300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume / KSA

wonderin' if anyone has ever used a professional resume writing service?
    My Timeline:
    1-15-07 Applied
    1-15-07 Recieved COE
    1-16-07 Background Packet
    2-09-07 Sent Fingerprint Cards
    2-27-07 Panel Interview / Drug Screen
    3-28-07 Mental Health Certification
    5-09-07 Completed Medical
    6-06-07 PTA
    6-08-07 "703" Call Requesting Transcripts
    I'M DONE!
    waiting...

For a gov't resume, it's not really necessary. The resume is a down-and-dirty description of your experience, albeit with all the federal requirements thrown in (vet status, etc.). Traditional resume rules like putting it on a certain kind of bond paper are unnecessary and will be ignored by HR, anyway.

For KSA's, those are supposed to be self-written statements where you articulate how your experience applies to the specific question/the job. Not sure I would want anyone else writing those for me; there's a lot they will probably miss.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
      For a gov't resume, it's not really necessary. The resume is a down-and-dirty description of your experience, albeit with all the federal requirements thrown in (vet status, etc.). Traditional resume rules like putting it on a certain kind of bond paper are unnecessary and will be ignored by HR, anyway.

For KSA's, those are supposed to be self-written statements where you articulate how your experience applies to the specific question/the job. Not sure I would want anyone else writing those for me; there's a lot they will probably miss.
      Couldn't have said it better!
      sigpic

Comment

For KSAs, I would suggest doing them yourself so you know what are in them. The reason being is if the preparer enhances what you do in a manner that it might look like you are lying to the people reviewing them. Not good.

Though, I would have others review them for spelling and grammar so as to find stuff you might have missed.

Comment

Though, I would have others review them for spelling and grammar so as to find stuff you might have missed.
          Good point. After you look at the same KSA's you've been working on for about 4 hours, you start to miss stuff you probably wouldn't have, otherwise, so extra eyesd are always handy.
          "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Greenline is hit the nail on the head!

I am a Technical Recruiter (I read resumes all day) for DOD Contracts and my wife had to go through the pain of KSA's USAJOBS.gov everything.

One thing that you have to realize is that when USAJOBS.gov receives a resume submission they have to look at every resume in the order that it was received to maintain OFCIP (something like that) compliant.

The resume database and search skills that are being used are based off of a product called Resumx (spelled something like that). This product searches the resume's for keywords (ex. investigations, etc. etc..) Those keywords are taken from the job description. (read the job description carefully) When you are developing a resume you need to ensure that you are using those keywords as much as possible (with out sounding stupid). They will also search keywords in your application package to each individual agency. (KSA's)

From this point they take all of the information from your resume and KSA's and create a score. To be in the 90's in your notice of results is a good thing 100 being the highest.

Fact of life is you could currently be in the position you are applying for and submit a poorly written application with no keywords in the resume or KSA's and you will not even be considered a viable candidate. You will recieve an e-mail that says you are not qualified for the position or something along those lines.
            Last edited by keyz5542001; 01-19-2010, 02:06 PM.
            Information Session: May 2009
            Interview: Jun 2009
            Medical Cleared: Dec 2009
            BI Cleared: Jan 2010
            Fit: Passed: Jan 2010/Jun 2010
            FLETC: 07/29/2010

"I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon."

President Bush, Sept. 14, 2001, addressing police, firefighters and rescue workers at Ground Zero.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4318 users online. 279 members and 4039 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X