Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What fed jobs have the better retirement? Will park ranger get preference?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fed jobs have the better retirement? Will park ranger get preference?

What's the difference in retirement between the various Federal le jobs? Will park ranger, VA hospital, or other job help with getting into the mint? Id like to get into the mint police but need to investigate the retirement.

Originally posted by kip42 View Post
    What's the difference in retirement between the various Federal le jobs? Will park ranger, VA hospital, or other job help with getting into the mint? Id like to get into the mint police but need to investigate the retirement.
    The better federal retirement under FERS is the 12D (sometimes called 6C) covered/enhanced retirement. The bulk of these positions are for LEO. Many federal “police” officer positions under the 0083 series like VA and the Armed Services (Army, Air Force, Navy) are not considered LEOs and do not receive the covered/enhanced retirement.
    “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

6C federal retirement is/was CSRS retirement...the last eligible CSRS people were hired circa 1983.

Comment

Does this mean it won't apply for those hired after 1983? What kind of retirement does VA, DOD, Mint, Park Ranger police get?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikeset View Post
          Does this mean it won't apply for those hired after 1983? What kind of retirement does VA, DOD, Mint, Park Ranger police get?
          They get a similar 'enhanced' retirement called 12D, but most people still call it 6c. The whole government switched from CSRS to FERS, and that is a change to the entire government retirement system, not just law enforcement.

VA, DOD, Mint do not get it. Park Ranger and US Park Police both get it.

The system's definitions are skewed IMO, a DoD police officer is much more likely to do 'physically rigorous' work (a defining factor) than a TIGTA special agent, yet the DoD 0083s don't get it, and that TiGTA agent does. What is even more insulting is an admin staff member working in a prison facility (not to be confused with actually in the cell block with inmates, in an office building that happens to be apart of a prison facility) gets the enhanced retirement, but again many actual uniformed LEOs do not.

There was a bill introduced to congress years ago, can't remember what it was called, equality in law enforcement retirement or something, that would have given all federal law enforcement officers the coverage, but it was never introduced on the floor.
          Last edited by battlewagon; 01-10-2021, 02:21 PM.
          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Calitown
            Calitown commented
            Editing a comment
            battlewagon
            Great break down...Yep I always thought it was strange that the non-custody side of BOP gets the 6c retirement, and a lot of them aren't capped to GL-7 like the custody officers are. What a shame.
            As for the 0083s, they don't hardly do anything anyways. Worked with a bunch of them at various bases as an enlisted MP. But as an LEO, I think any agency that has police in their title should be covered under the 6c.
            It actually surprised me that FPS was not 6c covered?

So basically if youre not covered, youre retiring with the garbage FERs. TSP is your real retirement.

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            I was doing a detail at an old agency doing DC and Congressional stuff, and we hosted the Deputy Secretary for DHS as well as some other DHS brass for a employee town hall in texas. He's a cool cat by the way, at least was to us for the day. Anyways after the gig was rolling, I went back into the audience and then proceeded to get the microphone handed to me to ask that question specifically, "why are FPS inspectors not given 6c coverage" simply because I knew some FPS dudes who always mentioned they were bummed they didn't have it. I had been talking with quite a few inspectors as well before the event and that was something one of them wanted to ask, but said he wasn't going too since there was also FPS brass there.

The inspectors there were clapping hard as hell after the question. The DSec said that's a really good point but I don't know the specifics to answer that. An FPS brass guy in the audience near the front stood up all flustered and clearly mad and motioned to have another microphone for questions given to him. He was clearly agitated that someone asked that, like when CEO at a workplace hears someone bring up unionizing or similar.

His answer, all angry, was we don't do that because so many of our inspectors are vets (this is true) and if we had to follow 6c rules, they would be too old by the time they got out of the military for us to hire. Which is of course complete nonsense since age limits don't apply to vets applying for 6c positions.

Bunch of the inspectors after the town hall came up shaking my hand like I did something epic. I didn't at all, I asked a simple question. I was happy to do it on behalf of them but it was a zero-effort act. Seemed very odd that no one was willing to ask, almost like it's a taboo subject within their agency.

Not sure why that is, but there's a small little story for you related to FPS and 6c.

• Calitown
            Calitown commented
            Editing a comment
            @battlewagon
            You definitely hurt/offended his ego by simply asking a legitimate question. I mean you'd expect the FPS inspectors to be covered. What a hilarious story though haha...

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

They get a similar 'enhanced' retirement called 12D, but most people still call it 6c. The whole government switched from CSRS to FERS, and that is a change to the entire government retirement system, not just law enforcement.

VA, DOD, Mint do not get it. Park Ranger and US Park Police both get it.

The system's definitions are skewed IMO, a DoD police officer is much more likely to do 'physically rigorous' work (a defining factor) than a TIGTA special agent, yet the DoD 0083s don't get it, and that TiGTA agent does. What is even more insulting is an admin staff member working in a prison facility (not to be confused with actually in the cell block with inmates, in an office building that happens to be apart of a prison facility) gets the enhanced retirement, but again many actual uniformed LEOs do not.

There was a bill introduced to congress years ago, can't remember what it was called, equality in law enforcement retirement or something, that would have given all federal law enforcement officers the coverage, but it was never introduced on the floor.
          There is a bill introduced almost every session of Congress but never goes anywhere. Also, even EPP refers to it as 6C.
          “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
          DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            TIL. So very few people know that they are technically 12d, I was pleasantly surprised to see it in your post above. But you're always an A1 source here on the forum for knowledge, so it's not unexpected. Maybe you can get the bill passed when you win a seat in Congress señor!

If you're wanting to get in with the milt police, your best bet is getting in as a navy 0083. They get sent to fletc. The mint, to my knowledge, gets the bulk of their hires from transfers that already hold the uptp fletc cert. However, the mint police do not get the good retirement.

Comment

https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...federal-police
            You miss every shot you don't take.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5104 users online. 301 members and 4803 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X