Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaineSqueeze
    replied
    Apply at the Ogunquit, Maine police department. Its a small town of 4 square miles. Anyone from Maine knows Ogunquit is very very very gay friendly. Its an extremely happy town with an even happier police force. Seriously.

Leave a comment:

• chbix
    replied
    Originally posted by ud22206 View Post
    what about Reno Sheriffs Dept?
    For the record there is no Reno Sheriffs Dept, its either Reno PD or Washoe CO Sheriffs ( although i think your trying to make a vague reference to Reno 911)

Leave a comment:

• TXleoapplicant
    replied
    Ya I wish I had made a comment like that in some regards, and in others, I think that would have just irritated the BI who would then only want to blackball me with a subsequent app. I have learned over life that keeping a cooler head is usually the way to go.
    Last edited by TXleoapplicant; 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Xtreme
    replied
    well no one has ever asked me about a lack of ex-girlfriends on my apps. if i had to list every woman i'd been involved with, well... : ) so i've never seen that question asked. ever. ex-wives, yeah, had to list her... but not ex-girlfriends.

why don't you just come out and ask, "are you implying that my sexual orientation has a bearing on me getting this job? becuase my lawyer would like to know about that... what was your name again?" 10:1 you're hired on the spot! LOL

Leave a comment:

• TXleoapplicant
    replied
    Originally posted by Xtreme View Post
    i'm curious: why does it even matter? it's not a question on the application, is it? i can't imagine it would be. i've never seen it on any i've completed at the local and federal level. and surely they arent' going to ask you, "are you gay?" i mean, if they did, and you were DQ'd, that's a huge lawsuit!!!!!! any EEO lawyer would snatch that up in a heartbeat.

so what's up? you want an agency that you can feel safe being gay? do you have to tell anyone you're gay?

i'm a bit confused is all. i'm very privacy oriented. if they dont' need to know it, i don't tell 'em. i just don't get where they can hire/not hire you because of sexual orientation.

what if you're just bi? sup with that? not tryin' to be funny, but who the hells business is it anyways???

just fyi, i'm straight... but i did work with a lesbian at the S.O. she was cool. never had a problem with her. she backed me up plenty of times. and no one ever gave her a hard time about it. and i worked in the 'country'... good ole boys and all.

- mike
    Yes, I have been asked... more accused by having things said like, "I can't find any ex-girlfriends in your life, what's up with that?" Or, "It just doesn't seem 'normal' for you not to have an ex-girlfriend on your background, tell me more." Things like this push the issue, and I have been directly asked. When I tried to avoid the topic or change the subject, I was told that it seemed I was being "deceptive" (not a good trait) or that I was "hiding something" (and I was trying to hide a private side of my life)....

I just don't wanna be asked or have to hide. In fact, 2 of the recruiters, whose statements I put out above, took it upon themselves to call the other agency I had applied to, and stir the facts with my BI ... who ultimately DQed me for a while (invited to reapply) ... but he said I was dishonest by not disclosing the name of a boyfriend that I had at the time... technically true, but I thought it was understandable.

The window is almost up with that dept, and I will probably reapply, this time listing everything...

And yes, I could legally have filed suit, but who wants to be black-balled... we all know that backgrounds look into any and all litigation ... what would happen to an applicant who had sued a department.... I think the answer is very simple.

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Originally posted by Retired Chief View Post
    Looking at your active posts, are you just poking a stick in the anthill to see what gets stirred up?
    Was this comment meant for me?

Leave a comment:

• Retired Chief
    replied
    Looking at your active posts, are you just poking a stick in the anthill to see what gets stirred up?

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
    Pun unintended, dare I assume? lol.

EDJ
    whoops

Leave a comment:

• ElDiabloJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    ...it might be "harder" for males.
    Pun unintended, dare I assume? lol.

EDJ

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
    New York State, as an employer, offers this too.
    Didn't know that, good for NY!

Four down forty six to go. Things are looking better for you TXleoapplicant!

Leave a comment:

• SlowDownThere
    replied
    Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    Actually the State of California has the domestic partners laws that offer the "same" benefits for them.
    New York State, as an employer, offers this too.

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Originally posted by Xtreme View Post
    i'm curious: why does it even matter? it's not a question on the application, is it? i can't imagine it would be. i've never seen it on any i've completed at the local and federal level. and surely they arent' going to ask you, "are you gay?" i mean, if they did, and you were DQ'd, that's a huge lawsuit!!!!!! any EEO lawyer would snatch that up in a heartbeat.

so what's up? you want an agency that you can feel safe being gay? do you have to tell anyone you're gay?

i'm a bit confused is all. i'm very privacy oriented. if they dont' need to know it, i don't tell 'em. i just don't get where they can hire/not hire you because of sexual orientation.

what if you're just bi? sup with that? not tryin' to be funny, but who the hells business is it anyways???

just fyi, i'm straight... but i did work with a lesbian at the S.O. she was cool. never had a problem with her. she backed me up plenty of times. and no one ever gave her a hard time about it. and i worked in the 'country'... good ole boys and all.

- mike

You're right it doesn't matter. It's no ones business as long as you do your job.

As for men vs women....I believe the women are easier "accepted". Depending on demographics.....it might be "harder" for males. Our dept has both openly gay males and females. There are no problems for either. Actually the State of California has the domestic partners laws that offer the "same" benefits for them.

So if you want look into California depts.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Xtreme
    replied

- mike

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
    Perhaps you could have said, "SFPD, if you don't mind low pay and communting from East BFE, since a cop can't afford to live anywhere near the City."

And while we're at it...LAPD routinely reaches out to all people, but sends recruiters to GLBT events. We're not perfect, but we're better than we I started, three decades ago. LASD, too.
    Neither can LAPD, LASO or San Diego.

Leave a comment:

• Kieth M.
    replied
    Originally posted by COASTIE01 View Post
    San Francisco PD if you dont mind working with wackos
    Perhaps you could have said, "SFPD, if you don't mind low pay and communting from East BFE, since a cop can't afford to live anywhere near the City."

And while we're at it...LAPD routinely reaches out to all people, but sends recruiters to GLBT events. We're not perfect, but we're better than we I started, three decades ago. LASD, too.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5880 users online. 331 members and 5549 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X