Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting hired with prior termination (mental health related)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hired with prior termination (mental health related)

Closed offers received
    Last edited by Lathire88; 05-19-2021, 10:42 AM.

Originally posted by Lathire88 View Post
    Good Evening,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I am state certified law enforcement officer with 8 months until my certification lapses. I have applied to approximately 75 departments in Michigan and Washington State. I have only received two interviews thus far, both ending in rejections. I have also received dozens of rejections (without interviews) from other departments I applied for. The reason for the rejections is likely due my prior termination. Even with glowing recommendations from previous command staff and officers, and exemplary performance reviews from my three years as an officer, I have been unable to secure a job back in law enforcement. My termination is the result of one bad night, off duty, where I got highly intoxicated (most I have ever been) and after a verbal argument with my significant other, expressed suicidal ideation buy holding a weapon to my head. I never threatened anyone but myself and no physical alternation took place. I was cooperative with responding officers and I was never charged criminally for being in possession of a weapon intoxicated (weapon was put away prior to police arrival). I sought help and counseling to address the issues I had been burying for so long. I have been cleared to return to law enforcement by doctors and therapists and eliminated the underlying issues that caused the incident. I don't have any alcohol abuse issues and no history of disciplinary action taken against me prior to this incident. I have no criminal history and no previous mental health issues. Yet I am having an extremely difficult time finding a job, I understand I look like a huge liability, but I am not, and I just need a department to give me a second chance. I am currently in Michigan and have applied to almost every agency within 60-90 minutes of me. I also applied to dozens of agencies in Washington State as a lateral transfer. I am not having any luck and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions reference agencies in any state that are more likely to give second chances (preferably a state that I can transfer my Michigan MCOLES license easily or with little required academy time). I have a passion for law enforcement and can't imagine myself doing anything else. I appreciate any advice or agency recommendations. Thank you for your time
    Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

Comment

Never going to happen.

Comment

I know most will doubt me and think it is not possible for me to get hired, but I am hoping for some helpful direction.

Comment

So you are NOT understanding that suicidal ideation with a firearm and a history of alcohol abuse is something not conducive to being a cop..?

Comment

My termination is the result of one bad night, off duty, where I got highly intoxicated (most I have ever been) and after a verbal argument with my significant other, expressed suicidal ideation buy holding a weapon to my head.
            Excessive alcohol consumption, relationship problems, domestic violence, firearms offenses, and suicidal gestures.

Dude, you check ALL the boxes for the most common issues plaguing police officers.

No LE agency is going to give you a "second chance". You're lucky you got a first. Do yourself a favor and find a less stressful career.

Comment

Apply to a Code Compliance / Enforcement officer position. Or try TSA and what not.
              "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

Yeah man, I think it's time to hang it up. People with suicidal ideations and alcohol problems should not be armed and in positions of authority over others in a law enforcement capacity. Time to find a new career. As brutal as it is, as an HR person, I would absolutely not hire you.

Comment

Good Evening,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I am state certified law enforcement officer with 8 months until my certification lapses. I have applied to approximately 75 departments in Michigan and Washington State. I have only received two interviews thus far, both ending in rejections. I have also received dozens of rejections (without interviews) from other departments I applied for. The reason for the rejections is likely due my prior termination. Even with glowing recommendations from previous command staff and officers, and exemplary performance reviews from my three years as an officer, I have been unable to secure a job back in law enforcement.

My termination is the result of one bad night, off duty, where I got highly intoxicated (most I have ever been) and after a verbal argument with my significant other, I expressed suicidal ideation by holding a weapon to my head. I never threatened anyone but myself and no physical altercation took place. I was cooperative with responding officers and I was never charged criminally for being in possession of a weapon intoxicated (weapon was put away prior to police arrival). I sought help and counseling to address the issues I had been burying for so long. I have been cleared to return to law enforcement by doctors and therapists and eliminated the underlying issues that caused the incident. I don't have any alcohol abuse issues and no history of disciplinary action taken against me prior to this incident.

