Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does A Series 7 Help With Government Jobs?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does A Series 7 Help With Government Jobs?

Hello All,

I’m looking for some guidance on a possible career change. A little background:

-Turning 39 in June
    -Bachelor’s degree in political science
    ​​-Currently 5 years experience in the financial industry (Franklin Templeton Investments and Raymond James Financial)

FT I was a customer service transfer agent, and at RJF a cost basis analyst. I do have my series 7 license.

My question is, and this is a long shot, with my above experience and license does any of it help when it comes to federal law enforcement jobs? Or any type of investigative job paths within the Treasury Dept? What about state or city jobs?

FYI I live in Florida. I have a fiancé and a 4 month old daughter.

Thank you everyone for the reading this, and any guidance.

Unless you're a veteran, you've likely aged out of "covered" federal LE jobs. You could look at analyst positions with Dept of Treasury. I've seen some vacancies in the past that might be a good fit for your skillset. Non-covered administrative/civil investigator positions might be an option. With a few years of experience prosecuting white collar crimes, I couldn't get referred for any positions like that though. You may get more mileage since you actually have the technical background. If you're willing to move, you will have far more options.

Comment

Most federal LEO covered positions have an age limit of 37. There are a few options left. CBP, Border Patrol and ICE ERO all have a cutoff of age 40. This means that all you need to get is a TSL (tentative selection letter) by age 40. Those are the only covered federal LE positions that I can think of off the top of my head unless you are a veteran.
      “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
      DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Would be helpful to IRS and various OIG’s but you are too old...

Comment

Thank you to all who have replied. I truly appreciate your input.

Even if it’s not an 1811 position due to age requirements I wouldn’t mind. I guess my only options would be the IRS/Treasury Dept.

And unfortunately moving is out of the question.

Comment

• Code12911
            Code12911 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck finding a Treasury gig in Florida!

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            You have more options than just IRS/Treasury if you're willing to be flexible with the job and move to another region. I didn't know about CPB/BP, those are worth looking into. I'm not sure if you'd be able to transfer to a covered job with another agency eventually. Maybe Exbpa340 knows the answer.

You should keep an eye out for DEA Diversion Investigator and Intelligence Research Analyst jobs. They do require a polygraph now but don't have an age limit. Go to USAJobs.gov and look for 1800, 1801, 1810, 1811 jobs. Set up an alert for every new posting. You can also do an alert for OIG or Office of Inspector General, you may find some analyst type jobs there.

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            If you are accepted into a position by an agency with an age waiver, the other agency must be willing to write you one as well. For most agencies, that requires a signature from the secretary of the department, such as the secretary of homeland security, or whatever other department that contains the agency you want.

It will be quite difficult to pick up a good federal position without relocating. Add in the fact that you have aged out for 99 percent of covered positions and it makes it almost impossible. If you are dead set on not moving (now with you being almost 39) I would look to local law enforcement.
          Last edited by Exbpa340; 04-05-2021, 07:43 PM.
          “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
          DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Thank you guys again!

As far as CBP, how rare are openings for the Tampa Bay Area? Also, Do you have to score really high on the exam to get a Tampa Bay location?

Comment

• GiveAlohaGetLei
              GiveAlohaGetLei commented
              Editing a comment
              RE: CBP--Most FL locations require VRA (Veterans Preference) appointment for rookies just joining the agency. And even then, it's not guaranteed.

The recruitment focus is on southern border and remote northern border locations at the moment.

There's the IRS revenue officer position, but get in before they possibly switch it to 6c retirement. If they do that, the age cutoff will be 37. If they switch over after you're hired, you can make a deposit and switch over to 6(c) to retire by 57. If you have the accounting credits, there are the taxpayer compliance officer and revenue agent positions. The revenue agent position may also be switched over to 6(c) if they ever pass the Law Enforcement Officers Equity Act.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Seems like I’m SOL. I don’t have accounting credits. I checked the FBI’s homepage for nationwide analyst positions, and nothing.

Also, I checked USAjobs for Tampa Bay and not much happening.

Comment

• Lady_Corrections
                Lady_Corrections commented
                Editing a comment
                The revenue officer position doesn't require accounting credits. It's a civil enforcement job. Revenue agents do audits, so they need to be proficient in accounting.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6530 users online. 373 members and 6157 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X