Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Follow Ups -1811 Jobs

Hello all,

Has anyone had any positive outcomes with medical follow ups? I disclosed during a medical examination that I consulted a psychiatrist for possible ADHD. I only went approximately 3 times 4 years ago. Additionally, the initial spirometry I took showed that I had a "minor obstruction" in my lungs.

I had to complete follow ups for both.

1. I was re-evaluated by a psychiatrist and the assessment was that I have no symptoms of ADHD. I will receive the doctor's report where it will say that I have no mental health conditions.
    2. As requested, the spirometry was completed again, this time by a pneumologist. My lung function was normal this time. Based on what my doctor said, it seems the test was administered incorrectly where I had my initial medical examination. He provided me with a report that says I will have no issues performing any of the duties of an 1811.

Could these "medical clearances", if you will, be enough to pass the medical examination?

Has anyone had similar issues?

I had to go through follow ups for a couple positions. The best advice I got was to provided detailed documentation from your doc regarding any condition. I followed that advice and have been cleared for duty. As long as it doesn't interfere with duties and your doc signs off on it you should be good.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      The more documentation you can provide up front, the better. I got ahead of a few minor (non-disqualifying) issues by getting my chart notes and letters from my doctors. The more info you can give the medical/reviewing doctor at the outset, the less likely you are to get flagged and delayed later.

That said, IF the reviewing doctor wants more info than what you've already provided, they may want the info in a very specific format and require certain types of info that you wouldn't get in a normal doctor's note. If you send in a pre-emptive letter from your personal doctor, it's very possible they reviewing doctor will throw it away or disregard it. That's what the doctor who did my FOH medical told me anyway.

I don't think it hurts to be ahead of the curve and plan ahead, but don't be surprised if the reviewing doctor wants more than what you give them up front.

Easy1383 Agree with you. As long as you can physically do the job there's no reason for you to get disqualified in the physical portion. There are stories out there of the contractor doc getting a little overzealous and dq'ing people without giving them the opportunity to provide paperwork to show that he/she was wrong and the person can do the job as declared by their treating physician.They petitioned the agency and everything worked out.

Another misconception is mental health. As long as you haven't been treated for trying to eat your pistol most things can be worked through. Tongue and cheek obviously but you get what I am saying.

Comment

Last edited by Lrs2247; 02-22-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoliKenpo View Post
        Hello all,

Has anyone had any positive outcomes with medical follow ups? I disclosed during a medical examination that I consulted a psychiatrist for possible ADHD. I only went approximately 3 times 4 years ago. Additionally, the initial spirometry I took showed that I had a "minor obstruction" in my lungs.

I had to complete follow ups for both.

1. I was re-evaluated by a psychiatrist and the assessment was that I have no symptoms of ADHD. I will receive the doctor's report where it will say that I have no mental health conditions.
        2. As requested, the spirometry was completed again, this time by a pneumologist. My lung function was normal this time. Based on what my doctor said, it seems the test was administered incorrectly where I had my initial medical examination. He provided me with a report that says I will have no issues performing any of the duties of an 1811.

Could these "medical clearances", if you will, be enough to pass the medical examination?

Has anyone had similar issues?
        There can be a disconnect between the actual job requirements and how the doctor interprets/applies the requirements to your situation.

I had a bit of a nightmare with my agency. I was flagged for being colorblind, but colorblindness is not a job requirement. You only need to be able to distinguish basic colors for US Probation. At the FOH medical, I was given a basic color test and passed it. I failed the Ishihari plate test before that, which I always fail. The FOH MD concluded that I was able to perform the job duties without limitation, based on passing the basic color test. I also had a letter from my primary care doctor and eye doctor stating the same thing.

The reviewing doctor in DC thought I couldn't perform the job duties and required me to take an advanced colorblindness test, which I knew I couldn't pass, because I'm colorblind. I contacted the doctor and asked them to reconsider the flag, since color vision wasn't one of the job requirements. No response. I ended up going to three different optometrists at my own expense. I practiced and memorized the test until I could pass it.

I got cleared a day later. But if I failed it, I wonder if I would have been dropped from the process, even though it would have been in error. I wouldn't underestimate the ability of a bureaucrat doctor somewhere to get things wrong. Document everything you can.
        Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 12-13-2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I had to do a follow up reference my LASIK and my Achilles surgery. Just had the doctor write a letter saying I was good to go and could perform the duties needed (i was in LE during the process).

Comment

• NoliKenpo
            NoliKenpo commented
            Editing a comment
            Were you cleared for a federal law enforcement position?

NoliKenpo yes i did.

Comment

That’s good to know. Hopefully I can get cleared. The doctors are saying I have no medical conditions.

Comment

Does anyone have any insight on how long does the medical follow up/medical review take with the USSS?

I am not a vet.

Comment

Last edited by Lrs2247; 02-18-2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I got the call for my 1811 job despite having to submit a medical follow up!

Comment

Congrats man. If you have any general questions about FLETC or CITP feel free to DM me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4317 users online. 229 members and 4088 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X