300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postal Inspector Entry Level Job Announcement

Postal Service has an entry level job announcement on USA Jobs for GS-5/9. All those interested in an 1811 position should check it out.

Just to let you know it's for OIG. Still a good opportunity.

Comment

Your friend sounds a little short sighted, perhaps jealous (?), not sure...the various OIG's, regardless of which agency they serve, all have high points and low points. So does the inspection service. It all depends on what the individual is looking for - OIG is and can be a good deal, if you know what you are getting into. Most Postal OIG agents are former 1811's from various other agencies (and quite a few former postal inspectors) who've done their share of street crimes and are looking for a little more stability in hours worked and a better quality of life. Slaving away for the man is great for the short term, but there comes a time in life, particularly for those of us who've passed 40 and are closer to retirment than we think, where one wants to balance work with family and other committments. Once you've spent 10 - 15 or more years busting doors down, the thought of internal crimes is a bit more appealing.

The OIG's are probably not the place to start your career, though many offer the excitement you probably seek. I understand HUD does their fair share of street crimes, as well as a host of other IG's from time to time. (No need for you other OIG's to get defensive - we realize each is different). As far as Postal IG - they do offer the opportunity to investigate crimes - they work "internal" crimes - theft, embezzlement, narcotics use, fraud, etc, while also working their fair share of administrative cases, such as employee misconduct, workers comp fraud, etc. It's all good - each IG, LEO, and Govt agency has it's mission to complete, just a different way of doing things. Most of the IG's I know all have take-home GOV's, just like your friend. Same deal - an 1811 is an 1811 - all have bages, guns and cars if it's the gear the excites you.

If you are new to the 1811 field and havent had your share of "feeling like a cop," get your feet wet in an agency that allows you to get that "I'm a cop" new-hire excitement out of your system first. If you need badge recognition, apply for the Bureau or the Secret Service, because you'll hate having to explain to people what the hell a [U]Dept of ________ Inspector General is. Once you get a few years in, that won't matter as much anymore. You may want to continue on the same line of work, or may decide internal investigations, fraud, etc is the way you want to go. No telling til you've done the time and have the experience to know what you enjoy. Just don't let your misinformed friends tell you what's good or bad - decide for yourself once you've been there. Good luck.

Comment

Hello, since the subeject is about Postal, do u know if they have any opening for Postal Police positions? Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by loui_ludwig View Post
          Hello, since the subeject is about Postal, do u know if they have any opening for Postal Police positions? Thanx
          Postal Police positions are becoming more rare as the use of contract guards becomes more common place. In addition the "Postal Police" are VERY security oriented (as well as VERY restricted as to what actions they make take) with very little actual LE. Until HR218, they weren't even authorized to carry off-duty. I would recommend another "police" position if you are seeking any kind of LE experience.

On another note, as others have said each OIG is different. Some people really like Postal OIG, while others find it is not their cup of tea. Much of it probably depends on where you are with your career in terms of kinds of inverstigations and such. As others have said, they have a large numbers of folks who were prior 1811's at other agencies that got their fill of street level work and are now ready to other kinds of cases...

Comment

HUD no longer deals with the "street" level projects crimes.

Postal OIG and Postal Inspectors Im guessing are still at war. The job duties of the OIG were once handled by USPIS but when OIG came around they lost the "Internal affairs" mission. It ****ed alot of inspectors off and alot of times refused to help out the newly formed IG.

As far as postal police, you can not be hired directly from the ranks of taking the postal test. Most postal police officers come from the ranks of being janitors and mail carriers etc.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
              I think SoCalFed would differ with you on that......

I know he was working street level stuff in LA.....not sure what he does out here.....but he sounds like he's very busy doing the same stuff........

Hopefully, he will be back on soon and reply......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                I think SoCalFed would differ with you on that......

I know he was working street level stuff in LA.....not sure what he does out here.....but he sounds like he's very busy doing the same stuff........

Hopefully, he will be back on soon and reply......
                Im guessing its an office thing then. I interviewed several years back with the office in Phily and was told to expect dealing with mortgage fraud and section 8 fraud. The days of them dealing with projects and gangs was gone. The IG at the time wanted them to be in lines with other IG's and be more white collar crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                  Some people want to be an 1811 so bad they will go after any position with that series # not knowing the mission.
                  So while we are clarifying the mission, would it be a good start for someone looking to obtain an 1811 position to put in for this entry level position or continue with the waiting game with other more well known organizations??

