Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m back-wish I’d known

Hi all-

Current 1811 equivalent if that gives you a hint of my employer. Was active here back 2011-13ish looking for somewhere to get on. I got on in 13. Looking to transfer has brought me back to the forums. I just wanted to make clear for new hires as I guess the notes here weren’t clear enough for my thick skull....despite the decent advice on here about taking your first tolerable federal/1811 offer and not holding out forever...you need to realize how quickly you need to jump ship.

im a 13 and would love to transfer but every single agency I’d like doesn’t allow you to keep your 13 and in fact dump you to a 7 or 9 despite being an 1811, masters or anything.

Just wanted a post to make it very clear

This vague post has me VERY interested!

Comment

im a 13 and would love to transfer but every single agency I’d like doesn’t allow you to keep your 13 and in fact dump you to a 7 or 9 despite being an 1811
      HSI laterals at 12. So do a few OIGs and smaller outfits like EPA.

But, alas. Who you like is who you like. Life is full of conflicting choices, such as do I stay with my current employer (whom I disdain) and remain a 13, or do I transfer to my dream agency and drop a grade or two for a couple of years? My former 1811 co-workers in my local large and violent American city would call this a "suburban person problem".

If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

-George S. Patton

Comment

Suck it up man. You're a criminal investigator. It's the most sought after profession in L.E. and many on here won't make it for one reason or another. I'm a vet with a masters who's currently a civilian desk jockey in a job I don't like very much. I have the full realization that, despite all the applications I put in, there is a decent chance I will not land a single one and will have to make the decision to eventually give up on this dream and "sell out" to go where the money is in my civilian sector line of work. What I'd give to be in your shoes as an 1811 who has a shot at his dream agency and all I'll be giving up is a couple pay grades which I'll make back anyway.

Comment

• Calitown
          Calitown commented
          Editing a comment
          Most sought after profession in L.E.? I'm not too sure about that one.

• scotty_appleton814
          scotty_appleton814 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with this comment. Don't know if I agree with that sentiment.

• reddead24
          reddead24 commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess it's subjective...I always thought the most sought after position in LE was state police... lol maybe thats just in the north east.

I wasn’t going for a woe is me-simply trying to share a lesson learned. I am beyond thankful for my job and Ratatat is correct I misspoke HSI does do 12 laterals but as of my last check it is a mandatory move to make that happen- again very difficult for those a few years in with a working spouse/kids.

I did not mean to sound woe is me. Simply a lesson learned that I hoped to share especially for those that come from military or local LE and maybe don’t speak OPM as well as those working their way to 1811 from another 1800 series job.

For me-I would prefer the violent city work, my agency does allow for some violent crime cases and they have been my favorite. I simply caution folks that you need to jump soon and quick if that agency isn’t for you...lateralling isn’t as easy as some might expect.

1811 is a great world- but I think folks should be clear eyed about pros and cons at each agency. The true day to day varies so widely and I think in some cases and for some folks being just a fraud guy or a dope guy etc isn’t what they hope to do forever.

Comment

• NoliKenpo
          NoliKenpo commented
          Editing a comment
          Winter_Patriot:

I don’t have prior LEO or military experience.

In the application questionnaires, DON’T be modest. It might ask “have you performed X task?”. You must answer in a way that, without unnecessarily inflating your credentials and lying, actually makes you look good. Sell yourself.

I would advise you to go to USAJobs, look for the FBI Special Agent announcement, and download their resume template.

Then, look online how to properly prepare the FBI resume. Look for the FBI core competencies and make sure you demonstrate them in the resume with real, particular, examples for EACH competency. The FBI website actually asks you to do this. Use the STAR method. It will take some time. It might seem like you are writing a lot (a good story has about 8-10 sentenced), but this is how it works. Your resume might be 5-6 pages long. This fine.

The FBI resume should work for any other 1811 job. You might have to tweak it, but maybe mot much.

I have done this and have gotten noticed by DEA, USSS, and the FBI.

• Levithane
          Levithane commented
          Editing a comment
          Winter_Patriot as you're finding out you can be very qualified and still not get referred for an interview for certain jobs. Like what NoliKenpo said its about how you word your resume. you shouldn't oversell yourself, but at the end of the day your file gets reviewed by an actual person at some point down the road. Since you have a law degree you could be put in the category of "overqualified". Meaning they'll look at your application, and speculate there's a high chance you won't stick around.

On the topic of clearances, I posted it on here before but it doesn't mean much from the military. Thats not to throw shade or be disrespectful, but the military is very liberal with how they give them out. Granted I just wrote the reports I was required to with no questions asked, but some of the things I had to look into made me blink twice. You can be cleared for the military, but not good to go to work at FBI or DEA or one of the other agencies. I got a COL for an 1811 position at a higher pay grade than I thought I was worth, its definitely dependent on how you write your resume and present yourself if given the opportunity to interview.

