Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIA Police Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BIA Police Officer

    I just put in my application for a BIA Police Officer position for both Lame Deer and Crow Agency. I am currently in the process with the BIA for their Correctional Officer position out of Hardin, MT. I come from a background in law enforcement already and I really hope to make a career with the BIA. Let the waiting games begin.

  • #2
    Do you have Native preference?

    I've spoken to a BIA officer who say it's not even worth applying without it. However, there are threads in this forum suggesting that people do get hired without the preference.

    Seems like a crapshoot. I applied to half a dozen openings that didn't require Native preference, was not referred to any of them. But I've been on the best or well-qualified lists for other federal uniformed positions I applied for.

    Comment


    • darkhorse6
      darkhorse6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am a non native BIA K9 officer. It is possible but not easy to get hired. With added pressure from up top due to recent political issues, they have started hiring more non native applicants.

  • #3
    Well I'm non native. I've heard of others who are non native getting hired too. It's a long shot. But it's worth the shot.

    Comment


    • #4
      Originally posted by HawaiiPilot View Post
      I just put in my application for a BIA Police Officer position for both Lame Deer and Crow Agency. I am currently in the process with the BIA for their Correctional Officer position out of Hardin, MT. I come from a background in law enforcement already and I really hope to make a career with the BIA. Let the waiting games begin.
      If you're willing to work in the remote places that BIA employees often work and live, why not consider Border Patrol or Customs? BP and OFO are guaranteed job offers if you can pass each step, go up to GS-12, and are outstanding places to spend a career, or spring board to 1811 spots or other agencies. And I'd wager that the vast majority of CBP positions, both BP stations and Customs ports, are in better quality of living locations than many BIA locations.
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"


      honor first

      Comment


      • Exbpa340
        Exbpa340 commented
        Editing a comment
        In addition to the GS 12 FPL both (BPAs/CBPOs) get premium pay (BPAPRA/COPRA). A GS 12 with BPRA earns almost twice as much as a GL 8 BIA police officer.

      • darkhorse6
        darkhorse6 commented
        Editing a comment
        You speak facts. I’m a GL 8 step 7 and am considering leaving the agency for better pay and retirement.

      • Exbpa340
        Exbpa340 commented
        Editing a comment
        RUS salary table

        BIA PO GL 8 step 10 = $65,642

        BPA GS 12 step 10 = $99,741 + $24,935.25 (BPAPRA) = $124,676.25

        That number is used for High 3, TSP Matching and FEGLI.

    • #5
      I love country living. I come from Hawaii born and raised. I live on the most crowded island. I don't care about remote and I rather do police work like what I'm doing now and the BIA offers that type of policing.

      Comment


      • #6
        Then you should ensure you claim your Native Hawaiian status,
        Now go home and get your shine box!

        Comment


        • #7
          But you can only claim Native American preference correct? I am Native Hawaiian though.

          Comment


          • #8
            I'm a 10 point veteran. I have applied to about 20 BIA postings. I only ever heard back from one of them and was not even referred for any of the other ones. I'm non-native.

            Comment


            • darkhorse6
              darkhorse6 commented
              Editing a comment
              You’ll always get the not referred the first go around as a non native applicant. You’ll get either a random call from the chief of police or an email from HR but it will take a while. It’s almost like getting another step in the hiring process. There are two different certification lists... one being native only, and the other is everyone else.

            • fsi1212
              fsi1212 commented
              Editing a comment
              darkhorse6 that actually only happened once. Then I got contacted and after the initial interview, I never heard anything back. All the other ones I never heard back from period. And those are over a year old.

            • darkhorse6
              darkhorse6 commented
              Editing a comment
              fsi1212 yeah.... there’s no rhyme or reason to BIA hiring of non natives. If they gave best qualified non natives a chance then the agency would be a much better place to work. We are so grossly understaffed it is downright scary. I made the cut and it is possible for others as well.

          • #9
            Well I am a non-native, 10-point Veteran, and I didn't know much about the agency. I applied for only the correctional officer position and go call a month after I put my application in. So, I am putting the same hope into the Police Officer positions as well. I was turned down by BOP too. Also, on USAJOBS, I wasn't even put in the referred category for the corrections position. It still shows received and I am currently in the background phase of the hiring process. I was just waiting for my DOD clearance investigation to close, which it did. Now BIA is requesting a copy of my closed out investigation for their adjudication purposes.

            Was I supposed to be put in the referred category?
            Last edited by HawaiiPilot; 10-13-2020, 09:35 PM.

            Comment


            • #10
              You should really look at how your resume is worded. The right key words can make or break a resume.
              US Army Veteran
              The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

              Comment


              • #11
                There was a guy in my first FLETA academy who was a former BIA police officer. He didn't have Native American preference, but he was a veteran (former MP). His training was at FLETC Artesia. His stories didn't give me the urge to seek employment with BIA to be honest. It sounded like a lot of assaults, DV, DUIs, and drugs. I think he was near the Southern Border, too... :/

                Comment


                • #12
                  Originally posted by Anthropologist View Post
                  There was a guy in my first FLETA academy who was a former BIA police officer. He didn't have Native American preference, but he was a veteran (former MP). His training was at FLETC Artesia. His stories didn't give me the urge to seek employment with BIA to be honest. It sounded like a lot of assaults, DV, DUIs, and drugs. I think he was near the Southern Border, too... :/
                  That’s life on the Res.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

                  Comment


                  • Anthropologist
                    Anthropologist commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I was a volunteer for a Native American advocacy and aid group in undergraduate. Some of the reservations can be rather depressing...

                • #13
                  Originally posted by HawaiiPilot View Post
                  Well I am a non-native, 10-point Veteran, and I didn't know much about the agency. I applied for only the correctional officer position and go call a month after I put my application in. So, I am putting the same hope into the Police Officer positions as well. I was turned down by BOP too. Also, on USAJOBS, I wasn't even put in the referred category for the corrections position. It still shows received and I am currently in the background phase of the hiring process. I was just waiting for my DOD clearance investigation to close, which it did. Now BIA is requesting a copy of my closed out investigation for their adjudication purposes.

                  Was I supposed to be put in the referred category?
                  When you look at the app info, there is a list of KSA stuff. You need to address each item in your app and resume in order to make it past the computer triage system.

                  Like the comment above, you need to use the same words in your resume as are in the KSA sections.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

                  Comment


                  • darkhorse6
                    darkhorse6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This......

                • #14
                  https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581231500

                  https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580074200
                  US Army Veteran
                  The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

                  Comment


                  • #15
                    https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581682800#

                    This posting is for District 3 (SW US)
                    Last edited by darkhorse6; 10-16-2020, 05:23 PM.
                    US Army Veteran
                    The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 3248 users online. 126 members and 3122 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X