300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unfair DQ'd

Sad to say I reach the end of this roller coaster ride with my application with LAX PD. I was Dq'd for medical reason. I had a history of herniated disc associated with leg pain. That was 1 year before I processed my application in DEC 06. I was cleared by my Neuro Surgeon that there is no more treatment needed for me coz' I feel better now, and that was noted in my med-history report. I even asked the attending doctor at the medical services if she wants me to go and see my Neuro surgeon to do some more testing. I asked her that on my last visit to the med. services, she couldn't even say yes or no, and she sounds like irritated when I asked her that, and wouldnt want talk to me. She forwarded my papers to the medical director and they decided that I am Dq'd without considering the note from my doctor that I am ok and no more treatment needed.
    Do you guys think this is fair? I know there is one here in the forum that even had a spinal disc fusion and was able to get in the academy and finish it.

Tough break, but don't quit now. If someone you know got on with a spinal fusion, then there's still hope for you.

Good luck
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Dq

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Sad to say I reach the end of this roller coaster ride with my application with LAX PD. I was Dq'd for medical reason. I had a history of herniated disc associated with leg pain. That was 1 year before I processed my application in DEC 06. I was cleared by my Neuro Surgeon that there is no more treatment needed for me coz' I feel better now, and that was noted in my med-history report. I even asked the attending doctor at the medical services if she wants me to go and see my Neuro surgeon to do some more testing. I asked her that on my last visit to the med. services, she couldn't even say yes or no, and she sounds like irritated when I asked her that, and wouldnt want talk to me. She forwarded my papers to the medical director and they decided that I am Dq'd without considering the note from my doctor that I am ok and no more treatment needed.
      Do you guys think this is fair? I know there is one here in the forum that even had a spinal disc fusion and was able to get in the academy and finish it.
      Sounds like you need to go the appeal route. Once again, I'm hoping that either LA Backgrounds or L-1 will notice your post. Essentially, there's a time limit involved in filing an appeal, and it's paramount that you file it within the prescribed time. Also consider retaining an Attorney who does Civil Service appeals. Yah, (and I mean this,) it's that important. Good luck to you.

Comment

[QUOTE=PhilipCal;897958]Sounds like you need to go the appeal route. Once again, I'm hoping that either LA Backgrounds or L-1 will notice your post. QUOTE]
        Hey M16 you can get ahold of LA Backgrounds @ http://policebackground.net/
        He is the moderator of this forum and usually replies within hours.
        The site is a wealth of information for the LAPD, Port, GS & Airport.
        Good Luck
        My LAPD Process
        PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
        PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
        Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
        Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
        Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
        Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
        Backgrounds - In Progress
        Oral Psych - TBD
        Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

M16,

Medical DQs are sometimes hard to understand because most people think that if they bring a note from their doctor, everything will magically be alright. That's not the case. Most agencies have very specific medical standards that must be met by all applicants. Fail to meet all of those standards (i.e., have just one condition that meets the criteria for DQ) and you are down the tubes with that agency.

For example, some agencies may say that disk herniations exceeding a certain size are an automatic DQ. Others may say that certain back injuries within the past three years are an automatic DQ. Yet, others may say that a back injury resulting in three months of activity limitation is an automatic DQ. With this in mind, bringing a doctor's note saying you are ok to be a cop is meaningless when your medical records document that you possess a condition that meets the DQ criteria for that agency.

There are usually three grounds for a medical appeal. The first is that you don't possess the disqualifying condition the department says you have, This one is simple. Either your medical records document that you have the condition, or they don't. The second ground is that the physical standard your failed to meet does not have a valid relationship to the job. This is hard to prove because most agencies have gone to great lengths to validate their physical requirements in keeping with EEO and ADA laws. The final criteria is that the DQ rules were applied to you in an arbitrary and discriminatory manner. (i.e., people with the same or worse condition have been hired by that agency while you were rejected). This is tricky because in order to defend itself, the agency may claim that these people slipped through the cracks by accident and then fire them as being physically unfit, all based on your "complaint" that they are physically unable to do the job.

If you want to appeal, you really need to use an attorney who is well versed in civil service law.

To get a feel for back injury DQ criteria, take a look at http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Musculo.pdf
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I know the feeling. I was diagnosed with poor color vision for the L.A.S.D. and even though I took, and passed with no axis of confusion, the same Farnsworth Test at another facility, they now want me to take the FM-100 in Fullerton to determine which D-15 test is accurate.

While the FM-100 isn't too expensive ($95) the mere fact I have to drive to Fullerton is enough for me to seek another route in my appeal. I'll let you know how my appointment goes.
            LASD Process:

1. Application-done and over
            2. Written-passed
            3. Oral Interview-passed
            4. Polygraph-passed
            5. Background-passed
            6. Ride along-done and over
            7. Jail Tour-done and over
            8. Psych-passed
            9. Medical-in appeals of Farnsworth still

Comment

thanks guys for your replies... but they are just too blind to see... I offered to have MRI done again but she (doctor) refused to listen to me. instead DQ letter was mailed out 1 week after.
              I guess its no longer worth making an appeal. it feels like waste of time and money. plus another frustration if they won't consider it.
              maybe i should try another city...i could have shared my knowlede in CI

BTW. i passed all requirements except this last one.... grrrrrr!
              Last edited by M16; 06-12-2007, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Dq

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                thanks guys for your replies... but they are just too blind to see... I offered to have MRI done again but she (doctor) refused to listen to me. instead DQ letter was mailed out 1 week after.
                I guess its no longer worth making an appeal. it feels like waste of time and money. plus another frustration if they won't consider it.
                maybe i should try another city...i could have shared my knowlede in CI

BTW. i passed all requirements except this last one.... grrrrrr!
                I'm going to suggest that you apply at other agencies. Additionally, I suggest that you fully research all of their medical/physical requirements. When you have done that, re-read L-1's reply. All of this is not to sound sarcastic. If you see that you're likely to DQ because of your condition, why waste your time? One good thing about Southern California is the large amount of departments there. I could be wrong, but with the number of departments you have to choose from, you might just have a shot. You may end up working for an agency, not your first choice, but as an Officer in any case.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4559 users online. 301 members and 4258 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X