300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Capitol Police

The thread in the DC section isn't that helpful, so I thought I'd start one here. There's currently a posting up on USAJobs.

My understanding is that the pay is great, but the work is extremely boring. But if you're strongly considering USSS 1811/Officer positions, this sounds about as "boring" (at least you don't have to fly all over the place to guard hallways!).

Anyone have any other thoughts on this job? Is it under the 6c FLEO retirement plan? I see people complaining about the retirement plan on Indeed/Glassdoor, so I'm curious about that.

Ask Brian Sicknick if the job is boring
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• big_bob_69
      big_bob_69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for making this a political discussion. Great way to start off a new thread

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      What is political about a police officer being killed

YOU are the one who made it political

I have a close friend who works Cap Police..................and was there. it was far from boring & my friend is hurting
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 02-12-2021, 01:52 PM.

• big_bob_69
      big_bob_69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lots of good points in your post. Thank you for taking the time to drop by.

They are indeed under the '6c' retirement, so anyone who says the retirement sucks may or may not be right since it is ultimately an opinion, but it's the best deal in the civilian fed world, so if they don't like it, they won't like anything fed.

And just to cut the nonsense that is already developing in the post and subcomments above, the reality is the job is indeed boring most of the time, but that isn't an insult to the memory of those who have lost their lives in the position, and any attempt to 'shame' someone for stating their opinion about a job in the name of a fallen officer is ridiculous, the same way claiming someone is making a political statement for doing the above listed thing is equally the same. A job being relatively boring is not saying those who died performing it are not worthy of praise and remembrance. Like many jobs of this nature, it is boring until it isn't, and then when it isn't, it is 150% balls to the wall.

The reality of Cap Police is the beginning of your career is going to be static posts, working an pedestrian entry point, a booth at an entry point or parking lot. Same as USSS UD and really many of the uniform fed gigs in DC. There are plenty of opportunities to get out on patrol, details, and interesting assignments. But it is a 'do your time' sort of job before you can roll into those positions. I worked with some capitol police officers when I was doing a congressional/DC affairs detail with an agency and they were senior dudes who seemed to like their current plain clothes assignment doing advance work, and spoke highly of their time in the agency.

As far as trying to go 1811, keep in mind that you will be excepted service with USCP, so you will lot be eligible to apply to 'federal employee only' job announcements in the future. Which isn't much of a deal breaker, since most entry level 1811 gigs are open to USC/all or schedule B.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• big_bob_69
      big_bob_69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info, thank you.

Anyone have input on how long the hiring process is from submitting app to EOD? I've heard it's quite fast.

Comment

• big_bob_69
      big_bob_69 commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot of it is online right now because of COVID, so I bet that makes it move along quickly. POST exam is online and it looks like they’re using a self reported score for the PT test. USSS does that too, so I’m guessing they expect you to tell the truth or they’re gonna make you pay when you get to FLETC.

• slim8
      slim8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah seems like a very fast process.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2567 users online. 131 members and 2436 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X