• parkscout93
          parkscout93 commented
          Editing a comment
          Winter_Patriot Since you’re a Nasty Girl, try reaching out to the closest USO to you and see if they have federal resume writing classes. The one at Fort Belvoir seems to have one every month or two, plus I saw one hosted online just last week.

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do -- thanks to you both for the solid, practical advice. I need to start describing my experience in a less dry, overly-modest way. I see what you mean about that.

Good luck! I’m sure with your qualifications it will eventually work out. In my area, USMS is an awesome place to work. Even starting out riding pine, they’re able to pick up fugitive cases after hours and what not.

Comment

Assuming you came on as a 7/9, with seven years on and the time to get to your 13, I'm guessing you're a 13/3ish. Even if you busted to a 9/10, the pay cut isn't horrible and you lose basically one step of progress at your current pay.

The 9/10 sucks, but a year later you get your 11/10, which is 85% of a 13/3 pay. You're made whole when you get your 12, and then you should get +1 step when you make 13 again, which offsets the 2 steps you would have gained in the same time period staying where you are, by 1.

It sounds like you're miserable where you are, so sucking it up for one year, and then taking a 15% pay cut for a second year should easily outweigh whatever it is that is ailing you where you are.

Like rat mentioned above, HSI has been taking laterals over as 12s but only recently and for their hard to fill locations; SAC San Juan PR, San Fran, and Honolulu. HSI used to do straight laterals but hasn't for years, so this is a rare opportunity they've presented for a few short job announcements. Jump on it.

And I'm not speaking from a high chair looking down on you, I've busted down from journeyman pay levels (12+) three times; once to a flat 7/10 (No LEAP), a 9, got back up to 12, and 9 again. But it was all worth while, as I now have an excellent rest-of-my-career position in my #1 choice location which is a desirable location for FLEO, one that when small talking with other agents from other agencies durings ops or lunch, many say they are putting in for despite never having lived there or even visited. Point being is you are likely going to have to take the jump into the cold waters of a pay cut, but the longer you wait, the worse it'll be and the unhappier you'll get in your current situation.

That's my 0.02, which won't buy you anything.
          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Current 1811 here. For all those people saying they would "kill" for ANY 1811 job, I suggest you do your research and be careful what you wish for. 1811 positions offer a wide (and I mean WIDE) range of experiences and work environments. Being an 1811 with FBI, ATF and DEA is like apples and oranges when you compare it to an 1811 with the National Science Foundation OIG. So it begs the question - What do you want to do? Do you like complex procurement fraud? Would you find MediCaid investigations interesting? Every applicant should be asking themselves these questions when researching an agency's mission.

I've said this many times on this message board, but, when it is all said and done, an 1811 position is a job. Believe me, I was beyond excited when I first got my creds, but after a while the things that really matter (family, where you live, hobbies, quality of life) come back into focus. No job should define you. If you think you would be happy doing procurement and grant fraud have at it. If you think you would be happy living in Presidio, TX for the foreseeable future then god speed. If you take a position in a crappy location doing work you aren't that interested in, it will come back to bite you once the "allure" of being an 1811 has passed.

My .02. If you shotgun applications I would limit it to places where you are truly interested in the mission and the position is located in a place you would want to call home for the foreseeable future (obviously the latter doesn't apply if you are in the pipeline for FBI or DS).

Comment

• AGInvestigator
              AGInvestigator commented
              Editing a comment
              My mentor started out as a U.S. Probation Officer. You will get experience writing reports and interacting with the court system. Both excellent experiences for a future 1811 career. Great place to start and, like you said, it stops the clock.

• nonotnow
              nonotnow commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with you. People here say "take what you can get" or "be thankful" uh F that. Its a job. You have one life, wanna work a job for 20 years you hate? Have fun with that. The govt doesn't give a flying f about you. And there's plenty of other jobs that pay well. It's America, not Russia.

• Winter_Patriot
              Winter_Patriot commented
              Editing a comment
              I appreciate the input. The way the timing works out, I have a conditional offer with US Probation (pending a medical review) and I'm probably a year out from having any final offer for an 1811 position. Sounds like US Probation is a good place to start with, and maybe I'll end up staying long term.

• reddead24
              reddead24 commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree 100% with you. I was an MP for 6 years and loved it, but wanted to try 1811 route. When I reached a fork in the road of either going to the NY State Police or 1811 I decided to take the 1811 position. After the first year, the novelty wore off, I did it for 3 more years and decided it wasn't for me. Now I'm back to being a uniformed cop in a federal agency, with an awesome schedule that works well for my family and the job is a lot of fun. Don't get me wrong, the agency has some flaws and it is definitely a challenge-now more than ever-being a uniformed cop, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

NYC1175

No problem. I needed to clarify. Good luck to you in hiring. And good advice to Winter Patriot for sure.

battlewagon- greatly appreciate the well written out info. You’re right I am a 13-3. Unfortunately for me-I’ve got kids that an ex moved away and a step child tied to the state I am in so for me personally a move just isn’t possible. HSI would definitely be in my top 2-3 if I could stay local.

