300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• applying for law enforcement and had some questions

I was in the marines for boot camp in 2002 and at the time I had a heart condition I didnt know about. I had palpitations while in bootcamp and the corp men thought that I was having nervousness and I was given an entry level seperation. It falls under general honorable conditions. A couple of years later I had another heart related issue and then found out about my condition. I had it taken care of and im cleared for everything by my dr.

I passed the cjbat with a 94 and the agilitys test and swim test. Now im worried that the discharge will hurt me.

they say that only dishonorable discharges will hurt you. Am I ok?

I'm sure your discharge will not be an issue. If you have anything to worry about it would be the medical exam. Even though your doctor clears you, it is up to the PD's doctor as to whether or not you are cleared and meet their medical standards. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by FutureTrooper28 View Post
      I'm sure your discharge will not be an issue. If you have anything to worry about it would be the medical exam. Even though your doctor clears you, it is up to the PD's doctor as to whether or not you are cleared and meet their medical standards. Good luck!
      it wont be its a simple surgery that i needed to corrected im ok for the rest of my life now.

also another issue I have is I dont have a member 4 copy of my dd214 because it was destroyed in katrina. I do however have a member 2 copy with a stamp from the hall of records. Every one says dd214 member 4 copy but I was told from the hall of records that member 2 is acceptable too.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmyz View Post
        it wont be its a simple surgery that i needed to corrected im ok for the rest of my life now.

also another issue I have is I dont have a member 4 copy of my dd214 because it was destroyed in katrina. I do however have a member 2 copy with a stamp from the hall of records. Every one says dd214 member 4 copy but I was told from the hall of records that member 2 is acceptable too.
        I'm not sure where you going to apply, but all Departments in Texas require a copy of the Member-4, it is the only one that shows the character of service, re code, and the type of discharge. if you need one go to http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html, you can request the member 4 online through that website.

Semper Fi
        "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

Originally posted by MarineVet89 View Post
          I'm not sure where you going to apply, but all Departments in Texas require a copy of the Member-4, it is the only one that shows the character of service, re code, and the type of discharge. if you need one go to http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html, you can request the member 4 online through that website.

Semper Fi
          i noticed that my member 2 showed the recode type of discharge and character of service

Comment

Questions

I feel that the heart problem you described could be a larger potential problem than your manner of seperation from the Corps. If the heart problem has since been corrected, you're probably good to go. One cautionary note though. The department's Doctor will have the final say relative to your medical fitness. Best of luck. Semper Fi.

Comment

i looked at the memeber 2 and the memeber 4 and they are exactly the same does any one know the diff

Comment

i looked at the memeber 2 and the memeber 4 and they are exactly the same does any one know the diff
                You need a copy of your "member 4". Without it will not indicate what type of discharge you had. You can obtain this througha variety of sources that are out there. Any LE I know of require Member 4.
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                  You need a copy of your "member 4". Without it will not indicate what type of discharge you had. You can obtain this througha variety of sources that are out there. Any LE I know of require Member 4.
                  I just went to a freinds house and looked at the two discharged together and the member 2 is a certified copy of the member 4 with a stamp from the hall of records. It shows the type of discharge and I called the hall of records and told them what you guys have been telling me and they said that your confusing the member 2 with the member 1 copy which doesnt list any of that stuff the member 2 is an exact copy of the member 3 stamped and certified by the hall of records

Comment

Let me pull out my DD-214... I have a Member-4 form and a Member-1 form. When I got hired onto LVMPD, I gave them these two forms and they made copies of it. I don't know if this helps =/. The discharge will not hurt you. It didn't hurt me. A DD214 probably helps because it shows that you did enter the military. Unfortunately due to reasons beyond your control, you had to be discharged. That isn't your fault.

Due to an injury sustained in training, I was discharged as well. Under Type of separation it says entry level separation. However, for my primary specialty, it says 9900 basic Marine. Did you go to Parris Island? Hehe. I went to MCRD San Diego. Ah the memories.
                    Complete write up of the process with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) - http://forums.officer.com/t187923/

Comment

I just went to a freinds house and looked at the two discharged together and the member 2 is a certified copy of the member 4 with a stamp from the hall of records. It shows the type of discharge and I called the hall of records and told them what you guys have been telling me and they said that your confusing the member 2 with the member 1 copy which doesnt list any of that stuff the member 2 is an exact copy of the member 3 stamped and certified by the hall of records
                      That is all fine, however LE agencies must have the Member 4 copy.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Voirdire View Post
                        Let me pull out my DD-214... I have a Member-4 form and a Member-1 form. When I got hired onto LVMPD, I gave them these two forms and they made copies of it. I don't know if this helps =/. The discharge will not hurt you. It didn't hurt me. A DD214 probably helps because it shows that you did enter the military. Unfortunately due to reasons beyond your control, you had to be discharged. That isn't your fault.

Due to an injury sustained in training, I was discharged as well. Under Type of separation it says entry level separation. However, for my primary specialty, it says 9900 basic Marine. Did you go to Parris Island? Hehe. I went to MCRD San Diego. Ah the memories.
                        i had a heart condition I didnt know about till I got there all fixed now surgery ftw

as for the member 2 and member 4 debate. I talked to a couple of law enforcement departments and they all said they accept the member 2

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3479 users online. 181 members and 3298 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X