300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal History Statement

I just submitted my PHS today and I felt like a terrible person when I looked it over. I never committed any crimes or done drugs. I tried to be the best version of myself as I possibly could in life. But I use to be homeless / college debt ruined me and my finances weren’t the best (building a money chest slowly and cleaning off debt now). Looking at the “financial responsibility” section is throwing me off. Also I may have missed some things such as exact dates of employment(s)... I don’t know if everyone of you guys ever felt like horrible people after submitting the PHS.

I'm convinced those things were created to make the person completing them feel lower than pond scum.

"I'm sorry, I had a Myspace account in 2006 and I can't remember the login info!"

I've had 25 residences since my 15th birthday. I'm currently trying to put together all the landlord and roommate info for a PHS that's due Thursday.

Just put it all down and let the chips fall where they may.

Comment

I just submitted one that among other things wanted the information and status for any type position I applied for in any law enforcement agency, ever, including the reason I didn't get the job. The PHS gave me 6 spots for this. I had 60 apps over the past 7 years (a lot of USAJOBS applications that I just never got a call back for). Made a 55 page PHS turn into 85 pages. I take the civil service test for this job in a week.

Comment

Wait until a Poly. I have been asked some pretty wild question.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, the FBI asked me some extremely broad questions on my poly -- have you ever broken someone's trust or disappointed them?

Originally posted by KIarkKent View Post
        I just submitted my PHS today and I felt like a terrible person when I looked it over. I never committed any crimes or done drugs. I tried to be the best version of myself as I possibly could in life. But I use to be homeless / college debt ruined me and my finances weren’t the best (building a money chest slowly and cleaning off debt now). Looking at the “financial responsibility” section is throwing me off. Also I may have missed some things such as exact dates of employment(s)... I don’t know if everyone of you guys ever felt like horrible people after submitting the PHS.
        Nobody's perfect, and they're not going to expect you to be perfect- everybody makes mistakes.

I wish you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by KIarkKent View Post
          Excessive debt can be a factor, but not all debt is looked at the same way. If college debt is the main reason for your financial problems then don't worry too much about it. Many many people are in the same boat because the cost of education keeps rising while the value of education keeps dropping. Having a solid plan in place to gradually pay things off will work in your favor. Getting yourself out of homelessness shows that you can overcome adversity.

Best of luck!

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            Mainly you want to be up to date and not in default. I have a lot of recent student loans too, and one past due small credit bill from 2008. It's never been an issue on my BI.

My OPM background investigator told me this: they clear honest people, not perfect people. That was for the Army, and I was cleared for a TS, so I'd like to think the same applies to federal LEO PHSs too.

That said, I wouldn't overdisclose either. Just provide what's required. Provide context but don't get overly detailed.

I made the mistake of disclosing something outside of the seven year window and my panel used it against me at one federal LEO agency, i.e. they thought it was a pattern and that I was minimizing because I had too much explanation.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4755 users online. 320 members and 4435 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X