300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIA Police Officer

I came across this job announcement today: https://www.cia.gov/careers/jobs/pol...ctive-service/ I didn’t knew the CIA had its own police force, and from my understanding they are not 6c covered right? Do you guys think this gig could be a good stepping stone to get in with the federal government? And also I’m aware that the job is mostly static post. If anyone has more info on this position feel free to drop some more knowledge. Thanks!

Originally posted by Bidstar View Post
    I came across this job announcement today: https://www.cia.gov/careers/jobs/pol...ctive-service/ I didn’t knew the CIA had its own police force, and from my understanding they are not 6c covered right? Do you guys think this gig could be a good stepping stone to get in with the federal government? And also I’m aware that the job is mostly static post. If anyone has more info on this position feel free to drop some more knowledge. Thanks!
    I think they have a decently long service contract attached to being hired, so you won't be stepping off that stone anytime soon. I don't know personally so don't take my word for it without researching but it may be 3+ years.

Morale is horrid at USSS UD right now, ask any UD officer about their new 60 hour work weeks they are starting, but it is the same metro area and 6c. If you knew you were going to go to a 6c job eventually, every day spent outside 6c is just a day later you are going to retire.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Bidstar
      Bidstar commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeez thanks for the heads up

Five year contract. Also it specifically says don’t tell friends, family, and others you are applying to the CIA…

​​​​https://www.cia.gov/static/23b1c51b8...-Agreement.pdf

Comment

(( deleted ))
      Last edited by Bidstar; 04-13-2021, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Question for a friend- if he is already in process with the agency for other position(s) in a separate directorate, can he still apply to this? He understands there is a 100 day period before you can reapply but wasn’t sure if it applies to separate positions. Also, any idea what kind of retirement is offered given it’s not 6c covered?

Comment

Go local! There are plenty of good paying departments around the country. Local LE gives you the real cop experience in my opinion. A few of my friends have gone fed and started as local cops.

Comment

• vc859
            vc859 commented
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn't want to be a local officer either right now; but isn't it almost required if you want any kind of investigative experience/ to get to an 1811 position?

I would imagine that experience investigating incidents and managing "sources" (even unofficial patrol level ones) would be looked at more favorably than working a gate or magnetometer

• Bidstar
            Bidstar commented
            Editing a comment
            vc859 Not necessarily, there is a lot of entry level positions in the federal level, like CBP, BP, BOP etc that can help you get the experience needed to get into an 1811 position. There is many people who have done it that way.

• vc859
            vc859 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I forgot about those positions. I was thinking about the “typical” 0083 positions.

• Badger99
            Badger99 commented
            Editing a comment
            vc859 You don't need investigative experience. For example the FBI is on a big hiring push right now and they're hiring from a bunch of different backgrounds. It may have been the case in the old days where most 1811s were prior cops, but today they're hiring everything from folks in cyber security, biochem, intel, etc as well as people fluent in hard to fill foreign languages. I would say the only caveat is the FBI requires 2-3 years of professional experience (2 years if you have an advanced degree).

FBI, DEA, USSS, and I'm sure a few others all have announcements out for entry level hires. It might be hard to get hired right out of college but that said I'm sure it's happened (some students get a lot of internship experience which helps).

Originally posted by griffinlocke View Post
          Question for a friend- if he is already in process with the agency for other position(s) in a separate directorate, can he still apply to this? He understands there is a 100 day period before you can reapply but wasn’t sure if it applies to separate positions. Also, any idea what kind of retirement is offered given it’s not 6c covered?
          this is what it says in the benefits page about the retirement:

Retirement

The Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) automatically covers all new employees who have not worked in federal government before. FERS is a three-tier system made up of the government’s 401K plan (Thrift Savings Plan, TSP), Social Security, and the FERS Basic Benefit Plan. The minimum retirement age under FERS depends on an employee’s date of birth, but ranges from age 55 to 57.

Comment

Originally posted by az109er View Post
            Go local! There are plenty of good paying departments around the country. Local LE gives you the real cop experience in my opinion. A few of my friends have gone fed and started as local cops.
            Yep.
            If you want to be disrespected, spat on, beaten, shot, and vilified internationally, go for it. Oh yeah...and charged by DA for anything you do...

Comment

• az109er
              az109er commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve worked locally for 6 years now. It has been tough, but I’ve enjoyed the experience. Now I want to make the jump to federal LE.

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              Which is to the point, if you're going to fed eventually, why not just start there. Every day spent local when you KNOW you want to go fed is just a day delaying your retirement.

There's a lot of pluses to local LE service, but to spend any significant time there just to hit the reset button and go fed seems meh to me

The 5 year contract term date is just when it expires and the option for them to renew occurs. It says the contract can be terminated with a 30 day notice by either party for any reason. So you can move to something else or leave whenever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheridan1 View Post
              The 5 year contract term date is just when it expires and the option for them to renew occurs. It says the contract can be terminated with a 30 day notice by either party for any reason. So you can move to something else or leave whenever you want.
              thanks for the clarification.
              Last edited by Bidstar; 04-13-2021, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                If you leave before the contract is fulfilled they can seek repayment of your paid move and whatever else the contract stipulates, such as UPTP costs. If you're bailing on the agency, they have very little reason to not seek the money reimbursement terms laid out in the contract.

Might want to see what it includes. I imagine the paid move at a minimum.

• Bidstar
                Bidstar commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks battlewagon I decided not to go through with it, I will keep trying to get in with CBP/BP to start in the federal service.

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Not trying to talk you out of it but give you the whole picture. I wasn't SPS so I can't comment on the work.

I wouldn't suggest the SPO route as a means to get a different federal gig somewhere else. I'd only suggest the SPO gig if you're wanting to stay within the agency, and have no other marketable means of getting in. If possible I'd look at the MDSO route before SPO if that's the case. You'll be guarding gates, parking lots, lobbies and other facilities as well as giving out annoying tickets/warnings for people parking in carpool without a pass or driving too fast. Office of Security has some interesting assignments, but its not traditional LE work, and its not necessarily title 50 work either.

Comment

• Bidstar
                Bidstar commented
                Editing a comment
                MDSO? Can you elaborate a bit more on that position? I never heard of it before.

• Stay Frosty
                Stay Frosty commented
                Editing a comment
                Any info on MDSO ?

• izamsilas
                izamsilas commented
                Editing a comment
                Check the site or usajobs for the description. Also, one thing to consider is that once inside you can apply (for SPOs it’s after whatever the wait time is) for internal positions and assignments. Within OS folks seemed to move around pretty easily. I don’t remember meeting too many former SPOs in the other directorates however. That’s not to say it doesn’t happen, just not sure how often, or if they just don’t want to talk about it after

I would concur with izamsilas, I work in a national security org as well with police officers that guard the facility. Perimeter security is all they do. Anything remotely resembling a possible crime gets sent to the very few 1811s in our Office of Security or the IG office.

I know a few officers that took this type of position just to get a clearance with the intent of moving on elsewhere within the national security community., and or to get in & then apply elsewhere for other internal positions within the organization. Additionally, there are plenty of defense contractors out there that will hire folks with minimal experience but who have existing clearances, so it does open doors.

Comment

MDSO=Multi-disciplinary Security Officer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2986 users online. 190 members and 2796 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X