Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any insight into what locations have started interviews? Based on the above post, it appears decisions are already being made.

Hoping there is still a chance for an interview.

Comment

• Piko
      Piko commented
      Editing a comment
      To protect the identity of the new hire I'll only say it was East of the Mississippi River. Don't get discouraged. No rhyme or reason as to how fast or slow they call applicants for interviews. This particular one was just filled quicker than most due to pending need for a body at an understaffed field office.

I got a voicemail about an interview.

Edit -- thanks to everyone who has offered input about HHS OIG and the hiring process. I've got some homework to do.
    Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 08-17-2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• Shadowtrain
      Shadowtrain commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! Good luck!

• ronald_mcdonald
      ronald_mcdonald commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck!

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, will report back next week hopefully. I’m excited. I’ve never landed an interview and was getting ready to go to another agency in order to build my resume for OIG. It would be great to go directly to HHS.

• Anthropologist
      Anthropologist commented
      Editing a comment
      Best of luck!

Does anyone know how long after the interview would we know if we were selected or not?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      Within a few days, based on other examples for this announcement and the last one. I was told that a decision would be made within a week. I am really hoping I make the cut. This is my dream job in the place want to live.

No call for an interview yet after my referral. I hope the field office i selected is still sending invitations for interviews.

Comment

No call for an interview either :/ I received the referral email on August 4th, still hoping for good news.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_11 View Post
        Does anyone know how long after the interview would we know if we were selected or not?
        When I interviewed with them years ago, I was also told I'd hear something within a week. When I didn't hear after a week, I followed up with the assistant who scheduled my interview and she also never followed up with me. I didn't find out I wasn't selected until months later when my usajobs account finally notified me. I was disappointed the way it was handled, but it is what it is. I hope you all receive better results and responses than I did. Best of luck.

Comment

• Shadowtrain
          Shadowtrain commented
          Editing a comment
          Many years ago, when I interviewed for the first time - I heard something from the ASAC the following week.

Don’t expect an interview unless you speak a secondary language and or have fraud/abuse Medicare/Medicaid background. I was given the let down nicely inquiring on getting at least the chance to interview. Sorry guys but at least for this newest announcement that’s who they are looking for.

Comment

• Yak
          Yak commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a feeling they are leaning more towards fraud experience. I'm fluent in two foreign languages, one being Arabic, and have two graduate degrees and haven't received any communication about an interview, just a referral.

• Sgt0844
          Sgt0844 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is the first time I actually received a referral so that’s farthest I’ve ever got with any OIG process.

I speak a secondary language and I have not received any interview notices yet.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          Being a current fed (non-LEO) and having either an advanced degree or clearance probably will help.
          Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 09-07-2021, 01:51 PM.

• lunatico86
          lunatico86 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I am a LEO but not a fed and no masters.

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep us updated.
          Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 09-07-2021, 01:36 PM.

• Shadowtrain
          Shadowtrain commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish there was a definitive way to everything, but there's a lot of behind the scenes magic that doesn't make sense. I presume each office has a particular flavor of what they are looking for those to be selected for interviews. Some places love MCFU experience, some like language skills, computer skills, etc. But at the end of the day, the only person that really knows is the hiring manager.

Don't get discouraged if you don't make it to the next step. Continue to work on yourself and apply to future announcements if HHS-OIG is your thing and apply to other agencies/positions that interest you.

It also doesn't hurt to network with current agents of the various places to get his/her perspective. Networking gets you pretty far in this line of work and sometimes it's a who you know game.

Good luck!

Don’t shoot the messenger just repeating what I was told. Trust me I was disappointed but I get it. I have a bachelors, military experience, 15 years of combined local and fed LEO experience, background cleared for ts with another agency pending final offer and current secret clearance. Just keep applying that’s all I can say. Maybe a certain announcement or location is looking for something other than prior fraud/waste experience. Good luck to all

Comment

I definitely would not lose a wink of sleep if I wasn’t offered this job! I know it’s hard to take in when you want a job but if this one didn’t come though, they did you a favor!

Comment

• lunatico86
            lunatico86 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello, and why do you say they would do is a favor?

Piko Tried to DM you but It wont let me, I subscribed so hopefully that helps. I had a few questions, if you dont mind. Thanks!

Comment

A thing about background clearances. The agency doesn't care whether an applicant already has a background clearance or not. You'll still have to be adjudicated favorably on a background clearance for the HHS OIG. It will speed up the process of the background if you already have a clearance but does not mean a background will just transfer over and you're good to go. Hiring decisions do not factor in whether you have that clearance already. Management hires knowing you'll have to be adjudicated favorably with us.

