my understanding is you don't gain any protections until you are an actual employee.

USMS's HR dept would be the ones to ask.

You aren't the first applicant to be deployed in the middle of a hiring cycle.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I’d go IRR if you could if you’re not locked into the deployment already, If you go forward in country best you can do is have your admin write up a statement of service with the dates and nature of your discharge and forward it to USMS HR but I doubt it will hold much water.

Comment

Like everyone said, you need to contact USMS HRD, probably the law enforcement staffing email. IMHO the USMS are reserve friendly and will most likely work with you.

Comment

You aren't protected until hired.

Comment

You may not even get a basic accommodation for being mobilized or having annual training while in the hiring process. There is zero protection until you have thr job. One reason I left the Guard when I became serious about the fed job search.

I was dealing with wildfires in the summer of 2019. I asked to do my DC US Attorney interview remotely or later in the summer. I had just done the whole interview process a few months before and wasn't selected. Seond time around, HR said they were not able to let me reschedule my interview or do it virtually.

Comment

Also may not apply until off probation.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                        Winter_Patriot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And even when USERRA applies, there are plenty of ways for an employer to circumvent it. They can fire you for being a poor fit or because they don't like the color of your tie. It's very difficult to prove that they fired someone due to their reserve commitments/status. I always encourage people to go active duty if they want the military experience. Juggling a civilian career with the reserves, you are going to have to sacrifice one.

True, I only urged the OP to check with USMS HR, there is a lot of pro-veteran spirit in Fed land right now.

I am on my 32nd year of law enforcement and retired from the USAR 6 years ago...luckily only had minor issues with employers during that time and incredible support to me and my family during deployments.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                        Winter_Patriot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        USMS has some flexibility built into their hiring system. I recall HRD at one point giving me the option to reschedule something (maybe an interview) if I was on reserve orders.

Kraut,

I had USERRA intervene for me coming off AD. My then Sheriff still talks about almost wearing orange…bwahahahaha.

My Reserve commitment DID cost me a promotion and no return to the Dick bureau.

Comment

You aren't afforded any protection until hired. I have an amigo who received a firm final offer from a 3 letter agency, and he had deployment orders that started pretty shortly after he would have EOD'd.

He told them and they said they would 'hold' his spot, to which I said "sure okay". So he did not accept the offer.

I told him he was a fool for not accepting, EODing, and then notifying them of orders. Now there's little (read: no) guarantee he will have an offer when he gets back. It may seem like a slimy thing to do, EOD then notify, but you gotta look out for you. So if you can get an offer and EOD beforehand, I would.

Side note, are you at a PSU as a reservist?
                        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4469 users online. 303 members and 4166 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X