X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildestkabs
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by RCW
    Why don't I just trump you right now... I was not born in the US. I am a police officer in the US. I have some experience in what you are attempting to articulate. And my experience, and knowledge of arrest powers indicate that you need to do some more research.
    Trust me, it will take you more than a vague post to trump me. Sorry.

So you were not born in the US but you are a police officer in the US - translates to?

I was not attempting to "articulate" anything. I was merely stating the facts. Be specific if you wish to debate.

Comment

• spookysco
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2006

I was surprised but I guess after doing a little research you DO NOT have to be a citizen in CO.

Taken from the Attorney General's web site (do a search for Colorado POST in Google)

From the FAQ page...

"Does an individual have to be a U.S. citizen to be certified in Colorado?

No. In previous years U.S. citizenship was a certification requirement, but not any longer. However, individual agencies may have local or county regulations that prohibit them from hiring someone who does not have U.S. citizenship."

Comment

• pc2761
        difference maker
        • Mar 2007

Law enforcement boils down to who can do the job best. If it is a citizen, so be it, if it is an LPR, so be it. But I don't think you share that belief. "Only a citizen can arrest another citizen" IMO, is a poor mentality. I see it as an officer of the law who will arrest someone who violates the law. Besides, an LPR HAS VIRTUALLY the same employment rights that a citizen does, so why can that not be in law enforcement? If an LPR can be the CEO of a company, then why not a police officer?

Now, I *CAN* understand if *FEDERAL AGENCIES* might not want to hire LPRs till they have naturalized. But this is because we are talking about a whole different level of law enforcement, which does entail some security risks, like handling confidential data or files, or intelligence information, which, understandably, people would not want somebody other than a citizen to handle. Like I said, that part is understandable.

But when it comes down to traditional police work, then it merely boils down to who can be a good officer. There are quite a few states which don't have a citizenship requirement and I am sure their thought process would have been a little more broadminded than yours of "don't enforce the house rules against me even if I wrote them and then broke them." Wow!!

Hey don't generalize. Don't forget that this country was built by immigrants. Thankfully, most Americans (that I know at least), don't have the negative attitude that you seem to have. All that they care for is that people who come to this country from other countries contribute positively towards the society and help this country grow.

Besides if an LPR can dedicatedly follow all the laws, then why can he not enforce them?

By the way, the army also accepts LPRs (I think the other services do as well). Actually, there are quite a few of them who are deployed and are fighting for this country right now. You have a problem with that as well?

Peace.[/QUOTE]

First that whole "LPR'S have VIRTUALLY the same employment rights", interesting choice of words. virtually= sort of, kinda, not really as much but almost.

secondly that whole "I can understand why fed agencies wouldnt hire LPR" because of sensitive information issues. Get a clue. are you going to sit here and tell us that someone who is a regular "beat" officer doesnt come across sensitive information, high profile individuals? The information might not be as n depth as it would be if handled by the FBI, but its important information, why do you think its so secured? Why do you think those triple III's and ncic hits are monitored by the FBI? It's not like they dont have enough already on their plate, and we're talking federal time if this access is mishandled. Why would they go through all of this? BECAUSE IT IS A SECURITY RISK, AND THEY ARE CONFIDENTIAL FILES.
        Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

• pc2761
          difference maker
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pc2761
          Law enforcement boils down to who can do the job best. If it is a citizen, so be it, if it is an LPR, so be it. But I don't think you share that belief. "Only a citizen can arrest another citizen" IMO, is a poor mentality. I see it as an officer of the law who will arrest someone who violates the law. Besides, an LPR HAS VIRTUALLY the same employment rights that a citizen does, so why can that not be in law enforcement? If an LPR can be the CEO of a company, then why not a police officer?

Now, I *CAN* understand if *FEDERAL AGENCIES* might not want to hire LPRs till they have naturalized. But this is because we are talking about a whole different level of law enforcement, which does entail some security risks, like handling confidential data or files, or intelligence information, which, understandably, people would not want somebody other than a citizen to handle. Like I said, that part is understandable.

But when it comes down to traditional police work, then it merely boils down to who can be a good officer. There are quite a few states which don't have a citizenship requirement and I am sure their thought process would have been a little more broadminded than yours of "don't enforce the house rules against me even if I wrote them and then broke them." Wow!!

Hey don't generalize. Don't forget that this country was built by immigrants. Thankfully, most Americans (that I know at least), don't have the negative attitude that you seem to have. All that they care for is that people who come to this country from other countries contribute positively towards the society and help this country grow.

