Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion from 0082 to 1811 after 37?

I'm just curious--I understand that Deputy US Marshals start out in the 0082 job series, with conversion to 1811 happening within a few years of being on the job. How would it work if someone started as a 0082 in their mid-thirties and wanted to transfer to another agency as a Special Agent (1811)? Would the 1811 agency accept a 0082 who is older than 37?

I am considering USMS, but know that with the hiring process (if I made it through) taking as long as it does, I may not reach the automatic 1811 status before my 37th birthday. Would this mean I would be stuck with the Marshals? Not saying I wouldn't enjoy the job (I'm sure I'd love it), I just know many 1811's that have ended up in another agency than the one they got hired into. I've only personally known one Marshal, and he did his career there.

Originally posted by FutureFed1988 View Post
    I'm just curious--I understand that Deputy US Marshals start out in the 0082 job series, with conversion to 1811 happening within a few years of being on the job. How would it work if someone started as a 0082 in their mid-thirties and wanted to transfer to another agency as a Special Agent (1811)? Would the 1811 agency accept a 0082 who is older than 37?

I am considering USMS, but know that with the hiring process (if I made it through) taking as long as it does, I may not reach the automatic 1811 status before my 37th birthday. Would this mean I would be stuck with the Marshals? Not saying I wouldn't enjoy the job (I'm sure I'd love it), I just know many 1811's that have ended up in another agency than the one they got hired into. I've only personally known one Marshal, and he did his career there.
    Once you're in a covered role, which 0082 DUSMs are, the clock stops and you can be converted to an 1811 DUSM or depart the agency for any other covered LEO position after 37.

You're good to go.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• FutureFed1988
      FutureFed1988 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the quick response. I tried doing a Google search on the matter but wasn't sure how to phrase my question. Appreciate it!

0082 are converted when they reach the GS 11 level. So if you start as a GS5 it will be at the beginning of your third year. It will be at the beginning of your second year for GS7. The conversion is automatic. There is no statutory difference that I'm aware of for 0082 vs 1811 deputy, just a few minor policy things and LEAP.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4753 users online. 324 members and 4429 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X