Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wahoo super excited!!!!! Never thought I would make it this far!
    Last edited by Jumpywolf; 03-06-2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Easthawk24
      Easthawk24 commented
      Editing a comment
      Get the call? I got referred to a 5, and 7 hopefully I get called for interviews.

• Jumpywolf
      Jumpywolf commented
      Editing a comment
      Easthawk24 yeah I was totally shocked! I missed the external, but applied to the internal announcement. Form reading this thread, it sounded like they were working on calling applicants from the external announcement last week. Then. this week seem liked they just started calling applicants for the internal announcement. I am guessing they called applicants by grade levels referred. Hopefully calls are still going out this week. I have been trying for the past 3 years, and this is my first time actually being called.
      Last edited by Jumpywolf; 03-07-2021, 12:51 PM.

Any news for anyone since submitting the questionnaires?

Comment

Can anyone with recent experience or knowledge of the Federal Wildlife Officer program give a break down of the training at FLETC as well as the advanced follow on training in West Virginia? I believe FLETC is a 17 week course of instruction but have heard different numbers for the advanced training portion. Also, when do you find out your official duty station during the process? It seems like it could be before you are officially hired or possibly while you are at Glynco? Seems a little wishy washy. Thanks in advance for the information!

Comment

• wildlife97
        wildlife97 commented
        Editing a comment
        Leo- You've heard different answers because no two hiring classes are the same, especially with your duty station question. The USFWS specific post FLETC class is about 4 weeks long. It's at a great facility and is almost all classroom based (death by powerpoint.) As for duty stations, the agency tries to get you a duty station ASAP, but with recent classes there have been people who have graduated FLETC and still haven't had a duty station. The agency essentially hires in advance of intended vacancies throughout the year, so that's why some may wait for a duty station (there's no funded vacancies in the field)

• OutofRoll
        OutofRoll commented
        Editing a comment
        Last edited by OutofRoll; 05-02-2021, 05:13 PM.

• Jumpywolf
        Jumpywolf commented
        Editing a comment
        OutofRoll- I agree, but also depends on the location. Hawaii, where I grew up talking with the individual solves alot of problems. I guess the area you are interested at, deals with alot of stubborn people. Each location is different culture.

• OutofRoll
        OutofRoll commented
        Editing a comment
        Last edited by OutofRoll; 05-02-2021, 05:13 PM.

I received a phone call yesterday, they needed to update personal info a few yes/no questions.

They said they are in the process of reviewing resumes/ applications and making their phone calls from there. So there’s still a chance.

Like others out there I received an email that for an essay/ job references. So fingers crossed, also the woman I spoke to told me they are on a super fast track here with in person interviews tentatively scheduled for May 4th and a academy date of June 5th. From my understanding they are trying to fill an FLETC date.

Honestly I’m surprised to have made it to this point, does anyone have input that has made it this far?

Thanks and best of luck to those who’ve also applied!

(Sorry for the rambling bounce around post.)

Comment

• Jumpywolf
        Jumpywolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome that is good news, I think most of us are on the same page of completing the essay/questionnaire. Thanks for the update, we should all stay active on here. I am surprised as well, took me 3 years to get this far

As is usual with USFWS, some of the duty stations listed in the announcement (naturally the more desirable ones) are no longer available..

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, Bloomington, Minnesota (No Longer Available - Internal Transfer)
      Illinois River National Wildlife Refuge, Havana, Illinois (Likely No Longer Available - Internal Transfer)
      Sheldon-Hart Mountain National Wildlife Refuge, Lakeview, Oregon
      Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Las Vegas, Nevada
      James Campbell National Wildlife Refuge, O'ahu, Hawaii
      Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, Princeton, Oregon
      Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife Refuge, Winona, Illinois (No Longer Available - Internal Transfer)

Comment

• Jumpywolf
        Jumpywolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Wahoo, I am from Hawaii and I definitely want Hawaii!!!! Thanks alot
        Last edited by Jumpywolf; 03-17-2021, 12:37 AM.

So they're going through this entire process for what, four positions?

Malheur already has two LEOs at a refuge in the middle of nowhere that gets hardly any visitors and has hardly no hunting. Other than the never ending feud with the Hammonds, there just isn't much going on (spectacular country, though, if you like high desert).