Besides if an LPR can dedicatedly follow all the laws, then why can he not enforce them?

By the way, the army also accepts LPRs (I think the other services do as well). Actually, there are quite a few of them who are deployed and are fighting for this country right now. You have a problem with that as well?

Peace.

First that whole "LPR'S have VIRTUALLY the same employment rights", interesting choice of words. virtually= sort of, kinda, not really as much but almost.

secondly that whole "I can understand why fed agencies wouldnt hire LPR" because of sensitive information issues. Get a clue. are you going to sit here and tell us that someone who is a regular "beat" officer doesnt come across sensitive information, high profile individuals? The information might not be as n depth as it would be if handled by the FBI, but its important information, why do you think its so secured? Why do you think those triple III's and ncic hits are monitored by the FBI? It's not like they dont have enough already on their plate, and we're talking federal time if this access is mishandled. Why would they go through all of this? BECAUSE IT IS A SECURITY RISK, AND THEY ARE CONFIDENTIAL FILES.[/QUOTE]
          Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

• finfanfromcsu
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2006

I want to speak a little on the "lowering of standards."

To describe myself, I have a 46 inch waist and a 48 inch chest. I weigh around 240 pounds. Just so it is clear my Blood Pressure is 120/70 (I think) but my cholestrol is a LITTLE high (my doctor isn't concerned and I take NO medication)

I maxed the PT agility test. I did my 35 push ups (I can do well into the 50's my highest ever in two minutes was 73 but that was two years ago). I did my situps and finshed 15 seconds early. I ran 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes (I was second to finish in my heat) and all around passed easily.

While my waist isn't 50 inches like was mentioned previously in the post I am in excellent physical shape. Why shouldn't I be allowed in Law Enforcement. I can pass the agility test while candidates half my size (literally) were failing miserably.

It is not lowering the standard to let unfit people in, it is allowing people of all shapes and sizes to serve. I will admit that if you can not pass a basic agility test there are some problems but if you can pass that and pass the physical, by all means give the person a badge.

I am also prior military (military intel) and have a Bachelor's of Science degree in Psychology.

Comment

• Aco275RGR
              Forum Member
              • May 2007

I'm sorry, but if you want to be a police officer / Sheriff deputy, you're going to deal with some people who are strong, fast, or both. I'm not LEO yet, but when i am, i do not want some crapbag sucking for air while i chase down some bonehead next to me...

You guys should see the latest crop of LAPD officers. They're a damn joke, there is no way they would catch me if i ran, no way. It's a public safety issue, you cannot have physically incompetent officers on the street in my opinion.

I know that just because some guy doesn't have popeye forearms and broad shoulders doesn't mean he is out of shape, i've seen some freaks of nature, but that is a small, small group.

Comment

• wildestkabs
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by pc2761
                "I can understand why fed agencies wouldnt hire LPR" because of sensitive information issues. Get a clue. are you going to sit here and tell us that someone who is a regular "beat" officer doesnt come across sensitive information, high profile individuals? The information might not be as n depth as it would be if handled by the FBI, but its important information, why do you think its so secured? Why do you think those triple III's and ncic hits are monitored by the FBI? It's not like they dont have enough already on their plate, and we're talking federal time if this access is mishandled. Why would they go through all of this? BECAUSE IT IS A SECURITY RISK, AND THEY ARE CONFIDENTIAL FILES.
                Totally understand what you mean. However, integrity is in the mind of the individual. Whats that got to do with the status?

Also, when I meant security risks, I was talking more on the lines of national security and not just security. A citizenship requirement is understandable.

Anyway, I am done with this discussion as it is a meaningless one. I am in no position to change the rules and neither are you, so why waste each other's time?
                Last edited by wildestkabs; 06-21-2007, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• pc2761
                  difference maker
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                  I don't think people are saying you should not be in LE, you obviously passed the PT test w/ no problem and seem squared away. I think lowering standards of the PT test is a problem.

Example - 30 pushups to 15 pushups or 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. I am not saying if you can do 100 push-ups that make you a super cop but it gives a basic physical baseline to build from. You should be in shape before the academy not get in shape during.

