Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIH Police or Veterans Affairs Police

Hello Everyone!

I’m in a good dilemma but need a little help and/or guidance. I’ve been given final offers for a police officer position with NIH in Bethesda, MD as a GS-7 step 9 and will be receiving 10% retention bonus on top of my salary. I was told during my interviewing process, with my tactical background and being an instructor they would like to utilize me in their training division and also help get their tactical unit back up and running ( all word of mouth, nothing in writing though). I have also received an offer from the VA for supervisory police officer position (Lieutenant) as a GS-08 step 7 in WA. Both have the same start date and I will have go to training for both. NIH which is at FLETC (had a break in service) and VA which does it’s own in house academy. Now I really don’t know too much about each agency as far as growth and upward mobility, but I must say NIH does look promising. I decided to come on here, because some of you might have work for each agency and/or have family or friends that have. I just need some opinions, advice, and guidance with my decision, I would gladly appreciate it and thank you in advance!
    FAMS

Applied: 11/29/2009
    Met Qualifications: 12/22/2009
    Contingent Offer: 12/22/2009
    Accept Offer: 12/24/2009
    Passed Criminal/Credit Check: 01/06/2010
    Assessment Battery Invite: 01/06/2010

sigpic

Run from the VA

Comment

• shyn504
      shyn504 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol.....why should I run from the VA?

Can you give me your opinion on why I should run lol
    FAMS

Applied: 11/29/2009
    Met Qualifications: 12/22/2009
    Contingent Offer: 12/22/2009
    Accept Offer: 12/24/2009
    Passed Criminal/Credit Check: 01/06/2010
    Assessment Battery Invite: 01/06/2010

sigpic

Comment

• Anthropologist
      Anthropologist commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't speak to either position from personal experience. If I'm not mistaken, the VA officers are not covered LE positions. What about NIH police?

Two of my best friends worked for the VA (non-LE) for probably a decade and they both said it was terrible. Another one of my FLETC classmates always said to avoid the VA and had various horror stories about them.

Go NIH as they are moving into the right direction within training like you said plus I think you will earn more money with NIH. Go with NIH over VA.

Comment

No advice but will point out this is your first post in ten years.... You Sir get the blue ribbon for longest posting interim at O.com.
      What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

Option C, neither...

NIH has only 3 campuses they police, Bethesda and Ft. Detrick in MD and a facility in Columbus Montana. They're very willing to sell an officer out on any bs complaint... Several former officers I know have stated that it has become a highly political place because of covid-19.

The VA is the VA... 200 facilities and each one does it's own thing. No one can tell you if 0730 is a policy or a guideline
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Congrats, that's a good problem to have. I applied to both for NIH and VA positions. I read that NIH is the better place to be, from a career development perspective. They have specialized units, detective assignments, etc.

Did you apply for the NIH vacancy that was posted this summer?
          Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 11-23-2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• shyn1504
            shyn1504 commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you been given a start date yet?

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't get a testing or interview invite for NIH. I haven't actually heard anything since applying this summer. I assumed I probably wasn't high enough on the qualification list. It's kind of random how each agency handles hiring. I don't have former LE experience, but I still ended up testing and interviewing with the US Park Police instead this summer/fall, so that's kept my uniformed job hopes alive.

Yes I did. I actually did the PT test and interview back in June.

Comment

Ask yourself the question why NIH is hiring a lot of officers and a lot of senior officers are leaving
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• shyn1504
              shyn1504 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tell me something I don't know. This is happening with just about every agency.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3862 users online. 229 members and 3633 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X