Pro tip: get a SiriusXM account if you end up at Malheur or Sheldon, because those will be some boring shifts and there ain't nothing on the am/fm dial in SE Oregon but static and Tammy Wynette songs....
      No one likes change but a wet baby.

Mark Twain

Comment

• OutofRoll
        OutofRoll commented
        Editing a comment
        Last edited by OutofRoll; 05-02-2021, 05:14 PM.

• wildlife97
        wildlife97 commented
        Editing a comment
        Malheur had two officers, one transferred which is why they're hiring for that station. Those four remaining positions are simply those that were identified, the announcement even stated they're will be additional duty stations. USFWS has had several GS 11 and GS 12 announcements out in the past couple weeks which will likely open further GL 9 positions due to promotions.

Jumpywolf I recently left Hawaii, I was hoping for Arizona. Oh well!

Comment

• Jumpywolf
        Jumpywolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Kennywc, Hawaii is home for me and my entire family tree is here so no plan on leaving. I am not a law enforcement Officer but I do enforce regulatory trade regulations related to natural resources. I have understanding that visitors have to comply with Title 50 and DOI Enforcement CFRs. I can imagine someone looking for action, Campbell will be extremely boring for 153 acres refuge.
        Last edited by Jumpywolf; 03-17-2021, 12:10 PM.

Wish everyone good luck this week. Hopefully all our dreams come true

Comment

• Kennywc
        Kennywc commented
        Editing a comment
        My dreams... oh my dreams. Lol!

Has anyone heard back after submitting their writing assessment / References? Sounds like this is being used to narrow down the field that ultimately gets invited to Falls Church in May. Based on the timeline I would be willing to bet we all hear something back from them rather soon. Also, were all of you contacted by a Wildlife Officer that was located relatively close to the address listed on your resume? Or was this possibly an indicator that they may be in the market for a new FWO in their Area of Operation and my resume landed on their desk?

Comment

• Kennywc
        Kennywc commented
        Editing a comment
        From my side I think I can answer no to everything you listed! Sounds great and looks like there’s some movement in the system. Best of luck

• Jumpywolf
        Jumpywolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Samehere nothing yet! Thanks for the update, Lets keep updating each other!

Well NPS posted two announcements for LE Park Rangers last night. That’s one good thing about working nights is that if you see jobs the second they pop up if you search for them. One recent grad/student vacancy and one general public. Vacancies shut at 200 and 400 applicants and they only take 24 in a class, so do the math for your potential chances...GL everyone.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        What's the hiring timeline look like for these jobs?

• griffinlocke
        griffinlocke commented
        Editing a comment
        Personally, I don’t know. But for both announcements it said anticipated EOD Aug. of this year. Which sounds good. Getting that LMPT under your belt sounds nice too.

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, good info.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        griffinlocke, I saw that posting right after it went up on USAJobs. I was actually surprised to see this from NPS.

Last edited by OutofRoll; 05-02-2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Jumpywolf
        Jumpywolf commented
        Editing a comment
        ***Deleted***
        Last edited by Jumpywolf; 03-30-2021, 08:24 PM.

• Ratatatat
        Ratatatat commented
        Editing a comment
        On Day 3, after a friendly warning and subsequent issuance of a violation notice (but the hunter is still having difficulties with compliance), his truck and gun are getting seized and he's probably in cuffs headed for an initial appearance before a U.S. magistrate judge. Don't know what the hell you are talking about facing a 'civil penalty' at that point....

• wildlife97
        wildlife97 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry Jumpywolf but you have no clue what you are talking about regarding "civil penalties." If an FWO finds an individual in violation of refuge hunting/fishing regs he can warn them, cite him, heck even arrest him. Not sure where you're getting all this false info on outreach, citation, and civil penalties. In fact the Refuge Administration Act doesn't even have a civil aspect, it's 100% criminal.

• Jumpywolf
        Jumpywolf commented
        Editing a comment
        ***Deleted***
        Last edited by Jumpywolf; 03-30-2021, 08:24 PM.

1. Some refuges offer G housing but the trend has been in the direction of find your own place to reside.

It's a double edged sword-- gov housing is cheap and a good option if you don't plan on sticking around for the long run but the downside is you are always at work and your neighbors are your co-workers so you don't really have a life, other than what's happening at the refuge. That's not ideal.