In my USSS class there were a few recruits who were disasters and did not graduate because of PT, it's an officer safety issue. I also think agencies need to put more emphasis on staying shape, some guys from my class now put on 30 lbs in 2 years and don't even get me started on some Sgt's/LT's.
                  I'm sure im not alone however i've never understood why dpts use the 1.5 mile as a means of fitness for law enforcement. I've never seen a foot pursuit go 1.5 miles at at constant run. I would like to see them implement some type of sprint drills, for example 300meter sprint with a 10-15lb weight belt, involving fences, and other obstacles that one would encounter when in a chase

Comment

• bigj8550
                    Jolly Green Giant
                    • Aug 2006

Why is 1.5 miles in 15mins not enough? 1.5 miles in 15 mins is a 10 min mile pace. That is pretty standard for a endurance run. Now for shorter distanaces sprints are in order. Current ILEA exit standards are for the 300m sprint in 71 seconds or less. So how does 1.5 at 15mins show that a person is out of shape?

BTW last PT test I did was pass or fail I was exhausted and ready to go home. So was everyone else we all agreed just pass the test no racing so I finished next to last at 14:00 flat Last night I ran 1.5 miles in just a hair over 13
                    Last edited by bigj8550; 06-22-2007, 11:56 AM.
                    Originally posted by Smurfette_76
                    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
                    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
                    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

• Mikis
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2004

I believe the 1.5 mile test is pretty good because it measures your endurance for decent amount of time. If you can run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes, that means your keeping up a high level of intensity, consistantly, for 10 minutes. When your in a knock down, drag out fight, that equals to a lot.

Comment

• wildestkabs
                        Forum Member
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                        Dude, you gotta be kidding me. 1.5 miles in 15mins is HORRIBLE
                        Hey Up_On_Base, LAPD asks you to do the same in 10 min 20 sec, not on the road but on a treadmill with varying incline and speed.

I tried. Requires running between 7.5 - 8.5 miles per hour, right from the start.

Not easy at all.

Comment

• wildestkabs
                          Forum Member
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Mikis
                          I believe the 1.5 mile test is pretty good because it measures your endurance for decent amount of time. If you can run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes, that means your keeping up a high level of intensity, consistantly, for 10 minutes. When your in a knock down, drag out fight, that equals to a lot.
                          Absolutely spot on! I totally agree with you.

Comment

• pc2761
                            difference maker
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mikis

Why a 1.5 mile? If its about endurance why not make all recruits complete a scheduled marathon before academy graduation? Not knocking those who set the standards for testing, but running a 1.5 mile is different from a good 2-3 minute foot pursuit with a 20lb weight belt, more than likely running in boots, jumping a fence, and trying to maintain radio communication...numerous sprints involving these i feel is A. equal test of endurance B. more law enforcement related. i would also add that for most people running distance is more mental than physical.

Comment

• JSD73
                              Go on, touch it...
                              • Oct 2006

The 1.5 mile run, the sit and reach, the sit ups, all a waste of time in my book for a police officer.

You want a physical "agility" test...you do the 1/4 mile run at 2 minutes or under, you can do the dummy drag, a wall jump, a car push but I will be (you know what) if Im gonna be in a foot pursuit for a mile and a half. That's what radios are for, that's what cars and perimeters are for. That stuff doesn't prove anything to me and again I find it pretty worthless in judging a police officer. Put an additional 20lbs of gear on the fast runners and see just how fast they really are.
                              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

• saintsfan71
                                Forum Member
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by JSD73
                                The 1.5 mile run, the sit and reach, the sit ups, all a waste of time in my book for a police officer.

You want a physical "agility" test...you do the 1/4 mile run at 2 minutes or under, you can do the dummy drag, a wall jump, a car push but I will be (you know what) if Im gonna be in a foot pursuit for a mile and a half. That's what radios are for, that's what cars and perimeters are for. That stuff doesn't prove anything to me and again I find it pretty worthless in judging a police officer. Put an additional 20lbs of gear on the fast runners and see just how fast they really are.
                                I completely agree with you there...i will not be the youngest one there (im 36), but i am still fit for my age. the 15 years i spent in the army kept me in pretty good shape. The Arlington PD explained to us exactly what you said when doing our PA test. we would never chase a person 1.5 miles with all that gear... we had to do a 160lb dummy drag, a obstacle course that consisted of a 3, 5, and 6 foot wall - 15 foot drainage tunnel - 25 foot in and out (to simulate a crowd) - had to be completed in 30 seconds, shotgun carry up a 30 foot ladder, trigger pull, and the most difficult - a 1/4 mile run with flights of stairs in between within 2:10 (i think it was worse than running the 1.5 mile).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12182 users online. 75 members and 12107 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...