Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the least amount of time that is OK to spend at a Job?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the least amount of time that is OK to spend at a Job?

Hey all, I just took a job at FedEx Ground as a package handler and the job sucks big time! We basically unload gigantic trailers nonstop. The work is very physical and not really worth it. They try to work us to death so we can get as much work done in as little time as possible. Anyway, I've been on the job for two weeks and I hate it already. However, I know it's not a great thing to have worked at a job for a short amount of time because it makes you look bad. So, what's the least amount of time I can spend at a job and not have it negatively affect my employment background when it comes time to applying? I remember in high school one of my teachers said four months but I'm not sure how true that is. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!

I'd say its up to your real reason for not wanting to work there. If you have an excellent reason for not wishing to continue their, then in my opinion you should be fine no matter how long.

For example, I worked at a construction company for a little less than a month, was told that I would be driving with my crew in a company pickup, but unfortunatley we couldn't fit the entire crew in their, so we had to drive to the construction sites in our own cars. At this time period, gas was around $3.20-$3.30, so after spending money on my gas, I was actually making roughly $6 an hour. I consider it a very good reason to have quit working at that company.

Comment

what did you think you would be doing as a PACKAGE HANDLER? taking breaks every 10 minutes? man up, work a little... jeez.
      My Timeline:
      1-15-07 Applied
      1-15-07 Recieved COE
      1-16-07 Background Packet
      2-09-07 Sent Fingerprint Cards
      2-27-07 Panel Interview / Drug Screen
      3-28-07 Mental Health Certification
      5-09-07 Completed Medical
      6-06-07 PTA
      6-08-07 "703" Call Requesting Transcripts
      I'M DONE!
      waiting...

Comment

It's not that I can't handle the work, it's the fact that they rush us like crazy to get us out of there in 3 or 4 hours. When you are only able to work there Monday through Friday and you get 3 to 4 hours per day the job just isn't worth it. I was thinking about working there for the rest of the summer which would mean I would have been there for three months. Is that enough time not to look bad?

Comment

i wouldn't sweat it leaving early. don't waste your time if you're just going to leave in a month or two. it's not going to hurt you...

time is too valuable. make a clean break, say "thanks, but no thanks..." and skeedadle.
          My Timeline:
          1-15-07 Applied
          1-15-07 Recieved COE
          1-16-07 Background Packet
          2-09-07 Sent Fingerprint Cards
          2-27-07 Panel Interview / Drug Screen
          3-28-07 Mental Health Certification
          5-09-07 Completed Medical
          6-06-07 PTA
          6-08-07 "703" Call Requesting Transcripts
          I'M DONE!
          waiting...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlash37 View Post
            Hey all, I just took a job at FedEx Ground as a package handler and the job sucks big time! We basically unload gigantic trailers nonstop. The work is very physical and not really worth it. They try to work us to so we can get as much work done in as little time as possible. Anyway, I've been on the job for two weeks and I it already. However, I know it's not a great thing to have worked at a job for a short amount of time because it makes you look bad. So, what's the least amount of time I can spend at a job and not have it negatively affect my employment background when it comes time to applying? I remember in high school one of my teachers said four months but I'm not sure how true that is. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!
            One day. If the job isn't what you were looking for, then quit. Quitting doesn't mean you can't hold down a job, unless you make it a habit and cannot hold down a job because you are a slacker.
            You can state that simply on any future job interview. Good luck.

Comment

If you have a good reason for leaving the job, such as finding a better job (hint, hint), I don't think it would hurt you at all.

Now get out there and find a better job!
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

ok, thanks for all the responses. I feel better about leaving now. Especially after I got my first paycheck lol. My employment search starts now!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4626 users online. 305 members and 4321 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X