Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does having a TS/SCI help you become an 1811?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How much does having a TS/SCI help you become an 1811?

    I'm looking for some advice on my job search. This has probably been addressed in another post somewhere, but I haven't found it.

    I'm currently a local LEO at a medium size department. My goal is to become an 1811. I have eight years of experience with four as a detective. I also have a Bachelor's degree. Because of turnover, I'm now one of the most experienced detectives at my department. Basically, I'm in a position where I'm getting a lot of good experience that I think will help me with achieving my goal.

    However, I've been applying for various federal positions for a couple years now, but there hasn't been much movement on the processes. Most of the time, I don't hear anything at all.

    There is a DOD facility near my city that posted an opening for police officers recently. I applied and got an email to set up an interview for next week. I'm not guaranteed to get the job obviously, but I think I would be highly competitive. The job requires you to obtain a TS/SCI, which I imagine would be a good resume booster for me. Unfortunately, the job would also be a pretty sizable pay cut, and it would be a step down in terms of responsibilities and investigative experience from where I am now. It's a GG-6 grade, which I think is pretty low.

    The other issue for me is the DOD position already asked me to send professional references and tell them to expect to be contacted. Supervision in my department does not take very kindly to people applying elsewhere, and it could lead to me losing future opportunities if I stay where I am.

    So basically my question is whether getting a TS/SCI would make me much more competitive towards getting an 1811 job or should I keep gaining experience where I am? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Question is whether getting a TS/SCI would make me much more competitive towards getting an 1811 job
    Answer: not really.

    Level of clearance isn't a ranking factor for new hires.

    Plus... most 1811 jobs don't require that level of clearance.

    should I keep gaining experience where I am
    I would think long and hard about leaving a detective position for a GS-6 DOD job. Huge drop in pay, in responsibility, in nearly everything.

    Consider this: you leave, with dreams of being an 1811, but for whatever reason those dreams don't work out- you will spend the rest of your career on the lowest rung in fed le.

    Stay put and be patient.
    What does not kill you will likely try again.

    Comment


    • fraudcop
      fraudcop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply. I've been hearing the same thing pretty much everywhere I've asked. Seems like I should stay put.

  • #3
    Also remember there's a very good chance youll have to relocate. Possibly to an undesirable location. You ready to do that? And I agree with Ratatatata. Having a TS clearance does squat. I had one and im pretty sure they didn't a rats as s.

    Comment


    • fraudcop
      fraudcop commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually for this job there would be basically no chance of having to relocate. This particular DOD police agency is only located here.

      But yeah, everyone I've heard from is saying it wouldn't be worth it.

    • nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      But if you want 1811, almost all expect you to relocate.

  • #4
    Doesn't seem like a TS will help you if you don't have the investigative experience.

    Not exactly in your situation but here's another data point. I have a TS from the National Guard and it's done nothing to help me land an interview, or even be referred to the hiring committee. I've probably applied to 20 1811 jobs and only traction I've had is with the IRS CID. I don't have sworn law enforcement experience, but have been a prosecutor / lawyer for seven years, with most of the last two years being warrants and investigative work on fraud cases. A few years ago I thought that a TS and intel experience might translate over to 1811 applications, and so I enlisted as an intel analyst. I would have been better off getting my foot in the door with a local or federal uniformed position.
    Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 10-15-2020, 02:25 PM.

    Comment


    • #5
      Originally posted by fraudcop View Post
      I'm looking for some advice on my job search. This has probably been addressed in another post somewhere, but I haven't found it.

      I'm currently a local LEO at a medium size department. My goal is to become an 1811. I have eight years of experience with four as a detective. I also have a Bachelor's degree. Because of turnover, I'm now one of the most experienced detectives at my department. Basically, I'm in a position where I'm getting a lot of good experience that I think will help me with achieving my goal.

      However, I've been applying for various federal positions for a couple years now, but there hasn't been much movement on the processes. Most of the time, I don't hear anything at all.

      There is a DOD facility near my city that posted an opening for police officers recently. I applied and got an email to set up an interview for next week. I'm not guaranteed to get the job obviously, but I think I would be highly competitive. The job requires you to obtain a TS/SCI, which I imagine would be a good resume booster for me. Unfortunately, the job would also be a pretty sizable pay cut, and it would be a step down in terms of responsibilities and investigative experience from where I am now. It's a GG-6 grade, which I think is pretty low.

      The other issue for me is the DOD position already asked me to send professional references and tell them to expect to be contacted. Supervision in my department does not take very kindly to people applying elsewhere, and it could lead to me losing future opportunities if I stay where I am.

      So basically my question is whether getting a TS/SCI would make me much more competitive towards getting an 1811 job or should I keep gaining experience where I am? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      You may want to look at positions with USSS-UD, USPP, US Cap Police. I'm partway into the USPP hiring process and it seems like it'd be a good agency to work for until you can find an 1811 position. Some people are able to apply internally for 1811 jobs with the USPP and I hear those are good gigs.

      Comment


      • #6
        Full disclosure I'm not an 1811, but I am a federal employee and was in the job hunt not long ago and have many friends in the federal govt. That said, I would concur with the above.

        Having a TS/SCI can be of benefit in getting jobs, but it's mainly going to be attractive to IC orgs that for the most part don't have many 1811 positions (aside from the FBI & DEA). The other factor to consider is that for now, a DoD TS/SCI won't transfer to FBI and some other orgs, they will still do an entire background check of their own for Govt employees even if you're already cleared with a polygraph (CTRs can be different, I've seen some much looser rules in the CTR scenario). So in some ways it doesn't matter as far as clearances are concerned.