I have no criminal history and no previous mental health issues. Yet I am having an extremely difficult time finding a job, I understand I look like a huge liability, but I am not, and I just need a department to give me a second chance. I am currently in Michigan and have applied to almost every agency within 60-90 minutes of me. I also applied to dozens of agencies in Washington State as a lateral transfer. I am not having any luck and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions reference agencies in any state that are more likely to give second chances (preferably a state that I can transfer my Michigan MCOLES license easily or with little required academy time). I have a passion for law enforcement and can't imagine myself doing anything else. I appreciate any advice or agency recommendations. Thank you for your time
                  Sir, you seem like a nice guy. So I’m going to give it to you straight. Find another profession. You are done with LE. Especially in the environment that LE exists in today. I know it’s tough to hear. I know it’s not what you want to hear, but it is what it is. Move on. In life there are consequences for bad decisions. In this situation it’s the end of your sworn LE career. Honestly, it’s probably not a bad thing. Local LE these days, especially under a potential total Democratic takeover of the US Government, isn’t going to be a fun or rewarding place to work. In life it’s not how many times you fall, it’s how you pick yourself up again. Being delusional about getting a sworn LE job after what you posted here is not picking up and moving on, it’s picking up and trying to run backwards. Move forward and count your blessings.

Comment

Making it as simple as possible, you were separated from a position under circumstances where you are not eligible for rehire. That is grounds for automatic DQ in almost all civil service employment and not just that of law enforcement. This fact has been reinforced by your numerous DQs. It's time to look outside of government for another job.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

With a history like that, Im not so sure you could even get into local or state government in a non LE position. Maybe find work with a federal contractor, but you would have an uphill battle trying to mitigate all of that for a clearance.

Also stop with the double speak "I don't have alcohol issues, but here was time I got intoxicated the most i've ever been and this happened". This is the same kind of nonsense statement people on supervision feed to Parole Officers at my office all the time. This leads me to believe you would previously get intoxicated every so often, but not to the point that resulted in the issue you listed in your post. You clearly have issues, however they are in the past.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                        Winter_Patriot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It may be in the past, but from a legal and liability standpoint, it's a big deal in terms of mental health or substance abuse. I prosecuted similar cases for a year. We committed people for far less than a suicide threat with a gun. It's almost almost always a mental health or substance abuse disorder, or both. Even if it was just one incident.

Lathire88 , man you don't need any one here preaching to you but here's to hoping you got the help you needed man.

Now on to your post. I'm going to say (and I never say this) it will be literally IMPOSSSIBLE for you to get a law enforcement job with an incident like that on your record. No municipality, county, state, federal or any other entity is going to take on an employee in a position of trust with that kind of incident on their record. If you were to hear this from a management perspective and look at it objectively I think you know in your heart you wouldn't hire you either. In this day and age with so much negativity surrounding law enforcement they don't need another potential liability. Couple that with in certain circumstances a defense attorney (if allowed) would tear you up on the stand with an incident like that on your record.

I do not say that to be cruel or mean spirited but we have to give it to you straight. I would take the time and energy you are using on this forum and to apply to LEO jobs, to apply to something that is actually attainable. Security work, private investigator, etc etc etc. Continuing down this path is a waste of your time and energy. Best of luck man.

Comment

I am not having any luck and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions reference agencies in any state that are more likely to give second chances

No need to rent a Uhaul when you have Highland Park or Inkster and the tribal PDs up north.

No one likes change but a wet baby.

Mark Twain

Comment

• Ratatatat
                          Ratatatat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The cold hard truth is you are probably done in LE. What's your Plan B in life?

• Ratatatat
                          Ratatatat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And I saw DKSecurity was hiring former LEOs for exec protection work at $30/hour. That's decent cheddar.

• Aidokea
                          Aidokea commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'd be really surprised if any private security company was willing to take him on after getting fired for what he did...

Unfortunately I think many jobs (LE, security, etc) will be out of the question. Can’t expect an employer to trust/assume liability of an employee in that type of capacity if they have a history of what you mentioned above. I realize it may have been an isolated incident, but it only has to happen once for it to be considered ‘history.’

Comment

Apply for something like BOP federal. Application would probably be kicked but if it were to happen, it would be a job like BOP that doesn't have a security clearance or national security mission.
                          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                            Winter_Patriot commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm not sure it's a good idea for him to be in a position where he's armed or might need to use force on someone, but another idea is local probation. I've applied to some agencies that didn't do extensive reference checks or a mental health screening.

• vc859
                            vc859 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Some investigative positions (both limited commission sworn and non-sworn) may be the same. I know several that don't do any psych exams (usually they are unarmed) and have just a generic reference check type of background

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4365 users online. 293 members and 4072 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X