300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal Investigator - US Marine Corps

Does anyone have any particular experience with these types of positions? I thought NCIS covered Marine / Navy criminal handlings, but I guess there are other 1811 positions for more base-related crimes? Any insights would be great!

It's a CID gig. NCIS is almost entirely made up of civilian federal law enforcement agents. USMC CID is a mix of actively serving Marines carrying CID as their MOS (5821) and civilian 1811s. CID investigates felonies and misdemeanors whereas NCIS only investigates felonies (crimes deemed by the fed to be punishable by more than a year in jail).

Comment

• Blueman143
      Blueman143 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Not sure but do they mostly take their own (prior 5821s)?

• NYC1175
      NYC1175 commented
      Editing a comment
      Blueman143 not sure about that to be honest. I just know that unlike NCIS, CID is a mix of Marines and civilian Feds. It is a primary MOS on the enlisted side under the Military Police and Corrections designation. I used to see them around when I was stationed in 29 Palms, but I wasn't really sure of who they were at the time.

I’m not CID but I have a little related experience. NCIS covers a lot of it, USMC CID has very limited authorities. I’m not sure exactly how true it is but I was told to think of it as the detective unit of Marine Corps MPs, whereas NCIS are the actual feds of Navy/USMC law enforcement.

NCIS is also bigger with more resources.

Comment

• Blueman143
      Blueman143 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response. Makes sense. Are these positions concidererd covered? Just seeing if this position would be a good fit to get a starting opportunity for criminal investigations or if they already require investigative experience.

• DiverB72
      DiverB72 commented
      Editing a comment
      USMC CID is a active duty MOS in the Marine Corps, ie you join the Marines. NCIS is a civilian job and yes its covered by the Fed LEO retirement system. As a Army CID Agent, I have worked with both. In fact the Marine Corps sends their Marine CID guys to the Army's CID course, where as NCIS attends CITP at FLETC.

• NYC1175
      NYC1175 commented
      Editing a comment
      DiverB72 they do have civilian agents as well, but it is mostly active duty Marines. The current announcement seems to be looking for current 1811s or qualified civilians although it is a single vacancy so it's safe to assume they will take former 5821s https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/595366900
      Last edited by NYC1175; 03-22-2021, 10:04 AM.

It's the equivalent of a base detective.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

One of my buddies while I was in the Corps made the switch from enlisted to CID. I remember him wearing khakis and polo and getting a badge but he was investigating lame stuff on base. Not sure how good the gig really is but it does get your foot in the door I suppose. I can reach out to him if you need any specific questions answered if you want to PM me. I'm sure he wouldn't mind speaking to you also.

Comment

• Blueman143
        Blueman143 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info and appreciate the help!

#sexcrimes

Comment

interesting I read the job announcement, seems like mostly DV stuff. Im always Skeptical when I see only one vacancy which most of the time that means they know who they want to pick but by law they have to post it.

Either way good luck with the process

Comment

Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
          interesting I read the job announcement, seems like mostly DV stuff. Im always Skeptical when I see only one vacancy which most of the time that means they know who they want to pick but by law they have to post it.

Either way good luck with the process
          Lots of these announcements say one vacancy, but they almost always add the caveat, "Additional vacancies may be filled by this announcement." Meaning they can use the list from this announcement to fill this vacancy and any additional vacancies (usually within a year of the announcement).

I'd be more worried about an 1811 position (with basically the same "arrest authority" as the MPs) that does not send you to CITP (or Quantico) and lists as a GS9 with no promotion potential.

Comment

• Blueman143
            Blueman143 commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah same here. Maybe just a sloppy advertisment but id hope someone doing 1811 functions has the proper training and certs lol.

5149.5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Dont get me wrong here. The Army CID course does train and certify you to work as an 1811. However, you would just be limited in your 1811 "lateral options" should you choose to move on into another 1811 position. If you understand and are cool with it, then by all means, go for it and good luck.

• Blueman143
            Blueman143 commented
            Editing a comment
            Roger... will likely skip this position; sure it is a great fit for someone. Thanks for the info.

The Marine CID gig is not a covered position and more than likely a waste of your time if your looking to get your foot in the door. Most prominent agencies do not recognize CID SAC (Army’s Special Agent Course) as a legitimate course in lieu of CITP. I will caveat that by saying there are some obscure OIG’s that will recognize CID SAC instead of CITP but they are few and far in between and usually agent specific. In other words they’ve worked with that agent and can vouch for their quality of work. GSA and DCIS come to mind.

Based upon the recent congressional hearings where they raked General Donna Martin over the coals about everything from inept investigations, unqualified agents leading major crime investigations, and pretty much everything under the sun I would expect major changes to come CID’s way in the very near future. More than likely going the route of NCIS (civilian agents, civilian leadership, etc etc etc) if I were a betting man. Which has been long over due.

Comment

• Blueman143
            Blueman143 commented
            Editing a comment
            What a mess.....Yeah the fact that it isnt covered is likely a deal breaker. Thank you for your information.

There have been numerous articles in Army Times as of late over the miss handling of major cases. As a former case agent and SAC I understand sadly how this can happen. As a reservist myself and others have often said with the Army's case load being so large (some of it just mandated BS just to try and get a bigger piece of the budget pie) I think CID should go the route of NCIS and go civilian.

I've been to both the Army active duty CID course and CITP, and there were some aspects I thought the Army taught and covered very well, other aspects I think CITP did the better job covering. The Army never wanted to send folks to CITP because they knew people would leave as soon as their enlistment contract was up and they wouldn't be able to keep people. Lucky for me my days of CID work even on the reserve side are nearing the end as I'm going to retire next year. Two and half years and I retire from my civilian agency and will likely never have anything to do with LE again.

If the original poster has a college degree and is under 37, I'd say apply for every 1811 gig out there, you will get picked up eventually.

Comment

• Blueman143
            Blueman143 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow I can see the frustration here. Like others have said on this forum, maybe it is time to model something like NCIS. Thank you for your service and best of luck away from LE. Becuase this isnt a covered position i will likely not waste my time on it. Appreciate the post.

• SDM8492
            SDM8492 commented
            Editing a comment
            Very well put. It is nice to start to see a small change with CID with the civilian 1811s getting to go through CITP now. Hopefully the momentum of change and innovation continues.

Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
          The Army never wanted to send folks to CITP because they knew people would leave as soon as their enlistment contract was up and they wouldn't be able to keep people.
          Agree, and even so, it still hasn't stopped the smart ones who weren't invested in military retirement from realizing what was going on and leaving anyway.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6475 users online. 371 members and 6104 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X