Comment

I can tell you that HUD-OIG still does street level work, although not quite to the extent as during the Safe Home days. They have agents assigned to the U.S. Marshal's Fugitive Task Force, and countless other federal task forces (far beyond just being there during stuff like Falcon). They also are heavily involved in state/local task forces including gang task forces in the most violent areas. As we all know street thugs have a thing for Section 8 and public housing.

In large urban areas mortgage fraud from FHA insured loans is scarce as most loans are conventional. My guess is that after a new administration comes in (i.e. democrats in office), you will see a program similar to Safe Home start up.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalFed View Post
                      I can tell you that HUD-OIG still does street level work, although not quite to the extent as during the Safe Home days. They have agents assigned to the U.S. Marshal's Fugitive Task Force, and countless other federal task forces (far beyond just being there during stuff like Falcon). They also are heavily involved in state/local task forces including gang task forces in the most violent areas. As we all know street thugs have a thing for Section 8 and public housing.

In large urban areas mortgage fraud from FHA insured loans is scarce as most loans are conventional. My guess is that after a new administration comes in (i.e. democrats in office), you will see a program similar to Safe Home start up.

I was told that the Safe Homes was big during the Clinton years but when the new IG came when Bush took over that mgmt wanted to focus more on white collar. Thanks for the heads up as I applied for the GS-07 slot in NYC.

Comment

I was told that the Safe Homes was big during the Clinton years but when the new IG came when Bush took over that mgmt wanted to focus more on white collar. Thanks for the heads up as I applied for the GS-07 slot in NYC.

That is true, however word on the street a new version of Safe Home will probably emerge two years or so down the road. Remember, if someone is slinging dope in the projects, it can still fall under "fraud, waste, and abuse." Did they disclose the income from their criminal enterprise when they applied for the housing? If not, that is a crime and falls under the jurisdiction of HUD-OIG...

Comment

As far as applying for an OIG as an entry level agent...if it's your only way into the Feds, then go for it. Beggars cant be choosers. Not that it's a bad thing - just that several points brought up are valid when taking OIG over a tradtional full LE agency.

A lot of cities may not have much to offer - unless you are in a large metropolitan area, the likelihood of getting to a Fed office with lots of 1811's is slim. Most of your mid size and smaller cities have small agency offices - many of the OIG's may have only one, two or three agents total for an entire state, or have their agents clustered in one office for the entire state or region. Even your larger agencies, like ICE, ATF and Bureau may only have one large office per state, with a couple of resident agents scattered around the state in 1 or 2 man offices, maybe a few more. Bottom line is in today's market, you can't afford to be picky if you are trying to get your foot in the door. Get your 1811 status first, regardless of agency - then you have the luxury of looking around and finding your niche, all the while getting some experience and time in grade. As an 1811 - whether OIG, Quasi LE agency or full LE agency, you'll get your 1811 status via FLETC CITP program. You'll get some experience. It's not all about beating down doors - it's about using your noggin. Can you investigate? Can you interview and interrogate? Can you learn to navigate the courts and deal with the DA's, US Attorneys and Defense? You can always move at a later date or transfer agencies, which is a lot easier as a standing 1811 than as a non-competative civilian.

Comment

Thank You Keydet

That was exactly the answer I was looking for. I am 24 and finishing up a master's in management/IT with an accounting undergrad. I am in the Federal system but as a 511 so I am looking for any experience in Federal LE whether it be 1801 with ICE or FAM or 1811 with ICE, IRS (not looking good for this year), or FBI (which I think I need to be older for). My opinion after reviewing their mission is that it seems like it could be a good experience. And as of right now its just another waiting game. Well it doesn't cost me anything to apply. Might as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                              Some people want to be an 1811 so bad they will go after any position with that series # not knowing the mission.
                              AMEN!!! If you are going to apply for an agency, do your homework!!!!! Find out what kinds of cases they work, trends, significant investugations that were publisized. If you want to find out the low down for ANY OIG, check out the respective agency's annual report to congress. It is a show off of sorts, but will give you a good idea of what that agency is doing (programs, investigations, major focus, etc.) This can be great info to bring up in an interview...

As others have eluded to, worry about breaking down doors later. It is like so many of the posts I see where people applying for LE jobs fixate on what kind of gun the agency carries or off-duty arrest powers. Once you have completed CITP, the world is your oyster pretty much (with the exception of FBI and DEA). Lets say you start out at EPA-CID and three years down the road decide TIGTA is more your style. All you need to complete is the agency add-on course...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3848 users online. 230 members and 3618 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X