Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Federal Agencies Recognize DoD Clearances?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Federal Agencies Recognize DoD Clearances?

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but which agencies recognize a DoD Top Secret clearance? I know FBI does their own investigations regardless, but I’m curious about DEA, USMS, HSI, etc.

USMS accepts recently adjudicated TS/Tier 5 clearances.

Comment

USMS was the only one that I was verbally told was accepting a TS/Tier 5. Granted I believe they were not accepting those through the military though. All the other agencies will run you through the same old song and dance again. They may not run a full one on you, but its at the discretion of the personnel security department.

Comment

Why don't they accept the DOD clearance if it is the same Tier 5? Are some Tier 5 more in depth than others?

Comment

Originally posted by Levithane View Post
          USMS was the only one that I was verbally told was accepting a TS/Tier 5. Granted I believe they were not accepting those through the military though. All the other agencies will run you through the same old song and dance again. They may not run a full one on you, but its at the discretion of the personnel security department.
          My TS was through the military and accepted by the USMS.

Comment

• Levithane
            Levithane commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats new then, I was told verbally they weren't accepting military ones. I went to an info session about a year ago and was told that.

• Calitown
            Calitown commented
            Editing a comment
            yep, ICE accepted mine as well. CBPO interestingly enough didn't.

You’re actually talking about two different things. A Tier V does not equal a TS clearance. You need a Tier V to be granted a TS/SCI clearance. Just because you got the TV doesn’t mean you need a clearance at all. DCSA has a chart on the website somewhere breaking this down, can’t find the link and don’t have time to dig for it.

The Tier V is good across the board, not sure of the effective date but DCSA took over BI from OPM and the NBIB was absorbed by DCSA. It would need to be pulled in and renewed though by the gaining agency. Meaning if you just got the Tier V done you’d need to update e-qip and submit it to them.

Investigations are universal in a way, clearances are granted by the agency. Example with USMS is one, recent investigations and active clearances are pulled in. CBP (and DHS) can waive the poly for Customs or Border Patrol, but you still need to submit an e-qip. Treasury will pull in your TS/SCI, but again e-qip resubmitted. Again Depending on how long it’s been since the initial or reinvestigation, then you may need a BI to do a reinvestigation.

Caveat- As mentioned a few agencies do their own investigations still but it is a small exception. E-qip is still used so your file gets pulled in to the gaining agency and you just update it and submit.
          Last edited by jwnagle; 10-27-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• illini372
            illini372 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah. Ok. My was adjudicated in December so maybe that's why I didn't have to submit an updated E-qip or anything before I got the thumb-up. Friend who was in the exact same point in the process only had a Secret and had to submit fingerprints and a E-qip.

I went to a USMS info session this month and was told that they wouldn't accept my National Guard TS clearance, but that it might make the process of another investigaiton/adjudication faster.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3908 users online. 274 members and 3634 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X