        Where I've heard of folks doing something similar to you is those with unique skill-sets that take a lesser job to grab a clearance and then hop right over to a well-payed contractor job in the IC/USG. Or certainly folks in the military will sometimes orient their career to grab a clearance prior to leaving the military for a civilian job afterwards. Depending on the specifics, it can expedite the process (within the DoD is the easiest for that based on experience and knowing others' experiences).

        I would not take a GS-06 job, even if it's cleared, unless someone is a recent college grad just hoping to get a first job in LE (or you're just hoping to grab the clearance and then quickly hop to a contractor gig somewhere to get some IC experience). Most of those cleared police jobs from what I've been told also cap out quickly and thus promotion opportunities are severely limited.

        Comment


        • #7
          I would also look at graduate school and or language studies. You already have plenty of LE/investigative experience so it might help diversify your CV.

          The only other big factor is veteran's preference. It's because of that in my experience it's difficult to get a 1811 job from USAjobs (or really any fed job on USAjobs aside from internships). The USAjobs system just eliminates a lot of good candidates because the way the algorithm works regarding weight towards vets preference. Seems like nowadays a lot of IC and other fed orgs have moved away from it and hire other ways (Ex: CIA, FBI, NSA, & DIA all don't use USAjobs for applications).

          Comment


          • #8
            Originally posted by fraudcop View Post
            So basically my question is whether getting a TS/SCI would make me much more competitive towards getting an 1811 job or should I keep gaining experience where I am? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
            Don't leave your current position for a non-1811 federal job. Just keep gaining investigative experience, go to as many specialized trainings as possible, etc. I was a local detective before getting hired into an 1811 position. It took me over a year of applying and waiting around before I even received an interview invite. But the first agency I interviewed with offered me a position. Be patient.

            Comment


            • #9
              The short answer to your question is a TS/SCI doesn't make you a more attractive candidate in and of itself. It seems like the DOD position is definitely a poor choice for you. As a local detective who became an 1811, I will tell that your best bet to landing an 1811 gig is to network with federal agents/supervisors in your area. Become a task force officer if you can. This is one of the best ways to get hired because people who work within the agencies you are applying to know who you are and personally recommend you for hire. This is most effective for agencies who use Schedule B hiring or direct hire processes. ATF and DEA are on Schedule B and HSI uses alot of direct hire. All are great agencies. Good luck!

              Comment


              • #10
                Short answer...stay where you are and continue building upon your local experience. Keep applying.

                Comment


                • #11
                  Stay far away from DoD.

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    It's going to depend what sort of job you have while holding the TS/Tier 5 investigation, thats what will make you competitive. The police job you told us about on here probably won't get you very far in terms of kudos points with an agency. Yeah you'll have a TS, but the job duties are probably the equivalent to LEO jobs that require a secret.

                    One thing I haven't seen people mention is that people can get picked up after working in a contract/contractor capacity for an agency. IE being an interpreter or doing some form of work for them. I recently got a COL for an investigator position from an agency that I did work for occasionally when I was employed by a Fed contractor, had/still have a TS that was conducted within the 5 year window. Im a state employee now, but I would be lying if holding that job didn't help at all. I would have been totally happy with the lower paygrade, but to my surprise the COL came with a higher grade.

                    Lastly shotgun applications. You're an experienced LEO, but that can help or totally hurt you. It's been said that the FBI puts a cap on how many LEO/Police officer applications they are willing to take. US Marshals are the only agency I've seen place a higher value on LEO experience compared to other experience. The times I investigated someone for an 1811 job, they more often than not didn't have previous Police or law enforcement experience.
                    Last edited by Levithane; 10-15-2020, 10:49 PM. Reason: grammar

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      Originally posted by Levithane View Post
                      US Marshals are the only agency I've seen place a higher value on LEO experience compared to other experience.
                      I second this. I applied to USSS and USMS with police experience at roughly the same time. Police experience seems to be prized by the USMS. I went through the USMS process quickly and was ignored (in retrospect, thankfully) by USSS.

                      Echoing what everyone says on here a clearance does not make you a better candidate.

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        Originally posted by IndexBoss View Post

                        I second this. I applied to USSS and USMS with police experience at roughly the same time. Police experience seems to be prized by the USMS. I went through the USMS process quickly and was ignored (in retrospect, thankfully) by USSS.

                        Echoing what everyone says on here a clearance does not make you a better candidate.

                        A clearance just reiterates the idea you maintain a lifestyle that allows you to be eligible for access to certain information. Military clearances (with no disrespect to the military), are handed out very liberally. I'm 100% serious when I say that, that is part of the reason why military clearances generally won't carry over to Federal service. Now if you have one from through OPM for another position that is TS cleared in the civilian service side of things, you will look better on paper combined with your job experience. Again its dependent on the position you held with the TS clearance. EX: An 1801 (or whatever number it is, non LE) Investigator position with a TS, is going to look better than a force protection position with a TS on paper when applying for an 1811 position.

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          You probably already made a decision on this, but just echoing what everyone else has said. I'm finishing a TS/SCI for the DOD and I've read about a lot of reciprocity issues when trying to transfer a DOD clearance to the DOS, DOJ, etc. And GS-06 is a huge step down, even for a brand new patrol officer. I wouldn't take any position that isn't an automatic GS-7/9/11, or some other variation that automatically leads to a higher grade.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 3315 users online. 259 members and 3056 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X