For me personally- I would like somewhere like HSI due to breadth. Where I am currently, I don’t hate it-just would like a better case mix. But that’s perfect world stuff and lucky to have the job.

Comment

AGInvestigator great advice

Comment

My first civil boss told me to do the job for a year and then decide if I wanted to do it for a while because if not it's best to make the change earlier and not take the hit going backwards in a new career field. That was sound advice but it still took me 3.5 years from that one year point to get into a job that I wanted better.

Comment

Originally posted by AF21811 View Post
                  NYC1175

No problem. I needed to clarify. Good luck to you in hiring. And good advice to Winter Patriot for sure.

battlewagon- greatly appreciate the well written out info. You’re right I am a 13-3. Unfortunately for me-I’ve got kids that an ex moved away and a step child tied to the state I am in so for me personally a move just isn’t possible. HSI would definitely be in my top 2-3 if I could stay local.

For me personally- I would like somewhere like HSI due to breadth. Where I am currently, I don’t hate it-just would like a better case mix. But that’s perfect world stuff and lucky to have the job.
                  Man between estimating your pay tand guessing the final jeopardy answer off nothing but the category tonight ('Historical Documents', answer Magna Carta), I need to go buy a lottery ticket. Of course the only person who heard me guess final jeopardy off the category was my dog, so might as well be a big fish fishing story; it never happened.

No problemo. HSI is doing direct hires nowadays, where the SAC region can hire people directly. Those are the standard 9 announcements but they work. I have many friends who have been hired straight to the inland SAC office that covers their hometown, much to the dismay of agents stuck on the border, but that is definitely a good deal.

Not being able to move is going to be tough as you know unless you are in a major metro or border area.

Also, what about when you have to go to FLETC for CITP and probably an academy add on, will you have coverage for the kids? Keep in mind FLETC often gets extended long periods, whether rona, the nearly every year tropical storm that hits northern FL and south GA and floods it, getting sent home during the end of the fiscal year every time budget lapses with no CR, and other issues. My second time there ended up being 8+ months. Sent away for 2 weeks due to hurricane and then three times for federal budget not being approved and training shutting down. I think they resolved that so training doesn't shut down on budget approvals anymore, maybe, but either way delays happen. All things to consider before you get to the point of receiving a job offer.
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

AF21811 Could be worse. You could be getting out of the military right now and still not have a job lined up, during a pandemic. At least being employed while you’re looking for your next job keeps you on your feet.

Comment

Haha. Are u USSS? Those are the only guys I see hating 1811 life that bad. Well take that back also Air Force CID. I was USSS then lateraled to OIG. Good schedule and location but feels little small time vs larger agency.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                        scotty_appleton814 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Air Force OSI
                        Or Army CID

• Black Ops
                        Black Ops commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ah ok. It was Air Force my buddy was in that he hated.

Random thoughts...

When you retire at age 50 you will mostly forget the sucky times and grin the first of the month when your phat annuity deposit magically arrives.

Most of your friends will be jealous of you, as you go golfing and fishing everyday and they head off to work until becoming social security eligible at age 62.

There is no such thing as a dream job in 1811 world. The grass isn't greener, just brown everywhere. That said, there are agencies who treat their people better than others.

After you retire, you'll be mostly forgotten by the people you worked with, and that's a good thing, because only the DBs are talked about five years after they're gone.

After you retire, your career of 1,000 memories will become one amorphous blur which you won't think about much.

In the end, when your ashes are scattered in a mountain meadow or your corpse is put in the cold earth, no one will be impressed with your title and who you worked for but only that you did the right thing for those you loved.

If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

-George S. Patton

Comment

• izamsilas
                        izamsilas commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Damn...well said. I've been busted down and around through my fair share of agencies, closing in on my 20 years. I can't wait to be forgotten! It can't come soon enough. I just wish I had done better with my retirement, but it is what I made it.

• OutofRoll
                        OutofRoll commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Man this was well written. Man it is Thanksgiving all I need now is some hot coco a fire place and life all good. +10 for positive but great for an eye opening reality post.

• Shadowtrain
                        Shadowtrain commented
                        Editing a comment
                        100000% agreed. It's all different shades of brown. I did my time of busting down and trying other things. Wasn't the most efficient route, but I got to a place with good management, interesting casework, and most importantly for me... work-life balance.

• Bidstar
                        Bidstar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow I gotta say I’m very glad I came across this comment. I’m an applicant and I think I’m putting too much energy trying to get a spot in one of these jobs I need to remain myself that at the end of the day is still a job. Thank you sir.
                        Last edited by Bidstar; 12-26-2020, 07:03 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6818 users online. 353 members and 6465 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X