Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Department of Defense's Civilian Detective Positions (Army and Air Force)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Department of Defense's Civilian Detective Positions (Army and Air Force)

Are there any current DoD 0083 Detectives on this board? I was referred to a GS 8 position in North Carolina for the Department of the Air Force, and was looking for more insight into these types of positions. AKA, what work life is like, who would prefer this position over an 1811 gig, are there any overseas opportunities, etc.

Thank you in advance.

I used to work with individuals who were detectives back when I was in the military. If you are hired on, you will more than likely go to initial police training in Arkansas and then to MPI school at Fort Leonard Wood, MO. Initial training is around 10 weeks and MPI is 8 weeks. With these agencies, you work your 40 hour weeks and rarely is there OT from what I have seen. You will more than likely work alongside Air Force (military) investigators and your OIC may be a civilian detective while your NCOIC will probably be AD AF. I would never choose this position over an 1811 position, but some people may prefer it. Most people that I have seen work these positions were retired military who had served as MPs and were already well versed in the UCMJ. I personally have not known of any detectives falling under any branch of DOD to be assigned overseas, but I am sure it is possible. Your purview will be working any cases that OSI doesn't take basically. Unless things have changed, you do not get a take home vehicle or take home weapon.

Comment

• Eliteforce
      Eliteforce commented
      Editing a comment
      DocHolidayFan I mean if you are already an 0083, the only thing I would say is call the Chief of Police and let them know that you were referred and that you are interested. That way they know your name and that at least possibly can get you an interview..You don't want to be an 1811?

• Eliteforce
      Eliteforce commented
      Editing a comment
      battlewagon exactly. I couldn't do that job as a civilian. No career progression. You're literally stuck at 7/8 until you retire. I remember the OIC I worked with was like a GS-8 and he had been one for like 15 years..

• DocHolidayFan
      DocHolidayFan commented
      Editing a comment
      To everyone questioning why this job interests me: maybe i see it as a gateway to an 1811 gig, or maybe I just want a decently satisfying gig while I'm with a bread winning significant other. The internet may never know.... lol

• Eliteforce
      Eliteforce commented
      Editing a comment
      DocHolidayFan Just sent you a message.

I work as a 1811 near an AFB. The DoD 0083s that I have interacted with are either retired guys who like the easy gig or younger guys looking to get their foot in the door. My (limited) understanding is that they guys do not receive perks like other Federal LE such as off-duty carry, retirement, LEAP/OT, etc. Also, from what OSI has mentioned is that they will take any felony level cases and refer to misdemeanors down to the SFI/Detectives.

Comment

When I was an OSI Agent I worked with some DAF (Department of the Air Force) police detectives. As it was stated before, they take the cases that OSI doesn’t work. You know like theft of candy bars from the PX and stolen lawn ornaments from base housing etc. There are other things they work, but it’s a far cry form local detective work (not saying that you thought it wasn’t) and it is pretty low impact for the most part. The guys I worked with were fun though.
      Last edited by WillB1smday; 02-20-2021, 02:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to make “guy” plural.

Comment

• Eliteforce
        Eliteforce commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, dang downplay them that much haha. While they do work some of those crimes, they work a lot of TA-50 theft (depending on dollar amount), larceny cases, (DITY FRAUD investigations), credit card fraud, domestic disturbances, and even start off working some of the felony child abuse cases. They also work drug cases that OSI/CID don't want to take. Since OSI/CID are on call, I have known of investigators/detectives to be the first at the seen to process crime scenes until CID/OSI arrived.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4727 users online. 324 members and 4403 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X