A possible exception would be if you already have a background clearance under the same agency umbrella. For instance, FDA OCI and HHS OIG both fall under the umbrella of the same mothership, HHS. I've seen our guys who jump to FDA OCI have little delay with backgrounds, if any.

Expect a background with HHS OIG to take at least a year to adjudicate. Yes, a year, if not more. Now that DoD is involved in completing them, it may run smoother than the times when OPM contractors did them. We had a SA that took 2 years to get a favorable adjudication based on the OPM clearance backlog from a few years ago. That should not be the case any longer but still expect at least 1 year. You'll still get hired, go to FLETC, etc but will not be fully adjudicated for quit some time. Just a heads up.

Comment

Seeing as it seems interviews have started I figured I'd lend give some advice and some pros and cons:

- What Piko has said has been spot on for the most part.
              - My background actually did transfer. It only took 4 months from my start date to get adjudicated fully. Everyone is different though. I was probably just lucky
              - The agency is great place to work, and has great flexibility and work life balance
              - Workload and types of cases is heavily dependent on the region you work in. Some regions work more criminal and some more civil. I'd be familiar going into your interview what cases the region has worked.
              - Supervisors make all the difference. If you have a good supervisor your life will be easy. If you have a bad supervisor your life will be rough (not different from any other agency)
              - If you're looking to kick in doors every day this isn't the agency for you. You'll get enough to get your adrenaline flowing, but you'll also be knee deep in data and writing reports most of the time.
              - HHS probably has one of the (if not the most) steepest learning curve if you do not have a background in healthcare fraud. Someone told me my first day "Good luck. It'll be five years before you understand most of this stuff" ...they weren't wrong.
              - HHS is well respected by most USAOs and federal partners (DEA, FBI, etc). You'll be looked at to provide expert knowledge in the field of healthcare fraud and be expected to carry a lot of the case load.
              - A lot of cases aren't quick hits. Most take months and years to resolve.
              - There's a lot of top heavy agents (GS-13s) within the agency. So if you get hired latch on to a lot of them for knowledge.
              - This is probably the most important thing (but will probably fall on deaf ears) don't take the position just to become an 1811 or just to get "home". You really have to want and enjoy working healthcare fraud to do this job and have to understand it's not fast paced and high speed tactically. The interviewers are pretty good at weeding out people who just want the job to get their 1811 ticket.

That's it for now. I'll try and post more if I think of anything

Comment

Sorry this is an off topic post in regards to the past comments. However, what are the physical fitness requirements for this position? Also, if this hasnt been answered in a prior post.....how long is the hiring process from the interview since this is a COVID direct hire? I know one on here was hired very very quickly, but is this something we can see from the majority of the field offices? Any guidance would be helpful, thanks!

Comment

You're not off topic, this is a thread about HHS OIG hiring. No physical requirement test prior to FLETC, just pass medical evaluation. We are like all other OIGs, must pass initial medical evaluation, go to FLETC, and pass PEB. I think DCIS, which is DoD OIG, may be an exception as they require a physical assessment test prior to FLETC but we do not.

Just hired a new SA who was offered the job one (1) week after interview. Could have been quicker but hiring is approved at regional level and HQ level so there is some delay built in. Even if this wasn't COVID direct hire, our OIG usually calls applicants within the week, and sometimes days, to tell them they got the job.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                    Winter_Patriot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If they call references after an interview, does that typically mean you’ll get a tentative offer?

How long does the medical clearance usually take?

Thanks for all your info about the hiring process.

• VT2k15
                    VT2k15 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the information. When you say pass the PEB, is there a certain percentage on each assessment that we have to have? My current agency requires 40% percentile or above for the PEB in each assessment. I know some agencies (like OSI) just require you to participate and complete the PEB and expect improvement on your final testing before graduating FLETC. Other than that thank you for the much needed info.

• HiFlyR
                    HiFlyR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You just have to complete the PEB at FLETC. There are no specific requirements. I know guys that walked the mile and a half (also don’t be that person. Put in effort. It’ll get back to your coworkers if you do that.). Just be in decent shape. It helps the whole FLETC process overall. CITP is not too challenging but just being in decent shape makes it easier.

Medical Clearance. Mine was cleared probably within a week. Depends on how backed up they are and if you have any issues (hearing, sight, high BP, etc) where you need a note or explanation. The doc I had told me I would be cleared before I left the appointment. Probably took a week for the admin stuff to process.

As for checking references. Each region does things differently so I couldn’t tell you one way or the other.

• Winter_Patriot
                    Winter_Patriot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I appreciate the reply. I interviewed on Monday.
                    Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 09-07-2021, 01:36 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3633 users online. 217 members and 3416 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X