Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really agree with lowering the physical standards. Alot of other strict requirements need to go. But even if people are able to pass the initial test, there is still no guarantee that their waists won't expand and they won't stay in shape. Believe me, I have seen so many that have passed the physical and just ballooned up after graduating the academy. I take pride myself. I have joined a gym which I attend 3 times a week. Plus, my agency rewards us with 3 hours of comp time/ week just for working out. Nothing but good benefits for taking care of myself. I understand that when you're married and have a family that it is very hard to keep up your physical fitness. There is also the factor of the joke of a wage we get paid and having to work part-times to make ends meet. My main motivation for staying in shape is that THIS IS MY LIFE ON THE LINE. When it comes down to getting physical with a subject, I want to have all the advantages.
    ""Liberals are liberal until something happens to them or someone they love, then they want the rules to change"

Comment

Everyone thinks of the PT test in terms of "I may have to fight someone on the street and I need to be big and strong" etc....but the way I see it, it is more of a how bad do you want it thing. The problem with lowering PT standards isn't so much bad because it is going to let "not as in shape" guys/gals in but it is bad because it is allowing people that aren't willing to work their butt's off to acheive their goal. I don't believe that there is a PT test out there that is impossible if you just work towards it. You wanna be a cop? Well wake up every morning an hour early and go run. Seems to me this lowering of PT standards is a result of people getting lazier.

I see some people writing about how they are able to do 75 push ups in 5 seconds or something...and thats cool....but what does that say about your character? Are you just naturally strong? or Are you committed to hitting the gym every morning to acheive your goals? Cause the bottom line is more often than not you won't be in a foot pursuit or a physical resisiting.

Comment

Maybe "lowering the standards" isn't about an overall lack of fit people. Maybe all the fit people want to be fireman, make a ton of money, and work every fourth day and be loved by the public.

I've been through a few police processes, and having recently relocated I am in the market again. Just for kicks I went to a testing process for the local FD, and saw plenty of fit candidates for those spots. Police testing, different story. Also, what's the point of having entry standards if they aren't in force the whole time you're a cop? I was one of the very few I know who in eight years on the department got into better shape. Almost everyone else went downhill, and fast.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3188 users online. 183 members and 3005 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X