Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any folks such as wildlife97 or Ratatatat care to muse on how the FWS is changing/will change/should change due to the elimination of Zone Officers in favor of Patrol Captains and the overall shift towards a more stove piped chain of command.

P.S. Pretty please with a cherry on top.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthebeef View Post
      Do any folks such as wildlife97 or Ratatatat care to muse on how the FWS is changing/will change/should change due to the elimination of Zone Officers in favor of Patrol Captains and the overall shift towards a more stove piped chain of command.

P.S. Pretty please with a cherry on top.
      As of Feb 1, 2021 Patrol Captains are in place and officers are now working for their respective Patrol Captains.

Pros:

-Increased freedom/flexibility. Under the old scheme of working for a manager/project leader some officers were heavily micromanaged, down to the point of managers assigning when and where they will patrol down to the hour of half-hour, you won't see a Captain doing that.
      -Some managers saw their officer more as a security guard more than anything, so they wouldn't let their officer take details, even those which were fully funded, again you won't see that with a Captain.
      -Back to the micro-managing but some managers dictated what enforcement actions were to be taken (don't write tickets, write tickets for dog off leash but don't worry about drug offenses, etc.), again you won't see that with a Captain. My guess is we will start seeing more officers actually exercising their authority, such as off-refuge migratory bird hunting enforcement, some officers have never done it because their manager wouldn't let them.

Cons:
      -Depending on what region you worked for you could have a lot of money, or no money. Historically the two regions on the west coast have fully funded their officers, but in the middle of the country an officer was partially funded by regional LE money and partially funded by the refuge itself, well now that an officer is a regional employee the regional LE division is supposed to fully fund their officers. For this reason there are several regions which are essentially broke because they've been used to funding say 75% of an officer position vs 100% of an officer position.
      -Lack of support from local refuge staff. Again not everywhere, or even many places but going from being a refuge employee to a regional employee really ****es some people off.

Comment

• wheresthebeef
        wheresthebeef commented
        Editing a comment
        I appreciate it, thank you.

• Jumpywolf
        Jumpywolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, I am so excited about this job. I cant stop reading on it. You and rat provided excellent information.

Back in the day, nearly all PLs had, at one point in their career, been credentialed LEOs. Some were better at it than others but at least there was a basic, system-wide understanding by managers of how LE functioned and the resources required.

That changed awhile back as collateral duty LEOs went the way of the dinosaur. Now the average manager has zero practical LE experience. But being emperors with their own little empires, they called the shots, bossed subordinates, determined how money got spent, and set the tone.

So the power structure has recently changed. Managers can have opinions but not much else. A new hierarchy is in place. Will this bring a magical solution? Or just a whole slew of unintended consequences? I guess time will tell...

Never forget that line from a song by The Who:

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
      Last edited by Ratatatat; 04-01-2021, 12:11 PM.
      No one likes change but a wet baby.

Mark Twain

Comment

The last batch of FWS new hires that graduated FLETC in 2020 have not started their FTO/FTEP phase because of covid precautions being taken by the agency.

They have all been in limbo doing non-law enforcement work for over a year now. Meanwhile all the other land management agencies continued on with their FTEP. Just something to think about for those of you applying. I imagine the agency will lift the restrictions by the time you graduate from FLETC, but who knows...

EDIT: I forgot to add: those who receive the vaccine are being allowed to begin FTEP with an FTO who is vaccinated and willing to take on trainees.
        Last edited by wheresthebeef; 04-04-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Jumpywolf
          Jumpywolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you already a fwo?

• wildlife97
          wildlife97 commented
          Editing a comment
          Beef is correct. FWS freaked out over COVID, in fact they still are. Technically, the policy/directive requiring officers to wear an N95 mask, latex gloves, and eye protection on every citizen contact is still in place, and has been since the pandemic started. Real question is, how many officers do you think are still abiding by it??

Hopefully everybody has good luck this week of receiving a call, still cricket on my end.

Comment

Rumor has it the 2021 hire is on hold due to budgetary issues.

Comment

• Jumpywolf
            Jumpywolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the update

Still crickets on my end, in case anyone wondering .

Comment

Nothing here

Comment

Wishing everyone good luck this week

Comment

Wishing everyone good luck this week

Comment

Canceled due to funding

Comment

• Jumpywolf
                    Jumpywolf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sameher, I am so sad. The good news, next time I apply. I will have more experience.

Did all announcements get cancelled or just the merit?

Comment

So far I got the merit canceled.

Comment

According to HR, All announcements were cancelled.

Comment

Canceled.. Curious when they’ll start up again. Hurry up and wait.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4882 users online. 295 members and 4587 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X