300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gay-friendly LEO agencies...

So, anyone know of any gay-friendly police departments? It is not something that I want to throw in any person's face, but I do not want to hide any more. In fact, lying about orientation got me DQ'd one time and I will have to reapply after the deferral period... in my mind, I should not have had to lie about it but I felt that I did.

I can and have done extensive research on the topic and found departments that claim to be tolerant... but I am looking for practical experience here... anyone working in a department that is particularly accepting or at least not anti-gay?

I have a master's degree and currently 1.5 years experience as a LEO but am not in a dept with civil service ... so I am beginning to look for something else.

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by TXleoapplicant View Post
    . . . but I am looking for practical experience here... anyone working in a department that is particularly accepting or at least not anti-gay?
    I've agency I've worked for and with, fed, state, and local, had officers/agents that were openly gay. While there were some narrow minded tools who had problems with it, the vast majority didn't care about sexual orientation. Good cops care only about one thing, is the other person a good hardworking cop that they can trust with their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by SA13 View Post
      I've agency I've worked for and with, fed, state, and local, had officers/agents that were openly gay. While there were some narrow minded tools who had problems with it, the vast majority didn't care about sexual orientation. Good cops care only about one thing, is the other person a good hardworking cop that they can trust with their lives.
      I totally agree.

It's not about your sexual orientation or SEX that matters..it's all about being a good cop. You have to remember, individuals from all types of backgrounds make up officers in their respected dept. So you are going to find "someone" with a different opinion. So what? Who cares? Just do your job!

My motto is "You don't have to like me personally, but you'll never say I don't do my job."

Don't know about TX but CA is "gay friendly".
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

what about Reno Sheriffs Dept?

Comment

San Francisco PD if you dont mind working with wackos
          R.I.P. Officer Wayne McLaughlin

Comment

Memphis PD as well. Good luck on your move. I hope you find peace in what you love to do as well as with the people you work with.

2lucky

Comment

All federal agencies are that I know of. The only caveat is that if the job requires a security background clearance, you must be out of the closet (under the theory that if you are not, it could be used to blackmail you).

Comment

Seattle

Seattle Police Department is very gay friendly
                "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by COASTIE01 View Post

The agency suggestion was sufficient......................
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by COASTIE01 View Post
                    Perhaps you could have said, "SFPD, if you don't mind low pay and communting from East BFE, since a cop can't afford to live anywhere near the City."

And while we're at it...LAPD routinely reaches out to all people, but sends recruiters to GLBT events. We're not perfect, but we're better than we I started, three decades ago. LASD, too.
                    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                      Perhaps you could have said, "SFPD, if you don't mind low pay and communting from East BFE, since a cop can't afford to live anywhere near the City."

And while we're at it...LAPD routinely reaches out to all people, but sends recruiters to GLBT events. We're not perfect, but we're better than we I started, three decades ago. LASD, too.
                      Neither can LAPD, LASO or San Diego.

Comment

i'm curious: why does it even matter? it's not a question on the application, is it? i can't imagine it would be. i've never seen it on any i've completed at the local and federal level. and surely they arent' going to ask you, "are you gay?" i mean, if they did, and you were DQ'd, that's a huge lawsuit!!!!!! any EEO lawyer would snatch that up in a heartbeat.

so what's up? you want an agency that you can feel safe being gay? do you have to tell anyone you're gay?

i'm a bit confused is all. i'm very privacy oriented. if they dont' need to know it, i don't tell 'em. i just don't get where they can hire/not hire you because of sexual orientation.

what if you're just bi? sup with that? not tryin' to be funny, but who the hells business is it anyways???

just fyi, i'm straight... but i did work with a lesbian at the S.O. she was cool. never had a problem with her. she backed me up plenty of times. and no one ever gave her a hard time about it. and i worked in the 'country'... good ole boys and all.

- mike
                        My Timeline:
                        1-15-07 Applied
                        1-15-07 Recieved COE
                        1-16-07 Background Packet
                        2-09-07 Sent Fingerprint Cards
                        2-27-07 Panel Interview / Drug Screen
                        3-28-07 Mental Health Certification
                        5-09-07 Completed Medical
                        6-06-07 PTA
                        6-08-07 "703" Call Requesting Transcripts
                        I'M DONE!
                        waiting...

Comment

Originally posted by Xtreme View Post
                          i'm curious: why does it even matter? it's not a question on the application, is it? i can't imagine it would be. i've never seen it on any i've completed at the local and federal level. and surely they arent' going to ask you, "are you gay?" i mean, if they did, and you were DQ'd, that's a huge lawsuit!!!!!! any EEO lawyer would snatch that up in a heartbeat.

so what's up? you want an agency that you can feel safe being gay? do you have to tell anyone you're gay?

i'm a bit confused is all. i'm very privacy oriented. if they dont' need to know it, i don't tell 'em. i just don't get where they can hire/not hire you because of sexual orientation.

what if you're just bi? sup with that? not tryin' to be funny, but who the hells business is it anyways???

just fyi, i'm straight... but i did work with a lesbian at the S.O. she was cool. never had a problem with her. she backed me up plenty of times. and no one ever gave her a hard time about it. and i worked in the 'country'... good ole boys and all.

- mike

You're right it doesn't matter. It's no ones business as long as you do your job.

As for men vs women....I believe the women are easier "accepted". Depending on demographics.....it might be "harder" for males. Our dept has both openly gay males and females. There are no problems for either. Actually the State of California has the domestic partners laws that offer the "same" benefits for them.

So if you want look into California depts.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                            Actually the State of California has the domestic partners laws that offer the "same" benefits for them.
                            New York State, as an employer, offers this too.
                            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                              New York State, as an employer, offers this too.
                              Didn't know that, good for NY!

Four down forty six to go. Things are looking better for you TXleoapplicant!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5927 users online. 349 members and 5578 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X