2. LEOs and agents... where to start....

Varies from place to place and personality to personality but overall, not ideal. Agents largely look at officers as lesser beings on the galactic food chain and officers largely look at agents as overpaid desk jockeys who get too much recognition for not doing much work. The agency still promotes the lore of the agent of old- master boatman, bird ID expert, superhero wildlife crime sleuth- but those living the present shake their head at such institutional delusions.

Officers work with inspectors very infrequently.

Officers, as a general rule, work frequently with state wardens, county sheriffs, etc and at some locations are locally deputized.

3. Always on-call, especially if living on the refuge. BUT- the callouts are less frequent than say your average national park, because the visitation is 1/10th of your average national park and there aren't any 300 site campgrounds at refuges where people get drunk and start beating their spouse at 2am.

4. DOI (and other agencies) have mutual agreements and work together on national incidents like wildland fires, hurricanes, oil spills, the Olympics, and Oathkeeper raids on the US Capitol.

5. Not really... there's something in place but it's pretty bush league compared to actual SRTs.
      No one likes change but a wet baby.

Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
        1. Some refuges offer G housing but the trend has been in the direction of find your own place to reside.

It's a double edged sword-- gov housing is cheap and a good option if you don't plan on sticking around for the long run but the downside is you are always at work and your neighbors are your co-workers so you don't really have a life, other than what's happening at the refuge. That's not ideal.

2. LEOs and agents... where to start....

Varies from place to place and personality to personality but overall, not ideal. Agents largely look at officers as lesser beings on the galactic food chain and officers largely look at agents as overpaid desk jockeys who get too much recognition for not doing much work. The agency still promotes the lore of the agent of old- master boatman, bird ID expert, superhero wildlife crime sleuth- but those living the present shake their head at such institutional delusions.

Officers work with inspectors very infrequently.

Officers, as a general rule, work frequently with state wardens, county sheriffs, etc and at some locations are locally deputized.

3. Always on-call, especially if living on the refuge. BUT- the callouts are less frequent than say your average national park, because the visitation is 1/10th of your average national park and there aren't any 300 site campgrounds at refuges where people get drunk and start beating their spouse at 2am.

4. DOI (and other agencies) have mutual agreements and work together on national incidents like wildland fires, hurricanes, oil spills, the Olympics, and Oathkeeper raids on the US Capitol.

5. Not really... there's something in place but it's pretty bush league compared to actual SRTs.
        Agree with Rat here.

As far as LEOs working agents it depends where you are. I can tell you in my region OLE has essentially said they will not do migratory bird hunting enforcement and the federal enforcement is up to the FWOs. Yet I know in another region the agents are under the impression that LEOs must ask permission from their local agent in order to do off-refuge MBTA enforcement.

As far as call-outs every officer is authorized to have AUO, this changed last year where it was previously up to the regions. Some officers declined AUO and do not receive it. Call outs are a category under AUO, you aren't required to respond to every call-out (your at your kids bday party, etc.) but if you never respond it may be looked it.

As far as DOI agencies helping each other out, again it depends where you are. There are the national events like Rat mentioned but there is also daily assistance. In a given day I can patrol USFWS, USFS, BOR, and BLM lands in my area and under these MOUs I can and have issued citations for violating each of those agencies regs. I go a lot a littler further and I can hit several NPS areas. This is done more so out west where there simply is much more federal public land and there's a good chance that a refuge may border another federal land management agency. There are several refuges which actually receive funding from BOR to patrol their lands since BOR doesn't have a patrol entity. I know of at least one refuge which also receives funding from NPS to patrol a NPS unit which does not have an LE staff.

Comment

• Jumpywolf
          Jumpywolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the information

Last edited by OutofRoll; 05-02-2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• cscott91
          cscott91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Was happy to at least get an update.

• John29
          John29 commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. Should be interesting doing a “virtual” interviews. Curious how they’ll do the PEB?

• Kennywc
          Kennywc commented
          Editing a comment
          Curious, that email was just a generic email that was sent out to those of us that submitted essays and references.. right?

• Jumpywolf
          Jumpywolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Kennywc I am wondering the same as well. From reading the email, I think they are going to start calling applicants to schedule interviews starting today for the next 2 to 3 weeks.
          Last edited by Jumpywolf; 03-30-2021, 11:50 PM.

This sounds like a lot of work for a permanent GL-9 for life position.

Comment

• wildlife97
          wildlife97 commented
          Editing a comment
          NFL = Nine For Life

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3570 users online. 268 members and 3302 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X